Something "kids" today wouldnt know about....

once_upon

Better off than 2020
How about driving a standard vehicle instead of automatic? I learned to drive on one but have not driven or owned one for years.
I think there are a lot of teen drivers who want a stick. Sort of like a right of passage or something

Cachoo

How about driving a standard vehicle instead of automatic? I learned to drive on one but have not driven or owned one for years.
Or parallel parking....not that I was good at it but my cars of the past sure wouldn't do it for me. One day no one will know how to parallel park.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Or parallel parking....not that I was good at it but my cars of the past sure wouldn't do it for me. One day no one will know how to parallel park.
Pretty sure it’s still a requirement to get a license in most if not all states. So they’d at least have to practice enough to pass, and if you’re in any kind of big city it’s a must anyways.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
How about driving a standard vehicle instead of automatic?

Maybe in the US. The vast majority of cars in Europe (more than 80%) are still manual.

The only things I can think of is crossing into another country’s border without a passport?

True for US and Canada; you used to be able to cross into the other with a photo ID plus birth certificate.

But the opposite for much of Europe, where the Schengen Area expanded significantly and routine passport checks between EU countries have been largely abolished.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Playing outside until dark in the summer without any parental supervision - parents didn't even know where you were. Never locking your doors until bedtime & then sleeping with just screens on the windows.
Still happens here. I would think it still happens a lot of places.
I think there are a lot of teen drivers who want a stick. Sort of like a right of passage or something
Maybe they want them, but sticks are in such short supply that few of them actually drive them, at least IME. This subject comes up in class every now and then and I've had maybe two students over the years who have driven a stick even once.

I taught both of my kids how to drive one, but they were both happy to stop.

millyskate

Sitting in the boot of the car when all the seats were taken (as a child). I was such a treat :lol: we'd fight over it. More than 3 people cramming into the back seat of a car. Not wearing seatbelts in the back. Only having one side mirror on the car. ... Not having car seats or having a car seat that was black leather and burning in the summer.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Playing outside until dark in the summer without any parental supervision - parents didn't even know where you were. Never locking your doors until bedtime & then sleeping with just screens on the windows.
Still happens here.

Lizziebeth

I have had several cars back in the day that had standard transmission. Rent a car in Europe and you need to relearn that skill - fast :lol:

I lived in a place with a one way street and I had to parallel park on the left side since there was no parking on the right side of the street.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I have had several cars back in the day that had standard transmission. Rent a car in Europe and you need to relearn that skill - fast :lol:

I lived in a place with a one way street and I had to parallel park on the left side since there was no parking on the right side of the street.
I've been known to park 4 or 5 blocks from my destination to avoid parallel parking.

KatieC

I just became a senior last month and have driven a standard since I was 20. I get much better control, especially in winter.

I asked a friend recently why bakers use a sieve for flour instead of a sifter. Mine has a handle you turn and works so much better. I forgot mine is probably from the early 50's, it was my mums'. I guess they don't make them like that anymore.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Not having car seats or having a car seat that was black leather and burning in the summer.
It's actually hard to find a car in the US that doesn't have a black interior. It's one of my pet peeves.
I asked a friend recently why bakers use a sieve for flour instead of a sifter. Mine has a handle you turn and works so much better. I forgot mine is probably from the early 50's, it was my mums'. I guess they don't make them like that anymore.
Sure do. Sieves hold more flour and are faster, which is why I think professionals prefer them.

Vagabond

I always thought that was unique to the US/North America. I don't remember it from elsewhere and it wasn't possible in Berlin.
You could do it for domestic flights, though things did change for domestic flights in most European countries before they did in North America.

Berlin was a special case. Before 1990, Lufthansa didn't have flights between West Berlin and the rest of West Germany. Only American, British, and French carriers flew that route.

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Oh I remember that as a Cdn kid in my city too! I just remember it being delivered not what it was in though. I was really young.

We had "milk box" on our front porch. This was a small wooden door next to the front door, and it opened into a wooden box. There was another similar door on the inside of our foyer. My mother would put the empty milk bottles in the box and the milkman would replace the empties with full quart bottles.

My daughter's house has a "milk box" next to her back door. She left a key for me in it shortly after moving in. She didn't know what this weird thing was until I explained.

ballettmaus

You could do it for domestic flights, though things did change for domestic flights in mist European countries before they did in North America.

Berlin was a special case. Before 1989, Lufthansa didn't have flights between West Berlin and the rest of West Germany. Only American, British, and French carriers flew that route.
I guess, I'm one of those kids who don't really remember it then (at least, where Europe is concerned). :lol:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Going to the gate to see someone off on a flight or to greet him.
Can still do this for domestic flights in Australia.

The stack of floppy disks I used to keep next to my huge bulky desktop computer when I started having to type assignments up! I used to write them on my computer then save to floppy and take it to my parents' computer to print on their dot-matrix printer. And all the school book lists had a requirement for like, 6 of them or something.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Sitting in the boot of the car when all the seats were taken (as a child). I was such a treat :lol: we'd fight over it. More than 3 people cramming into the back seat of a car. Not wearing seatbelts in the back. Only having one side mirror on the car. ... Not having car seats or having a car seat that was black leather and burning in the summer.
LOL - you just reminded me of riding in the bed of our pick-up truck when I was a kid! My parents threw an old mattress in there to make it more comfortable. Then, they bought a Mazda GLC hatchback when I was 10 and my two brothers and I had to squish into the backseat and wear seatbelts!

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Cars that were slow to start in cold weather

Ahh yes, when we'd push down on the gas pedal to give the car a little gas before we'd start it, but not too hard or we'd flood the engine!

How about joining fan clubs and needing to wait either monthly or quarterly to find out what the band/artist/etc was up to lately via the fan club's newsletter?

And I know that in some places, these still exist but not many - drive-in theaters.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I took my kids to a touch a truck event and there was an old fire truck there. My kids were fascinated by the window crank. They had no idea what it was. They’ve also asked about rotary phones in older kids books.
Oh, I rented a Uhaul yesterday and I couldn't figure out how to get the window down.. Until I finally noticed the crank. Every time I had to crank it up or down, I got very annoyed.
White tennis balls
Tennis balls used to be white? I learn to paly tennis in the 60s and the balls were the same color they are now.

True story - my husband worked on the software development for ATM.
Also true story - I worked with the woman who programmed phones to accept area codes that didn't have a 0 or 1 for the 2nd number. Remember when all area codes were like that? Better yet, remember when they were two letters and a number?

When I was growing up, the man next-door was a milk man. But he also delivered bread. And there was no milk box.

Cachoo

Ahh yes, when we'd push down on the gas pedal to give the car a little gas before we'd start it, but not too hard or we'd flood the engine!

How about joining fan clubs and needing to wait either monthly or quarterly to find out what the band/artist/etc was up to lately via the fan club's newsletter?

And I know that in some places, these still exist but not many - drive-in theaters.
Get nine cassettes for nine cents!! (when you agree to buy just nine more cassettes at exorbitant prices plus shipping and you must respond monthly or else the monthly selection will be sent to you automatically.) No thanks.

Vagabond

Tennis balls used to be white? I learn to paly tennis in the 60s and the balls were the same color they are now.
Yes.

There was a tennis club across the street from the soda fountain. I used to see stray white balls on the sidewalk.

BTW, I am pretty sure that you are older than I am. ;)

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
From what they say, I must have played with white ones but I absolutely don't remember it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information