The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

antmanb

Youre welcome! It's great to re-watch and always poses the question (for me at any rate) as to why a back outside death spiral in 1969 is so much deeper, lower, stronger and more beautiful than just about any back outside death spiral almost 54 years later!
That was precisely my thought! When did the ugly back laying BO death spiral with free leg sticking up the air become the norm?

Even the FO spiral which is the most difficult one looks beautifully placed on its side with a low free leg position.

More pairs should try the side laying BO death spiral since so many get dinged for not enough rotations in the low position to get a level 4 these days.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Resurrecting this thread to mention I recently acquired quite the massive collection of events, and browsing through I found some footage that I don't believe has ever been available before.

During World Juniors this afternoon I did a test run of getting stuff ripped to my computer, clipped, and posted to YouTube- first complete event being the men at 1988 Skate America. Among them are Bowman, Eldredge, Viktor Petrenko's brother Vladimir, Keegan Messing's coach Ralph Burghart, Skate Canada High Performance Director Michael Slipchuk, and one of my all-time favorites, David Liu.

Full playlist is here:
1988 Skate America

ETA: 1990 Skate America full mens competition:
1990 Skate America

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Resurrecting this thread to mention I recently acquired quite the massive collection of events, and browsing through I found some footage that I don't believe has ever been available before.

During World Juniors this afternoon I did a test run of getting stuff ripped to my computer, clipped, and posted to YouTube- first complete event being the men at 1988 Skate America. Among them are Bowman, Eldredge, Viktor Petrenko's brother Vladimir, Keegan Messing's coach Ralph Burghart, Skate Canada High Performance Director Michael Slipchuk, and one of my all-time favorites, David Liu.

Full playlist is here:
1988 Skate America

1990 Skate America
Wow. These are amazing. Thank you so much!

bardtoob

Full playlist is here:
1988 Skate America

1990 Skate America
I am in utter shock. Christopher Bowman, with his Frank Carroll Axel technique, actually pulling off the 3A while still with Frank Carroll.

Christopher Bowman was one of the few skaters that Frank developed from kindergarten to the Olympics. Frank Carroll always worked with skaters at all levels, but skaters came and went after his first crop. Christopher is one of the few skaters that really fully embodied Frank's technique. Frank's later top male skaters had technique that was influenced heavily by previous coaches, so you almost never see a true Frank Carroll style 3A.

The arc and height of Christopher's 3A is much more like Denis' and much less like Evan's ;) . . . :rofl:

:huh: Todd Eledredge skating like he's from Eastern Europe :rofl: . . .

Daniel Doran is an interesting watch if you want to see a skater that coulda, woulda, shoulda if compulsory figures had continued through 1992. At the time he was Christopher Bowman's real competitor while Eldredge had recently been in juniors. I don't think Daniel ever had a 3A.

Last edited:

tony

I converted and uploaded a lot of videos in the last few days. Among them:

Roman Skorniakov's first Worlds appearance

Somehow I forgot this outfit existed..

Zhengxin Guo's short from '97 Worlds. He's the first skater to land two 4T in a program.

Karen Kwan's '96 Nebelhorn free skate, in a very familiar-looking dress

Delobel/Schoenfelder's free dance at the same competition

tony

I'm sure this will be of interest to some posters as it's peak FSU fandom years

Part of the massive collection I received had 17 ladies' qualifying round skates from 1999 Worlds. Among them are Butyrskaya, Kwan, Malinina, Gusmeroli, Liashenko, and Fontana (who probably had the skate of her life that day). Check out the 3S splat from Maria-- worse than the GPF a few weeks earlier.

To my knowledge, they have never been available online before, so why not nearly a quarter of a century later? ;)

They are found here, at the end of the 1999 Worlds playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWGRcPSwJJgEDhQpjdKMhiyg8D8jq7gy-

tony

Thank you @tony for all these uploads. I’m watching 1999 Grand Prix stuff right now and it’s so freakin’ (Liashenko!) nostalgic and generally amazing.

