NCAA Gymnastics

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Wow - Dana Duckworth is stepping down from Alabama. Per CollegeGymNews she had recently signed an extension so this was a significant surprise.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Patiently waiting for the rest of that story.
If it hasn’t been leaked by now, we may have to wait until the last of her recruits runs out of eligibility. My charitable side thinks that there’s something family related. My suspicious side says that there were additional racism complaints, this time backed up by video or by trusted white team members.

firstflight

Thoughts on preseason previews so far?

Oklahoma looks sharp as always, with the floor depth they’ve been wanting here this season. Florida can afford to pace, but I’m really pleasantly surprised by how well Nguyen’s routines will hold up, and it’s great to see Hurd ready.

Michigan is not quite at their ridiculous mid-December form from last season, but they don’t want to be. Interesting that the freshmen barely look to figure in lineups again. Utah looks fine for preseason, although I’m curious if Brenner is going to get her Y1.5 reliably back because vault continues to be their hindrance for a title.

Georgia is improved but nothing about the preview makes them an obvious climb from last place in the SEC. LSU looks on track, but them falling short the last couple of seasons was not because of the quality of the routines. So we’ll have to see how postseason peaking goes.

Kentucky looks significantly stronger than Georgia, and their 10 vaults look more under control. Minnesota was stronger than expected without Loper and Ramler, especially bars. Missouri is hard to tell because it seemed like they were fine with a scratchy meet for their pacing. Illinois looks in better shape especially on vault and floor.

For the teams that haven’t had their preview meets yet, training videos have provided clues. Cal is going to love the addition of Frazier, and vaulting is finally going to be more competitive this season. UCLA vaults also look stronger. Alabama’s vaulting under Justin Spring looks more dynamic already, so not relying on the gymnasts performing at their physical max to pull off the Y1.5’s. Arkansas is really going to rely on Flatley and Price for bolstering lineups.

Those are just the top-off-my head impressions I have so far.

In terms of championship predictions, hard to say at the moment. But the reality is that Oklahoma has surpassed 198 for five straight championship meets. That’s crazy good peaking ability from the coaching staff. So teams that want to win have to be able to clear 198 minimum. If OU is having a slightly off meet, like 2018, 2021, and 2022, then maybe a 198.1 or 198.2 may be enough. If OU is firing full strength, then it will take a 198.4 to win. What teams realistically can hit 198.4 in Four on the Floor? To me, only Florida clearly can, and maybe Michigan if they hit at 2021 level but with a significantly better beam rotation. If OU is slightly off, then I think Utah, Alabama, and LSU could pull it off if they’re able to reach and then absolutely peak for the championship.

firstflight

Mitova’s daughter, Jessica Hutchinson, is going to pay tribute to her mom’s iconic Blues for Klook floor routine this season!

Aceon6

My TiVo tells me that SEC channel will have Mich St vs. ‘bama on the 6th at 7:00 eastern followed by LSU/Utah on ESPN2 at 9:00. Let the college sticks begin!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I've been watching college gymnastics since 5 PM EST tonight and it's been exactly what I needed after a tough day at work. I've seen some really great gymnastics tonight and it's been pretty exciting overall. Anyone else catch any of the meets tonight? This Super 16 thing in Vegas has been pretty fun and it's allowing me to watch some teams that I rarely get to see. I'm looking forward to seeing Auburn and UCLA in their session tomorrow night! :cheer:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Dang, this meet with Oklahoma, Michigan, Auburn, and UCLA has been OUTSTANDING. So many great performances tonight! It almost felt like the finals for the national championship and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see any of these teams in that final four later this spring! :cheer:

AND SUNI GOT HER FIRST PERFECT TEN OF THE SEASON ON BEAM! :cheer2:

Aceon6

I’m woefully behind. I have 4 meets left to watch from last weekend along with the 3 that were on last night. Any tips on “must see” meets? I’ve got to either watch or delete before going down the Euros/US Nats rabbit hole.

Lara

Definitely Florida-Auburn from last week. Kentucky-LSU did not end well :( so skip, but LSU-Oklahoma would probably be my next choice.

