The Fifth ISU Grand Prix and the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final of the 2023/24 Allotted to Espoo and Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
I tried to be friends with figure skating as of today, but they are apparently not taking new friends.
I received a reply back (I used the email address listed at the FOFS Membership Donation Form link): https://www.usfigureskating.org/support/donate/friends-figure-skating):
"Our marketing team is working on the program for the new season. I've asked them to let us include in the pre-sale email those who have reached out about the program and I've added your name to the list."

FOFS usually sends out membership renewal emails on July 1 (when USFS club memberships are due). ETA: It sounds like there will be a Skate America pre-sale for all USFS members before tickets go on sale to the general public which is standard procedure.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Skate Amerca's venue is listed as TBA in ISU Communication No. 2565 and I was wondering about it.

Minor update since YukiN's post from a few days ago:

ISU event page for 2023 Skate America finally has been updated to specify location of "Allen, Texas/USA," after previously saying just, "TBA/USA."​

ETA:​
Per posts/reposts from Dallas FSC on Instastory, tryouts for sweepers for Skate America apparently were happening yesterday (Sun Jun 11). Maybe today (Mon Jun 12) too?​

ETA (on Jun 13):​

And Allen is specified in today's Grand Prix calendar graphic on ISU social media:​

Last edited:

RubySkate

I live in Texas and was told by a local Allen business-person today that US Figure Skating is threatening to move Skate America to a different city if they don't get the hotel they want, next to the arena. Is there any truth to this? I don't see how it could be true when they have already announced it and have sold tickets in the FOFS presale. Not to mention that the host hotel should have been lined up months ago.

Debbie S

I live in Texas and was told by a local Allen business-person today that US Figure Skating is threatening to move Skate America to a different city if they don't get the hotel they want, next to the arena. Is there any truth to this? I don't see how it could be true when they have already announced it and have sold tickets in the FOFS presale. Not to mention that the host hotel should have been lined up months ago.
If you're talking about the Courtyard, my understanding is it's already lined up as the host hotel. Is there another hotel next to the arena?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
If you're talking about the Courtyard, my understanding is it's already lined up as the host hotel. Is there another hotel next to the arena?
No that's the only one.

I would be surprised if it wasn't already locked in tbh but then stranger things have happened. I can't see anyone wanting to move it at this point though.

RubySkate

No that's the only one.

I would be surprised if it wasn't already locked in tbh but then stranger things have happened. I can't see anyone wanting to move it at this point though.
Yes, Courtyard. True, stranger things have happened! But I really hope it won't be moved.

RubySkate

I have now received some additional information--although I have no idea what it really means or if it's accurate. A very bizarre e-mail, from the manager of the Courtyard to someone with a reservation there, saying that "The integrity of the event is at risk and the event will not happen in Allen, TX if we are unable to offer the entire hotel to US Figure Skating, and the event planners are already looking at other options across the US if we are unable to offer them the entire hotel as contracted." And that "at this time due to the nature of the event we do know the event will be moved to another city if we are not able to offer the whole hotel." . . . And yet, at the exact same time, I heard from a friend at the Allen rink that NBC was already there doing blocking and staging.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I have now received some additional information--although I have no idea what it really means or if it's accurate. A very bizarre e-mail, from the manager of the Courtyard to someone with a reservation there, saying that "The integrity of the event is at risk and the event will not happen in Allen, TX if we are unable to offer the entire hotel to US Figure Skating, and the event planners are already looking at other options across the US if we are unable to offer them the entire hotel as contracted." And that "at this time due to the nature of the event we do know the event will be moved to another city if we are not able to offer the whole hotel." . . . And yet, at the exact same time, I heard from a friend at the Allen rink that NBC was already there doing blocking and staging.
This is really bizarre. Why wouldn't the hotel know if they can offer the hotel??? And this is not the first skating even that has been held there anyway. Or are they trying to get people who have non-skating related reservations that weekend to move??? I haven't been able to skate in a while due to a foot injury, so I'm not at the rink to talk to people but this is really weird.

RubySkate

I don't understand it at all, but in this particular situation, the person with the reservation (who received the email from the hotel) is planning to attend Skate America, and the hotel was trying to get them to move.

