News and updates à la Française, part quatre

seabm7

An article on Day 1:

oubik

Well, if I've got all the scores correct from Skate-info-glace.com + Passion patinage articles:

the overall results are:
Junior ID:
Loïcia Demougeot / Théo Lemercier SD 67,22 (or 67,02) + FD 98,74 = total 165,76 or ,96
Marie Dupayage / Thomas Nabais 61,12 + 95,39 = 156,51
Lou Terreaux / Noé Perron 57,43 + 76,99 = 134,42
Célina Fradji / Jean-Hans Fourneaux 48,51 + 76,15 = 124,66
Louise Bordet / Thomas Gipoulou 49,62 + 71,22 = 120,84 (formed as a French solo dance nationals participants las year)
Eva Bernard / Tom Jochum 47,84 + 61,14?? = 110,98?? (one of those two numbers are wrong)

Senior ID:
Adelina Galyavieva / Louis Thauron 75,19 + 114,02 = 189,21
Evgeniia Lopareva / Geoffrey Brissaud 71,94 + 111,03 = 182,97
Marie-Jade Lauriault / Romain Le Gac 71,91 + 99,24 = 171,15
Julia Wagret / Pierre Souquet-Basiège 61,77 + 94,74 = 156,51

Junior Ladies:
Lola Ghozali 48,68 + 93,22 = 141,90
Lorine Schild 47,22 + 83,34?? = 132,56?? (again, one of those are wrong)

Senior Ladies:
Maïa Mazzara 54,26 + 112,09 = 166,35
Léa Serna 49,02 + 88,17 = 136,19 (should be 137??)

Senior Pairs:
Coline Keriven / Noël-Antoine Pierre 55,03 + 109,27 = 164,30
Cléo Hamon / Denys Strekalin 65,79 (or 65,49) + WD

Kovalev's were not able to participate due to some controversy of taking them out of the "Ministery" list which action is FFSG trying to protest against (but please French speaking FSUers would explain better what's going on I think).

Senior Men:
Kevin Aymoz 72,64 + 183,03 = 255,67
Romain Ponsart 86,19 + 142,05 = 228,24
Adam Siao Him Fa 71,70 + 151,07 = 222,77

I think we have to wait for Skate-info-glace.com second article to clear all the markings.

Orm Irian

It's a shame Lauriault/Le Gac haven't been able to rebound from their rough 2019-20 season, but it is good to see Galyavieva/Thauron and Lopareva/Brissaud making advances; they're good teams and hard workers and I like seeing it pay off (just sad it isn't working out for L/LG right now). Going by this score and their Masters protocol G/T seem to be getting over the difficulty they had with the Finnstep pattern last season, too, which is great for them.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Could you please translate why? Unfortunatelly I don't understand French. Is Guillaume still not recovert?
Using google translate as I have no time to translate

Due to a lack of optimal preparation, the quadruple world champions and 2018 Olympic vice-champions in ice dance, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron, decided to skip the World Figure Skating Championships which were to take place. hold in Sweden next March.
It was to be their only meeting of the season. By skipping the European Championships in January, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron had to fly to Sweden, to Stockholm next March to compete in what was then their only objective of the season: the World Championships. (March 22-28). But for lack of an absence of competition for almost a year now, added to Covid protocols requiring quarantine periods, the two Clermontois have decided to draw an end to this season. This is to focus on their next goal which is the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing.
“We have never experienced such a long period without competition. "
GUILLAUME CIZERON

In the press release from the French ice sports federation, Guillaume Cizeron explains the reasons that led them to set this new goal: “We have never known such a long period without competition. Cascading cancellations create a climate of uncertainty and doubt that is difficult to manage for all top athletes. The holding of the World Championships being still hypothetical, we needed a more solid, more concrete objective. The 2022 Olympic Games are our priority and we will do everything with our team and the federation to prepare them in the best possible conditions ”.
Too long a time without competition when the last of the two Clermont dancers dates back to January 2020, at the European Championships in Graz (Austria).

Sylvia

TBD
In the press release from the French ice sports federation, Guillaume Cizeron explains the reasons that led them to set this new goal: “We have never known such a long period without competition. Cascading cancellations create a climate of uncertainty and doubt that is difficult to manage for all top athletes. The holding of the World Championships being still hypothetical, we needed a more solid, more concrete objective. The 2022 Olympic Games are our priority and we will do everything with our team and the federation to prepare them in the best possible conditions ”.
Link to the press release: https://www.ffsg.org/Papadakis-Cizeron-forfait-pour-les-Mondiaux

Gabriella:
“We went through different emotional phases during this time and needed to revise our goals to create a new dynamic. We want to put all the chances on our side for the next season, hoping that the conditions will be met next September for a normal resumption of sporting events. We can't wait to get back on the ice, the competition and the public."

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So, is the French #2 dance team likely to earn France a spot in the Olympics or do we anticipate that P/C will need to compete at Nebelhorn?

Carina

Sad, but understandable. They really don’t need another world title and I think it’s still unsure if Gabi can get back to Canada if she’s leaving. For sure they’re more hungry for Olympique gold and want to be able to train in IAM then risking anything.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Understandable decision from them.

