News and updates à la Française, part quatre

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I hope for Léa's sake that she's not injured or ill.
She is neither. Lorine has finally been picked out because she is the new national champion and was 5th at Euros. The French fed should never have made an announcement ahead of Euros saying Lea would be sent to Montreal. It was stupid and unfair for both skaters. Considering her rollercoaster like results, up and down and up and down again, and more downs than ups, Lea would probably not pass the cut after the SP at Worlds. But that was something obvious months ago. Just as it was obvious that Lorine would almost certainly fare better.

Orm Irian

She is neither. Lorine has finally been picked out because she is the new national champion and was 5th at Euros. The French fed should never have made an announcement ahead of Euros saying Lea would be sent to Montreal. It was stupid and unfair for both skaters. Considering her rollercoaster like results, up and down and up and down again, and more downs than ups, Lea would probably not pass the cut after the SP at Worlds. But that was something obvious months ago. Just as it was obvious that Lorine would almost certainly fare better.
Good to know that her health is fine - it's always the concern when this sort of change happens. And I'm very glad for Lorine to have the opportunity. She deserves it.

zigzig

Yeah - what's the point of announcing when you’re still gonna monitor results and make a decision after. Really poorly handled.

Happy for Lorine and think she is the right choice but very messy handling on the fed's part.

Sylvia

TBD
Tickets for the French team tour in April 2024 (P/C "will be present on the majority of the tour dates"): https://francepatinoire.com/commande.php?id_even=37

The first 2 stops (La Garde on April 9 & Marseille on April 11) include this info:

Retrouvez l'équipe de France de patinage artistique en tournée dans toute la France. Avec la participation exceptionnelle du couple médaillé d'or olympique, Gabriella Papadakis et Guillaume Cizeron et de Adam Siao Him Fa, double champion d'Europe de patinage
Gratuit pour les enfants jusqu'à 5 ans
Venez admirer les champions de France Evgeniia Lopareva et Geoffrey Brissaud, ainsi que Camille Kovalev et Pavel Kovalev, sans oublier Lorine Schild. Ils seront tous accompagnés des membres médaillés de l'équipe de France. Une tournée réinventée sous le signe de la modernité et de l'audace. Découvrez le défi sur glace 2024, avec la participation du public, une expérience inoubliable et spectaculaire !

ETA: I see P/C also listed for the final 3 shows in Amiens (April 19) and Cergy (April 21 both shows).
Lea Serna will be on the entire tour, according to FFSG's latest FB & Instagram post.

Last edited:

Evgeniafan

Tickets for the French team tour in April 2024 (P/C "will be present on the majority of the tour dates"): https://francepatinoire.com/commande.php?id_even=37

The first 2 stops (La Garde on April 9 & Marseille on April 11) include this info:

Retrouvez l'équipe de France de patinage artistique en tournée dans toute la France. Avec la participation exceptionnelle du couple médaillé d'or olympique, Gabriella Papadakis et Guillaume Cizeron et de Adam Siao Him Fa, double champion d'Europe de patinage
Venez admirer les champions de France Evgeniia Lopareva et Geoffrey Brissaud, ainsi que Camille Kovalev et Pavel Kovalev, sans oublier Lorine Schild. Ils seront tous accompagnés des membres médaillés de l'équipe de France. Une tournée réinventée sous le signe de la modernité et de l'audace. Découvrez le défi sur glace 2024, avec la participation du public, une expérience inoubliable et spectaculaire !

ETA: I see P/C also listed for the final 3 shows in Amiens (April 19) and Cergy (April 21 both shows).
Lea Serna will be on the entire tour, according to FFSG's latest FB & Instagram post.
I believe Kevin Aymoz will be at all the locations.

Evgeniafan

Adam was amazing and gotta commend the judges for not pulling some bullshit 1st group penalty with his PCS.

I also really liked Luc E - his jumps are nuts but just love the vibe and programs.
Why does Luc get edge calls on both Lutz and Flip?

