Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
How do we know who did it? It could have been a hack to jeapordize the validity of the meeting making the outcome void and buying more time for the ROC?

The clip was sent via email. The story explicitly says that it was sent by an IOC official, and from the wording in the story it sounds like the official's name was on the account (i.e. it wasn't from [email protected] or some general account like that). If the official's account was hacked to send the email, then that needs to be investigated too.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But it’s an odd clip to share. Who gains what from RUSADA yelling about the Swedish lab?

The Russian federation seems to assume it's bulletproof, which isn't unreasonable given that Russian athletes are still at the games despite the events of the past few years. My guess is that it's meant to shore up whatever argument Russia is making to the CAS, e.g. it was a contaminant, the lab effed up, the lab has a history of incompetence.......

Bigbird

The Russian federation seems to assume it's bulletproof, which isn't unreasonable given that Russian athletes are still at the games despite the events of the past few years. My guess is that it's meant to shore up whatever argument Russia is making to the CAS, e.g. it was a contaminant, the lab effed up, the lab has a history of incompetence.......
But if they knew why routinely use that lab, so it paints them as negligent. Because obviously integrity isn't important.

Sylvia

TBD
NYT article by Tariq Panja:
Excerpt:
Yet while the hearing was taking place, several members of the news media were surprised to receive an email from an I.O.C. official that included a video of an interview with the head of the Russian Olympic Committee that was played during the hearing. In the clip, which was described to The New York Times by a person who had viewed it, the Russian official, Stanislav Pozdnyakov, slammed the handling of Valieva’s sample by the Russia antidoping agency’s Swedish testing partner.
Sharing the clip was extremely unusual; the I.O.C. and the Russian Olympic Committee are on opposing sides in the case, and the hearing was still underway at the time. The video outlining one aspect of Russia’s defense appeared to be the only one that the Olympic official shared with members of the news media.

Reposting @DobrinFan's posts here from the thread on the same topic in the Olympics subforum:
... the Russian official, Stanislav Pozdnyakov in his little television interview today said the samples didn't arrive at the [Stockholm] lab until Jan 19th. What claims could they have if the results came back within 20 days?
Covid was the initial reason. But today, the official on television said the samples arrived on the 19th. He didn't give any reason why it took that long to get to the lab. He didn't blame the shipping delay on the Swedes or their side.
Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Excerpt:
Yet while the hearing was taking place, several members of the news media were surprised to receive an email from an I.O.C. official that included a video of an interview with the head of the Russian Olympic Committee that was played during the hearing. In the clip, which was described to The New York Times by a person who had viewed it, the Russian official, Stanislav Pozdnyakov, slammed the handling of Valieva’s sample by the Russia antidoping agency’s Swedish testing partner.
Sharing the clip was extremely unusual; the I.O.C. and the Russian Olympic Committee are on opposing sides in the case, and the hearing was still underway at the time. The video outlining one aspect of Russia’s defense appeared to be the only one that the Olympic official shared with members of the news media.

Reposting here from the thread in the Olympics subforum:

Hmmmm.
That's really interesting indeed.

DELTA

You're the one assuming it. But they can't since they were busted before and have to know that they have a target on their back

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
You're the one assuming it. But they can't since they were busted before and have to know that they have a target on their back

No, I am not assuming it. Please read my post before you respond. I was saying that the Russian federation thinks it's bulletproof, not that I think it is.

nlloyd

Excerpt:

Reposting @DobrinFan's posts here from the thread on the same topic in the Olympics subforum:

Hmmmm.
In which case the IOC sending out a video clip about the incompetence of the Swedish lab, during the hearing, serves actually to point out Rusada's incompetence. One minute they are blaming the lab for the delay and the next admitting to sending in the sample three weeks late.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Excerpt:

Hmmmm.
It sounds like they’re getting more desperate that they have to go there.
In which case the IOC sending out a video clip about the incompetence of the Swedish lab, during the hearing, serves actually to point out Rusada's incompetence. One minute they are blaming the lab for the delay and the next admitting to sending in the sample three weeks late.
More than three weeks late - closer to four - 26 days from Dec 25th when the sample was taken.

I really would like to know what excuse RUSADA is offering up as to why they didn't get the specimens to the lab until Jan 19th. And, the lab had the results back in 21 days, so just only 1 day past the expected return time, and not all that bad considering covid staffing delays as well as what I'm sure was an increased volume of testing requests in the run-up to the Olympics.

RUSADA really has a lot to answer for here.

Bigbird

More than three weeks late - closer to four - 26 days from Dec 25th when the sample was taken.

I really would like to know what excuse RUSADA is offering up as to why they didn't get the specimens to the lab until Jan 19th. And, the lab had the results back in 21 days, so just only 1 day past the expected return time, and not all that bad considering covid staffing delays as well as what I'm sure was an increased volume of testing requests in the run-up to the Olympics.

RUSADA really has a lot to answer for here.
Wow. Do they do this for all the other samples? Is it that going forwards RUSADA will no longer exist? Will an international body be doing all testing? This is so amazingly ridiculous.

nlloyd

Going back to the WADA regulations on lifting suspensions: earlier discussion on the forum noted that article 7 applied and that fairness was related to the possibility of the athlete ingesting a contaminated substance, and only that. So is the panel simply weighing that up or are they evaluating fairness within a broader set of criteria, including the fact that Valieva's is a minor, the role Team Tutberidze played, the delay in the lab results, etc?

Here was the earlier discussion.

bladesofgorey

well, the chain of possession should clear a lot of this up (regarding why it took so long). I'm interested in where it sat for 4 weeks. TBH I am thinking it wasn't delayed on purpose because unless they are also testing athlete's samples themselves on the same days the official testing happens I don't think anyone thought one of these would be flagged as positive.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
You don't realize it's the same thing. Do you?

It's not the same thing, and I don't appreciate you inferring things in my posts that are not there - especially after I've explained what I meant. Don't bother responding to what I post if you're going to mischaracterize it.

Sylvia

TBD
The head of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC), Stanislav Pozdnyakov, called the delay in the publication of a positive doping test of Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva at the Beijing Olympics "very, very strange".
Edited to add - go here for a more accirate translation: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ny-for-team-medals.109402/page-6#post-6202379 ] ... Pozdnyakov said in an interview with the Sunday Time program on Channel One.
"And the second point. It looks very, very strange that this test was made public just after the Russian team won the gold medal in the team tournament. Therefore, until I get all these questions intelligibly, clearly and distinctly, I will put under doubt the transparency of this procedure," the head of the ROC added.

Last edited:

concorde

Hmmm ... what is the 1/2 life of these drugs? Could that have been why they delayed sending these out?

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
WADA announced they are going to investigate the entire team
Suppose it is determined that Team Eteri took performance enhancing drugs. Do you strip all the senior women of their 2021-22 medals (including any they may win at the Olympics or possibly Worlds)? Do you strip the medals of other skaters she coached (Kvitelashvili, Tarasova/Morozov)? Are the skaters she coached allowed to compete in 2022-23? Are the junior skaters she coached banned? Would Alexandra Trusova, who started with Team Eteri, left it to be coached by Plushenko, and then returned to Team Eteri be under special scrutiny?

These aren't rhetorical questions and I'm not trying to make a point. I'm really curious about what people here think the ramifications should be for the skaters who have seemed to benefit from Eteri's coaching.

Bigbird

Hmmm ... what is the 1/2 life of these drugs? Could that have been why they delayed sending these out?
Good question. But if chain of custody is compromised does that mean she gets to skate? Does this call into question the results of the entire team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information