Sydney mall stabbings

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Stabbings in a mall near Sydney, Australia (Bondi Junction). Six killed, including perpetrator; eight wounded:

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I have visited Westfield Bondi Junction many times whenever I have gone on vacation to Sydney. My thoughts and prayers are with their staff and customers. Hats off to the NSW Police for acting as quickly and bravely as they did.

raruki

That coward only targeted women and babies and avoided any confrontations with men with tools or weapons fending off him. One of the victims who used her body to protect her baby from stabbing has passed away. That was so tragically sad and my thoughts and prayers are with any victims and families in this incident.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

The film of the blonde police officer who shot the perpetrator is incredible to watch. She’s a true modern hero. Also amazing is the film of a male customer who used a long lamp post to keep the knife-wielding perpetrator from walking up an escalator.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Watching the news now. More people who were injured have presented to hospital overnight our time.

It's quite some time since anything like this has happened here, so everyone is very shocked.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The police do not yet have a motive. Based on the ratio of dead, I worry it's an incel terrorist.

The Australian media have not covered themselves in glory during this. Ch7 named the wrong person as the attacker, very loudly and publicly. Ch9 was showing the faces and movements of the tactical police live on their coverage. 7, 9 and 10 were all grabbing clearly shocked and traumatised people and trying to make them relive their trauma. Showing bodies with uncensored faces.

Only the ABC showed proper journalistic restraint.

*Jen*

That coward only targeted women and babies and avoided any confrontations with men with tools or weapons fending off him. One of the victims who used her body to protect her baby from stabbing has passed away. That was so tragically sad and my thoughts and prayers are with any victims and families in this incident.
Police are still trying to work out the motive, if any, and if the attacker was targeting women. They confirmed he was mentally ill, which is consistent with some of the witness accounts of him being “not there”. I don’t think he had the cognitive awareness to be a coward - plus he did attack men (one dead, one injured - reported to be the baby’s dad).

Another consideration is that men run faster than women. A lot of the footage here shows men running away - and running past women and children.

It’s an awful thing. We aren’t used to violence in this country. On a usual Saturday I’d be in a shopping centre just like that one, and actually not far away from that one. This is the routine for so many people! I can’t work out if his lack of ideology is comforting or not.

*Jen*

The police do not yet have a motive. Based on the ratio of dead, I worry it's an incel terrorist.

Police literally said an hour ago that there is no ideology and that he has serious mental health issues. Interesting that you criticise the lack of integrity among journalists and then engage in such provocative, useless speculation…

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Oh no! I was just watching photos of Sydney Opera House. Such a tragedy! It will be interesting to see how the Australian govt reacts to this.

Deepest sympathies to those who lost their lives and to their families and friends.

Sylvia

TBD
Live updates via The Sydney Morning Herald:

The family of 38-year-old Ashlee Good, who died in hospital after she and her nine-month-old baby were stabbed in the Bondi Junction shopping centre attack, have released a statement detailing their grief.

“Today we are reeling from the terrible loss of Ashlee, a beautiful mother, daughter, sister, partner, friend, all round outstanding human and so much more,” it reads.

“We appreciate the well-wishes and thoughts of members of the Australian public who have expressed an outpouring of love for Ashlee and our baby girl.”

They said they were “struggling to come to terms with what has occurred”.

The family said the baby had undergone “hours of surgery yesterday” and is currently doing well.

“We are so grateful for the expert care and attention of the medical team at Sydney Children’s Hospital,” the statement said.

“We would also like to thank the New South Wales Police for their kindness and diligence in this tragedy and emergency services for getting our baby the care she needed as quickly as possible.

“To the two men who held and cared for our baby when Ashlee could not - words cannot express our gratitude.”

The family indicated they had been shocked by the use of photographs of Good, her partner and their baby without consent, and it had caused “extreme distress”. The Herald did not publish anything on Good last night, and have not run pictures of the baby or husband.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Live updates via The Sydney Morning Herald:

The family of 38-year-old Ashlee Good, who died in hospital after she and her nine-month-old baby were stabbed in the Bondi Junction shopping centre attack, have released a statement detailing their grief.