:respec:
Thank you! What a glorious time it was. The prior season ABC only aired Skate America and the seasons before that, the Grand Prix was just coming about and we usually got very brief coverage of the events. Then suddenly 6.5 hours a week, complete with the Lifetime pairs/dance coverage that always tried to seek out maximum drama. Amazing!

tony

Lots of updates. The entire 99/00 Grand Prix regular season as aired on US TV is up, including the ever-dramatic Lifetime pairs & dance coverage that was (literally) decades ahead of its time. Before Instagram stories and "stop to tell a lie" Tweets, there were Lifetime cameras ready for all the drama.

Also uploaded a lot of stuff from 2000 Euros, 4CC, and Worlds tonight, including mens qualifying round skates from Worlds. I had never seen quite a few of these skaters before. Exciting to come across and share this rare coverage!

Playlists link: https://www.youtube.com/@TonyWheeler/playlists?view=1&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

BittyBug

Disgusted
Thanks so much for this crazy way back collection. This short program from Christopher Bowman at the 1998 SKAM is such quintessential Bowman, right down to missing the K&C because he was busy picking up flowers from and kissing all the ladies in the arena. :rofl: He was such a natural talent, in both skating and performance.

tony

Many more updates- going in and adding a lot of the full-segment videos of US Nationals, mostly of the men, but have some other disciplines in later seasons.

1986 Nationals - Junior includes Eldredge, Mitchell, Galindo, David Liu
1989 Nationals
1990 Nationals
1993 Nationals - Where 'chacked' came from, Michael Chack's bronze-medal free skate wasn't televised. Galindo also was great in the free skate

1965 Worlds ABC Coverage - amazing quality, considering!
1968 Worlds ABC Coverage

Champions on Ice Skaters on Maury Povich - it was wild how fast figure skating shot up to the 2nd-most popular sport in the US. Here's Bobek, Bonaly, Galindo, Meno & Sand, and Petrenko on Maury before he got all 'you are not the father!'

love skating

Clueless American
I still say "chacked" all the time and not just for skating - for other sports, for anything really that doesn't make a broadcast. I forget when I'm with other folks they don't know the word, but luckily the word really sounds like what it means so I think they'd get the point! lol

bardtoob

Thanks so much for this crazy way back collection. This short program from Christopher Bowman at the 1998 SKAM is such quintessential Bowman, right down to missing the K&C because he was busy picking up flowers from and kissing all the ladies in the arena. :rofl: He was such a natural talent, in both skating and performance.

To be fair, there wasn't really a K&C at this event, just a place to stand by the boards where you could be accosted by an interviewer.

I got overly concentrated on this and learned that, apparently, back when there were no rink boards or electronic score boards, one just stood on the ice while the judges came out on the ice to hold up their marks like they did during figures.

Various accommodations came into fashion after the electronic score boards and venues were shared with hockey, but those were often more a function of television productions, which is why Uncle Dick or other ABC commentators were getting the rink side interviews.

Standing

Sitting

Standing

Standing by some flowers

The term "Kiss and Cry" was not even coined until 1983 when Jane Erkko, a Finnish figure skating official, came up with it for 1983 Worlds.

Standing Kiss and Cry

Sitting

Optional Benches

However, having a K&C was not totally standard until the 1990s.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

I guess chacked is on it's way out now that we watch every skater on a stream. The end of an era.
Some of the guys like Scott Davis had beautiful jump technique - ramrod straight, tight, fast rotations. What is that awful disco music at the beginning of Damon Allens free skate? So many skaers during that time used it.

bardtoob

To be fair, there wasn't really a K&C at this event, just a place to stand by the boards where you could be accosted by an interviewer.

I got overly concentrated on this and learned that, apparently, back when there were no rink boards or electronic score boards, one just stood on the ice while the judges came out on the ice to hold up their marks like they did during figures.

Various accommodations came into fashion after the electronic score boards and venues were shared with hockey, but those were often more a function of television productions, which is why Uncle Dick or other ABC commentators were getting the rink side interviews.

Standing

Sitting

Standing

Standing by some flowers

The term "Kiss and Cry" was not even coined until 1983 when Jane Erkko, a Finnish figure skating official, came up with it for 1983 Worlds.