Lara

Ha, was just watching UWash vs. UCLA. After one of the UWash gymnasts went on bars, the commentator said “she comes from an athletic family, her father and aunt were figure skating Olympic medalists”. Rewound to check and her last name was Oppegard. :)
I think they could’ve named Michelle at least!

love skating

Clueless American
Ha, was just watching UWash vs. UCLA. After one of the UWash gymnasts went on bars, the commentator said “she comes from an athletic family, her father and aunt were figure skating Olympic medalists”. Rewound to check and her last name was Oppegard. :)
I think they could’ve named Michelle at least!
Oh wow! I watched the meet but was fast forwarding so I missed the comment. Gosh I feel old that Karen and Peter's daughter is in college. I know Kristi Yamaguchi's daughter is a freshman at UCLA doing theater. All these skaters with adult kids - I'm so so old!!!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
The Auburn-Arkansas meet last night ended up being a pretty good one overall if you're looking for more recs. I find the Auburn girls so easy to root for overall and Suni continues to make me smile. :cheer:

Oklahoma-Utah tomorrow night should be another great one this weekend! :)

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I haven't watched gymnastics (NCAA) for years, and I guess I'm old, but when did all the floor routines turn into sexy gyrations.

Aceon6

Conference championships today and all the majors are on TV. I will have about 10 hours to get through before worlds starts on Tuesday night. Sleep be damned!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Does anyone have the list of who has advanced to regional finals so far?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Woo-hoo! The Beavers (and LSU) advanced to the Denver Regional Final!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I was pretty sure UCLA would make it through their semifinal but I am SO happy for Ohio State! They had a tough bracket but did a great job in the semis! :cheer:

firstflight

I know there’s no way to avoid this scenario based on rankings heading into Regionals, but it’s unfortunate that Oklahoma, Utah, and UCLA are all in the same semifinal. It seems likely that a 197.9 will not be enough to make it to Finals from that semifinal.

I don’t think the second team will need above a 197.9 to make it to Finals from the other semifinal.

beckab81

I know there’s no way to avoid this scenario based on rankings heading into Regionals, but it’s unfortunate that Oklahoma, Utah, and UCLA are all in the same semifinal. It seems likely that a 197.9 will not be enough to make it to Finals from that semifinal.

I don’t think the second team will need above a 197.9 to make it to Finals from the other semifinal.
I thought all 3 teams qualified to Nationals (along w/ Kentucky). At that point there are 2 sessions, but the 4 teams with the top scores make it to the finals, no matter which session they were in. Still seems unlikely that all 3 teams will make it to the final, with FL and Michigan likely taking 2 of the top scores, but there's still a chance.

firstflight

I thought all 3 teams qualified to Nationals (along w/ Kentucky). At that point there are 2 sessions, but the 4 teams with the top scores make it to the finals, no matter which session they were in. Still seems unlikely that all 3 teams will make it to the final, with FL and Michigan likely taking 2 of the top scores, but there's still a chance.
By semifinal, I mean the next round at Nationals that Oklahoma, Utah, UCLA, and Kentucky are in together. It’s still top 2 team from each semifinal makes it, not top 4 scores. So that’s how Denver made it over Michigan in 2019.
Source: https://www.ncaa.com/championships/gymnastics-women/nc/road-to-the-championship

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Don't mind me while I sit here stunned that Michigan didn't make out of their regional final tonight.... :eek:

Bummed that Ohio State came SO close to being top two in their regional final yesterday but dang, they had an awesome season, one of their best, and should be extremely proud of themselves. Rooting for Kentucky, Denver, and UCLA at this point! :cheer:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I just can't with the scoring. I mean, it's not a surprise, but ugh.

Michigan fan here, obviously :) I have no issues with Denver winning because the way they closed out beam was like a beautiful dream, and honestly, watching the split screen I couldn't really see things so closely so there is nothing specific that I found outrageous.

But Michigan's risk and dynamics in their routine were not constantly matched by other teams. The height on their release skills, E tumbles and vaults were fantastic. They didn't make that many mistakes on the routines they counted.

I wish TPTB would go to:

2 byes to National Semifinal based on NQS (2)
4 regionals for teams 3 - 42 with the same schedule
Regional Champs qualify to National Semifinals (4)
Regional 2nd and 3rd place teams qualify for a National Play-In
National Play In - The 8 teams that go to the National Play-In get seeded into two quad meets based on a combination of NQS and Regionals scores (both rounds), winner of each quad meet goes to Nationals. (2)

Not sure when they would do the National Play-In round, if it would be the weekend before or Wednesday before.

The way scoring is in NCAA, it's a wild crapshoot to leave it to basically one meet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information