However, it does greatly affect the other French dance teams, because with decision it seems quite likely that France will only have 1 Olympic spot in dance. So no Olympics for anyone but P/C. (This is if they can actually hold the Worlds in Stockholm and decide the spots there.)

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
However, it does greatly affect the other French dance teams, because with decision it seems quite likely that France might only have 1 Olympic spot in dance. So no Olympics for anyone but P/C. (This is if they can actually hold the Worlds in Stockholm and decide the spots there.)
If France qualifies for the second part of the team event, P/C would have to skate both segments.

I hope that we'll at least get to see them in shows at some point in the next few months.

starrynight

I don't think this will make any difference to anything. P/C's only main current competition, S/K have been really badly affected with rona and have lost a lot of training time.

I think that if any worlds goes ahead, it will not be like a regular worlds and I really doubt that much political point scoring will be achieved with the placements.

If anything, a little break might actually help P/C come back a bit fresher in the judges eyes next season.

Last edited:

Moustaffask8r

Due to a lack of optimal preparation, the quadruple world champions and 2018 Olympic vice-champions in ice dance, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron, decided to skip the World Figure Skating Championships which were to take place. hold in Sweden next March.
It was to be their only meeting of the season. By skipping the European Championships in January, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron had to fly to Sweden, to Stockholm next March to compete in what was then their only objective of the season: the World Championships. (March 22-28). But for lack of an absence of competition for almost a year now, added to ********* protocols requiring quarantine periods, the two Clermontois have decided to draw an end to this season. This is to focus on their next goal which is the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing.
“We have never experienced such a long period without competition. "
GUILLAUME CIZERON

Too long a time without competition when the last of the two Clermont dancers dates back to January 2020, at the European Championships in Graz (Austria).
Exactly my thought... this whole year with multiple cancelations, not knowing if they would compete has certainly created anxiety it is in the best interest for all athlete to cancel this season and move on to the next and get ready and rested for a very demanding season. Les annulations en cascade provoquent un climat d’incertitude et de doute difficile à gérer pour tous les sportifs de haut niveau.

Orm Irian

I'm very relieved and also feeling rather proud that Gabi and Guillaume have had the courage to make this call. They're putting their wellbeing and their futures first, along with protecting their communities (training, hosting and living - let's be real, the last thing Sweden needs right now is people potentially bringing in more lurgi or more variant strains, and the last thing Montreal needs is people potentially bringing the same back with them). They're also providing a model for other skaters to draw on if they want to make the same choice, both skaters with similar levels of status and influence and those much further down the ranks who might feel much more pressure to compete if Worlds go ahead. I hope the French federation as a whole follows their lead and that other high-status skaters across all disciplines do too.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I’m sad we will likely never see their new free. Reminds me of never getting to see Kwan’s 2006 program. I do think this is the best decision for them.

Orm Irian

I’m sad we will likely never see their new free. Reminds me of never getting to see Kwan’s 2006 program. I do think this is the best decision for them.
They might keep it for the Olympic season, you never know!

Dobre

I don't think this will make any difference to anything.
It will make a huge difference to France's 2nd, 3rd, & 4th place dance teams. All of whom have potential, but none of whom are favorites for the top ten. Could happen, though, if other teams pull out. Which doesn't seem all that unlikely. (If Worlds happens).

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
It will make a huge difference to France's 2nd, 3rd, & 4th place dance teams. All of whom have potential, but none of whom are favorites for the top ten. Could happen, though, if other teams pull out. Which doesn't seem all that unlikely. (If Worlds happens).
L/LG finished 13th in 2018 and 14th in 2019. I think it would take a lot of withdrawing (if worlds happens) to get them to the top 10. In all likelihood, if worlds happens, if it’s used as the qualifier, France only ends up with one spot for the Olympics. P/C would get that spot, so while not going to worlds won’t make a different for them, it would mean another team would miss out on the opportunity to go to an Olympic Games and that’s a big deal.

I keep thinking about Fabian Bourzat who competed at worlds in 2013 with a (groin?) injury and against medical advice to ensure that France would have two spots for Sochi. If there had only been one spot, he and Nathalie would have gotten it. He took that risk so someone else wouldn’t miss out.

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
L/LG finished 13th in 2018 and 14th in 2019. I think it would take a lot of withdrawing (if worlds happens) to get them to the top 10.
It would also take the LeGacs to beat Galyavieva/Thauron and Lopareva/Brissaud to be selected. something they fail to do at December Challenge ;)

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Ladies were really bad indeed. :(
Yup. I only watched Mazzara and Serna, but that was so rough. Shades of the Candice Didier years. 😳 I'm assuming lack of ice time and training is a major factor, because both were so improved last season.

Hopefully MBM's training is going well in Florida. I just checked her Wiki and I'm very excited to see her LP (They Don't Care About Us by Michael Jackson)—very topical, rarely (never?) used in skating, and one of MJ's best.

mjb52

Can MBM still qualify for Worlds even though she wasn't able to go to Nationals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information