Standing Kiss and Cry

Sitting

Optional Benches

However, having a K&C was not totally standard until the 1990s.

Judges giving freeskating marks on outdoor ice in 1948

tony

Galindo's 1996 Nationals LP shot from one camera (no commentary). This is probably my favorite video I've posted so far. The crowd gets so excited and towards the end some of them don't know whether to stand or sit or stand again :lol: and seeing the reaction in the kiss and cry from far away and the audience then seeing the result-- chills!

bardtoob

Galindo's 1996 Nationals LP shot from one camera (no commentary). This is probably my favorite video I've posted so far. The crowd gets so excited and towards the end some of them don't know whether to stand or sit or stand again :lol: and seeing the reaction in the kiss and cry from far away and the audience then seeing the result-- chills!

Really because I could hear Uncle Dick, Brian Boitano, and Terry Gannon the whole time I was watching that :lol:

"that's the best move in this competition"
"But look it didn't even phase him"
. . .
"that is really marvelous"
. . .
:lol:

A.H.Black

It is very effective without the commentary. I remember sitting at the practices that year - Rudy came out, warmed up, did his run-through, and left. He was right at the peak of his skating. Isn't this one of the "official" videos that USFSA used to do and offer to the skaters? I have a few of those from the past. Do they do them anymore.

Thanks for posting.

tony

It is very effective without the commentary. I remember sitting at the practices that year - Rudy came out, warmed up, did his run-through, and left. He was right at the peak of his skating. Isn't this one of the "official" videos that USFSA used to do and offer to the skaters? I have a few of those from the past. Do they do them anymore.

Thanks for posting.
Yes, I have a lot of the official videos of the mens competitions from 1986-2002 plus some other disciplines. I've already uploaded a lot (up to 1999) on the YouTube page. I don't believe they have on-site secondary videographers like Ledin anymore, because everything is telecast anyways. Not sure, though.

Seerek

Some of the guys like Scott Davis had beautiful jump technique - ramrod straight, tight, fast rotations. What is that awful disco music at the beginning of Damon Allens free skate? So many skaers during that time used it.

Are you referring to 1993 Nationals and the use of Santa Esmeralda's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" from 1977?

We could literally have an entire thread on that song and "Another Cha Cha" being used on and off for the better part of 3 decades (I think Polina Edmunds was the last top flight skater to use it in the 2014 season).

A.H.Black

I like that it was still the era when skaters didn't overreact after the program. No jumping up and down, pumping fists, falling down in exhaustion, etc. They took their bows and got off the ice. Not that I don't like to see some celebration, but it get overdone these days.

Sylvia

TBD
July 17, 2022:
And for those of you who always fancied taking a lesson from John Curry - now you can! In 1989 he made a five-part series called Curry on Ice where he coached a group of mixed ability skaters through the basics of skating skills, jumping and spinning. Among the skaters was a very young Neil Wilson, the two-time British champion who now coaches in Canada. Here's the playlist link for all five episodes:

Curry on Ice
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpeIqFDI7KQj81sdLJI2CKWbndPccq2Rh
A VERY belated thank you @floskate - I definitely want to watch these videos! :)

Tweeted by @SkateGuard today: https://twitter.com/SkateGuardBlog/status/1647245496430342145
"29 years ago on this day, Olympic Gold Medallist & World Champion John Curry passed away. Take a moment today to reflect on the achievements of a visionary artist who contributed so much to figure skating."

Taso

Are you referring to 1993 Nationals and the use of Santa Esmeralda's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" from 1977?

We could literally have an entire thread on that song and "Another Cha Cha" being used on and off for the better part of 3 decades (I think Polina Edmunds was the last top flight skater to use it in the 2014 season).
Could we please!!!

Seerek

Could we please!!!

Ha! I don't think we need a full thread, but here's a sample

Santa Esmeralda - a Skating History

Another Cha-Cha

Yamaguchi/Galindo - 1986

Caryn Kadavy - 1987

Holly Cook - 1990

Silvia Fontana - 2002

Diana Poth - 2005

Denkova/Staviski - 2006