Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Amy L

Sobinina started skating relatively late and has an acrobatics background, so I can see where this partnership's style is going. She's had injuries and nearly quit more than once, though, so I hope she's doing better now before getting into an elite level senior pair.

hanca

Values her privacy
I don’t think Sobinina is a very strong partner. She did pretty well with Volodin for about a half season and then it went downhill. There were gossips about her injury and having to retire but she paired up with Bakhmat and did only one competition in the whole season and the result was not that great. Then she paired up with Mironov - Mironov was very strong with Mukhametzianova and with Geinish, and yet with Sobinina they didn’t even qualify for the nationals and in all their competitions they placed at the bottom or very close to the bottom. So putting her in pair with Khodykin is wasting Khodykin’s potential. But she does have a background in acrobatics and that’s what Pavliuschenko/Khodykin concentrated to stand out. I wish he chose Vika Vasilieva because at least she can jump, unlike Sobinia. Well, let’s see if Sobinina last longer than one season. She did one season with Volodin, one season with Bakhmat and one season with Mironov. Maybe she is not meant to last longer. At least, I can’t imagine why someone like Khodykin would want to keep her longer.

3T3T

I’m disappointed to see that Ilya Mironov is without a partner again. I really thought he had a lot of potential but he changes partner a lot. Maybe he’ll appear with another partner this season.

I always loved his ’crack of doom‘ SP with Diana M

I wouldn’t have thought of Sobinina as a potential partner for Khodykin.

hanca

Values her privacy
I’m disappointed to see that Ilya Mironov is without a partner again. I really thought he had a lot of potential but he changes partner a lot. Maybe he’ll appear with another partner this season.

I always loved his ’crack of doom‘ SP with Diana M

I wouldn’t have thought of Sobinina as a potential partner for Khodykin.
I was disappointed that Mironov split up with Geinish. They had a pretty strong season and then split up. I am not disappointed that he split up with Sobinina because that partnership was not going anywhere. Their results were pretty underwhelming and I don’t think being together longer would help.

Willin

Since a lot of skaters train in/near Moscow, do we know anything about what's happening to them right now? Are they evacuating or still training as if things were normal?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I saw an article that the mayor of Moscow had given everyone the day off on Monday except for government workers. And I read elsewhere that they've asked people to stay indoors.

Vagabond

I saw an article that the mayor of Moscow had given everyone the day off on Monday except for government workers. And I read elsewhere that they've asked people to stay indoors.
So, that means training at the rink as usual? :unsure:

Spun Silver

What was the incident involving judges at Jr Nationals and Plushenko that is referenced in this article?

I am a bit fuzzy on the details but he said the judges didn't judge fairly. His skater lost. There was a brouhaha and then he and his wife both vowed to shut up to the media for a long time.

Dobre

Yep. Kind of undermines the claim that Morozov split with Naryzhnyy because he didn't want to train in New Jersey.

Cute how Morozov's move to Zhuk landed his daughter two partners & now she's going to Krylova. (What were the odds that his move there would blow things up instead of being a silver bullet? 95% at least?) Though I am still curious if this new team is planning to compete for Russia. They've both been out long enough to leave now. If they go to Nationals, it's back to square one. They have some time to see how the partnership works out before deciding, I suppose? Russian Cup participation wouldn't run afoul of Russia's new release criteria, would it? (Unless, of course, the Russian Fed changes said criteria again, which it could).

Thank you for the partnership confirmation and the coaching news, @TAHbKA.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I am just wondering: Why Krylova? She has her full focus on Kaganovskaya/Angelopol now whom I find much more interesting than Morozov's daughter with any partner. Why spoil that atmosphere with another potential top pair? It almost never works out.

Dobre

I am just wondering: Why Krylova? She has her full focus on Kaganovskaya/Angelopol now whom I find much more interesting than Morozov's daughter with any partner. Why spoil that atmosphere with another potential top pair? It almost never works out.
Because Igor may not have a VISA to train elsewhere and it's better than working with Zhulin? Or training with your dad? I mean there are plenty of possible reasons, but if you are going to train in Russia (which seems like a significantly bad idea to me right now), worrying about another team--particularly a young senior team that hasn't even been to a Junior Worlds--is probably not one's major priority? Also, dance coaches do not have their full focus on any one team. That does not a living make, probably not even in Russia. And finally, we don't even know if these teams will be competing for the same country + there's no depth in Russian ice dance right now. It might be easier to make the podium in Russia than in the Czech Republic? (Though I think likely not . . . yet).

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Because Igor may not have a VISA to train elsewhere and it's better than working with Zhulin? Or training with your dad? I mean there are plenty of possible reasons, but if you are going to train in Russia (which seems like a significantly bad idea to me right now), worrying about another team--particularly a young senior team that hasn't even been to a Junior Worlds--is probably not one's major priority? Also, dance coaches do not have their full focus on any one team. That does not a living make, probably not even in Russia. And finally, we don't even know if these teams will be competing for the same country + there's no depth in Russian ice dance right now. It might be easier to make the podium in Russia than in the Czech Republic? (Though I think likely not . . . yet).
IMHO it is very clear which pair is more promising. And it's Kaganovskaya/Angelopol.

Maybe Morozov/Eremenko will switch countries, who knows?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
IMHO it is very clear which pair is more promising. And it's Kaganovskaya/Angelopol.

Well, we haven't even seen Morozov/Eremenko skate yet, so maybe we should withhold judgment? Morozov has tons of potential if she can find the right partner.

Marta24

Krylova used to coach Weaver/Poje and Pechalat/Bourzat at the same time and they were both fighting back then for World Bronze. Additionally, she also had Hubbell/Donohue in her group. So, it's not a completely new situation for her. Zhulin's group looks to be already rather full and Zhuk/Svinin doesn't seem to be an option anymore for the top Russian teams. There aren't really anymore options if they want to stay in Russia for training.

hanca

Values her privacy

Did you see them recently? I read somewhere that Kaganovskaya is getting a bit too tall for him. We may be surprised when they come back after summer holiday, they may be looking very different than we are hoping for. Skoptsova/Aleshin come to my mind as an example how a promising dance couple may suddenly look very differently when the female skater matures, grows, fills up into a female shape rather than a girl’s shape… they were no bad even afterwards, but just never as good as before.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Did you see them recently? I read somewhere that Kaganovskaya is getting a bit too tall for him. We may be surprised when they come back after summer holiday, they may be looking very different than we are hoping for. Skoptsova/Aleshin come to my mind as an example how a promising dance couple may suddenly look very differently when the female skater matures, grows, fills up into a female shape rather than a girl’s shape… they were no bad even afterwards, but just never as good as before.
Please don't annoy me with facts and let me live in my fairytale bubble in which K/A are absolutely perfect and will win everything once they're allowed back on the international stage.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Krylova used to coach Weaver/Poje and Pechalat/Bourzat at the same time and they were both fighting back then for World Bronze. Additionally, she also had Hubbell/Donohue in her group. So, it's not a completely new situation for her. Zhulin's group looks to be already rather full and Zhuk/Svinin doesn't seem to be an option anymore for the top Russian teams. There aren't really anymore options if they want to stay in Russia for training.
I am just wondering why Anabelle isn't staying with Voldemorozov, considering he is her father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information