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Josie-Anne Taillon for Radio-Canada Sports (March 25) - Adam Siao Him Fa's crazy day:
Translated excerpts:
But the journey of Frenchman Adam Siao Him Fa is worthy of a film script.
The 23-year-old skater arrived in Montreal with the weight of French figure skating on his shoulders. [...]
The young prodigy, however, collapsed during his short program, missing all of his jumps. A good performance for 19th place, very far from expectations and not at all up to his talent. [...]
In France, the media were merciless.
Adam Siao Him Fa has abandoned any chance of a medal, writes Le Parisien, which adds: It's a real disappointment for French skating.
Adam Siao Him Fa in distress, headlines L'Équipe, with an unflattering photo.
On Saturday, when the skater took the ice, the best he could do was move up the rankings, definitely a top 10, maybe a top 5.
With nothing left to lose, the young man performed the triple and quadruple jumps with the confidence and consistency that he lacked during the short program, to deliver a simply perfect free program.
Formidable, exceptional, extraordinary, sublime, said analyst Alain Goldberg, who is not known for his restraint.
And this is not to be made up, Adam Siao Him Fa skated to an extract from The Quality of Mercy, by Max Richter. The Montreal public granted him mercy. The spectators gave him a standing ovation even before the end of his program and, to thank them, the fiery skater added a backflip, although banned in competition by the international federation. He was penalized two points for this gesture, but the crowd was delighted.
In an interview with Radio-Canada Sports, Adam Siao Him Fa stressed that his somersault was not planned when asked if it was a snub to the federation.
It was a surprise, Siao Him Fa began. After the last element, I said to myself: "I have done all my work, I know that for the podium, it might not be this year, will be for later. For this program, I said to myself: “We’re doing it.” For personal pleasure, but also for the public, because I think we need to give a little something new to our sport.
The young man responded with a smirk, the same as his coaches when they were pointed out the treatment that the French media had reserved for him the day before. [...]
The tone of our French colleagues has changed.
Huge, wrote L’Équipe. [...]
The perfection of the American Ilia Malinin left its mark on Saturday, as did the tenacity and bravado of the young Frenchman.
It promises for the next season and the 2026 Olympic Games.
Adam's epic FS video (NOT geoblocked :cheer:) is embedded at the top of the article.

Sylvia

TBD

FFSG's March 29th press release: https://www.ffsg.org/Tounee-de-l-equipe-de-France
Great skaters such as Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron (five-time World champions and Olympic champions), Adam Siao Him Fa (double French champion and double 2023 European champion), Kevin Aymoz (five-time French champion and 4th at the 2023 World Championships). World 2023), Lorine Schild (2023 French champion), as well as the couple Camille and Pavel Kovalev (French champions) constitute an exceptional field.

Sylvia

TBD
Videos are geoblocked but Anne Boyer's interview can be read (updated March 27):

Translated excerpt from the end:

ASHF: There were ups and downs. But these world championships made me understand that you should never give up, that a competition is never over until the last skater in the freestyle has received their marks. You can have a bad program, it happens to everyone, but behind it you must not give up. We must fight until the end. This is why after this catastrophic short program, I wanted to prove to others and to myself that this performance did not at all reflect what I was capable of. It was a great revenge.
We know that the focus is on the Olympic Games in Milan in 2026 (to be followed in full on Eurosport). We talked about Nathan Chen, who, four years after his comeback, became Olympic champion. Does it give you any ideas? Is 2026 a real goal?
ASHF: Yes, it will happen very quickly. Today I know that the medal is possible, it is possible. This whole season has proven to me that I have my place among the best in the world. I will work towards this goal, but there are still many steps to take to get there.
Exactly, how do you plan to progress and evolve?
ASHF: During the off-season, we will of course work on technique, work on new jumps, but the short-term objective is also to bring new things to my programs, to bring things that are not have not yet been made. There are going to be surprises, we are thinking about them.

Sylvia

TBD
Villard de Lans Patinage’s sneak peek clip of their new Ballet on Ice program:

Nmsis

Villard de Lans Patinage’s sneak peek clip of their new Ballet on Ice program
Karine Arribert and costuming / fashion / silhouette . A long love story. I' m still under the spell of her novice ballet team's costuming last season.

OTOH, it seems that Martin Chardain has moved to Villard and is training with Louise Bordet. 👀

Villard's novice team (whose theme must be clothing) entered the Trophée du Lys 2 weeks ago (and so did les Pétillants, Chalons' team in the Open 15- category with Dania Mouaden/Théo Bigot and Louise Cohas Bogey/Daniil Grishin).
Their senior team should enter the Marseille Trophy tomorrow. They will compete again at the Nations' Cup in Bordeaux on April 25-28, then at the National Championships in Villard on May 5th.

I wonder when Loicia and Theo will be able to join them. They were part of the ballet team in Villard's gala a few days ago
The tour of the french team starts on the 8th so it is close but it starts near Marseille.
The Nations' Cup will happen a few days after the end of the tour.
The championships are a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Nmsis

I think I found my answer on Villard's Instagram.
Loïcia and Théo are training with the ballet on ice team in Marseille.

Nmsis

The 1st show is actually next Monday 04/8 in Annecy and it's a "private" one, unsponsored by FFSG but the roster is the same as the French tour.
Is it just me or is there a real problem with the organisation of that tour ?
And is it a problem of the federation or a problem thrown at the federation by Gailhaguet's pals to sabotage Mrs Noury (or both) ?
That's a naive question.

Reminder : that tour used to be handled by Gailhaguet's pals (or at least people who submitted to his feudal system). And he used the possible withdrawal of those pals as a "blackmail" way to force the Federal Council to get back fully into the federation last season. That's why the Federal Council and Mrs Noury got mad at him and those who supported his case.
So now the fed (who got rid of those who were used to handle this tour and is therefore lacking experience) is building this year's tour from scratch (and that might cause some mishap) and some (negative) stuff is happening around it (rumors, anonymous letters, defections of rinks/clubs, according to Candeloro's podcast). And from years of following the FFSG, it usually means one thing and it's that Gailhaguet is at work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information