“Today we are reeling from the terrible loss of Ashlee, a beautiful mother, daughter, sister, partner, friend, all round outstanding human and so much more,” it reads.

“We appreciate the well-wishes and thoughts of members of the Australian public who have expressed an outpouring of love for Ashlee and our baby girl.”

They said they were “struggling to come to terms with what has occurred”.

The family said the baby had undergone “hours of surgery yesterday” and is currently doing well.

“We are so grateful for the expert care and attention of the medical team at Sydney Children’s Hospital,” the statement said.

“We would also like to thank the New South Wales Police for their kindness and diligence in this tragedy and emergency services for getting our baby the care she needed as quickly as possible.

“To the two men who held and cared for our baby when Ashlee could not - words cannot express our gratitude.”

The family indicated they had been shocked by the use of photographs of Good, her partner and their baby without consent, and it had caused “extreme distress”. The Herald did not publish anything on Good last night, and have not run pictures of the baby or husband.
Unimaginable grief for this family. May they get the strength to deal with it.

*Jen*

If anyone's having issues with the link @Sylvia posted (as that publication is normally paywalled) ABC Australia's live feed has no such issues.

The latest update is that while the attacker was "known to" QLD police, that was due to his mental health issues (which aren't a crime). He was diagnosed with something undisclosed aged 17 and his mental health was "declining" the last few years. He had no arrest record, no criminal record, no history of violence (against women or otherwise), no domestic or other violence orders.

Horribly, his own parents recognised him on the footage and contacted police to help ID him. They've also sent messages through police to both the families of the victims, as well as a message of support to the police officer who shot him. I think what struck me when I checked out his social media was just how normal he looked. Just your average guy next door...who had a psychotic break and committed a senseless, horrific crime :(

I haven't been able to think of much else today.

Frau Muller

So it appears that the Sydney mall stabber was angry about not getting a girlfriend???!!!

In the meantime there’s been a stabbing at a Sydney church:

Sylvia

TBD
Crazy!
Ben Cohen and his father Mark speak with ABC Investigations about their ordeal.
The family say 7 News had contacted them to apologise, explaining that a junior social media editor had made the error.
Benjamin's father Mark Cohen characterises 7 News' response to the family as subpar, telling the ABC "they haven't measured up on any front".
He says the 7 News report gave others the confidence to regurgitate the falsehoods online, evident by how regularly a screenshot from their website was shared to name his son.
"The blast radius is absolutely immense from what they did," he says.

*Jen*

So it appears that the Sydney mall stabber was angry about not getting a girlfriend???!!!

In the meantime there’s been a stabbing at a Sydney church:

I’m extremely sceptical. I saw that interview with the parents and that is NOT what they said. They said he was a tortured soul and he was frustrated and the journalists asked leading questions to elicit the girlfriend information. They didn’t suggest it as a motive.

His father also said he was clearly having an episode of psychosis and that they couldn’t understand what caused him to do this.

It may well be the case that he was targeting women because he couldn’t get a girlfriend - but equally, several women he dated have gone to the media about their relationships and said he was always lovely, a bit weird but not threatening. Given the level of disinformation published by the media - including renowned tv channels identifying a completely unrelated innocent guy as the killer - I would take everything with a grain of salt unless it comes from the police or the coronial investigation.

As for the church stabbing - no one was actually badly hurt (I’m not clear on the difference between a stab wound and lacerations but they all had lacerations?) but it is being treated as a religiously motivated terror attack. Likely inspired by Bondi :(

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Another stabbing in Sydney at a church now. :-(
The Bishop was stabbed many times. Anti-Christian mob outside the church rioted. Australian police attacked. Police head now calls this a terrorist attack. US Embassy now issues a Travel warning for US citizens in Australia (to be careful).

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am listening to a podcast which discusses how the rumours about the wrong person being accused. The host interviews Marianna Spring, BBC Disinformation and social media correspondent who actually interviewed the guy who started it.

And this article written by Marianna also covers it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information