ChillSkate

That is really weird. I have a reservation at the Courtyard during SkAm and have heard no such thing. I've also stayed at the host hotels before for SkAm and other major events and was never asked to move my reservation, so it would be very atypical for USFS to demand access to the entire hotel. I would think they would typically contract for however many rooms they need well before announcing the event and selling tickets?!?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Hotels routinely overbook, and I learned the hard way that even if you have a prepaid reservation for a specific kind of room that they make sound they've got a specific room reserved, they only have to arrange for you to have a comparable room somewhere else and provide or pay for transport, if the other hotel is in another location. Usually, they tell you when you try to check in. It sounds like they might be trying to get people to move in advance.

Debbie S

I have a reservation at the Courtyard (as do others I know) and I have not received or heard of such an email.

Obviously, I did not see the email the poster above is referring to, but I find it very odd that a hotel would go into such detail when bumping someone, even if true.

And yes, rooms are contracted at the time the hotel agreement is signed, although sometimes the exact numbers need to he adjusted as the event gets closer. With my club's comp, we initially give a round number, more than we'll likely need, and then the hotel has a deadline for us to give final numbers.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
At 2007 Skate America people got bumped from the host hotel. My friend was one of them and her mom asked for something in return. USFS gave them tickets to the private opening and closing parties with all the athletes. This has given us stories to laugh about until this day lol.

The Courtyard is currently showing as sold out so USFS must have gobbled up all the rooms they could at this point.

RubySkate

At 2007 Skate America people got bumped from the host hotel. My friend was one of them and her mom asked for something in return. USFS gave them tickets to the private opening and closing parties with all the athletes. This has given us stories to laugh about until this day lol.

The Courtyard is currently showing as sold out so USFS must have gobbled up all the rooms they could at this point.
I think I actually remember posts about that haha! Awesome parties with Ben Agosto and Ryan Bradley! Maybe it would be worth it to get bumped

RubySkate

That is really weird. I have a reservation at the Courtyard during SkAm and have heard no such thing. I've also stayed at the host hotels before for SkAm and other major events and was never asked to move my reservation, so it would be very atypical for USFS to demand access to the entire hotel. I would think they would typically contract for however many rooms they need well before announcing the event and selling tickets?!?
I have a reservation at the Courtyard (as do others I know) and I have not received or heard of such an email.

Obviously, I did not see the email the poster above is referring to, but I find it very odd that a hotel would go into such detail when bumping someone, even if true.

And yes, rooms are contracted at the time the hotel agreement is signed, although sometimes the exact numbers need to he adjusted as the event gets closer. With my club's comp, we initially give a round number, more than we'll likely need, and then the hotel has a deadline for us to give final numbers.
You're both exactly right, and we tried to explain these things to the hotel manager. She replied with additional e-mails insisting that USFS needs each and every room or the event will be moved to another city. I think she must be inexperienced, and also lying or exaggerating. She also claimed that she had reached out to everyone who has a reservation, which we now know is not true, since you have a reservation and were not contacted. . . . I'm starting to think this is an inexperienced hotel manager, rather than a USFS crisis.

Debbie S

If a hotel needed to bump people, they wouldn't ask or plead, they would just bump and send a 'sorry for the inconvenience' email with a new res at a different hotel. That's certainly what happened in 2007, as many people here can attest.

CassAgain

Are Skate America tickets for sale to the general public yet? I just tried to purchase and keep getting an access denied screen.

RubySkate

If a hotel needed to bump people, they wouldn't ask or plead, they would just bump and send a 'sorry for the inconvenience' email with a new res at a different hotel. That's certainly what happened in 2007, as many people here can attest.
Yes, I agree. That has happened to me before. That's why I think this is an inexperienced manager. I'm honestly just trying to get some understanding of why my friend and I were harassed by the hotel manager yesterday, and why the hotel manager went into so much bizarre detail claiming Skate America would be moved to another city. Fortunately, it sounds like it's not a real issue with Skate America as an event. The hotel manager either misunderstands or was lying to us. I really appreciate the input from all of you on this board, because it helps me understand that the hotel manager was way out of line.

Debbie S

my friend and I were harassed by the hotel manager yesterday
Your story sure does seem to keep evolving. In your first post, it was info told to you by "an Allen businessperson". Then it was "someone with a reservation" who sent you this alleged email. Now it's "me and my friend" being "harassed" directly. Or are all of these identities you? You must be busy. :shuffle:

RubySkate

Your story sure does seem to keep evolving. In your first post, it was info told to you by "an Allen businessperson". Then it was "someone with a reservation" who sent you this alleged email. Now it's "me and my friend" being "harassed" directly. Or are all of these identities you? You must be busy. :shuffle:
What's your problem? I truly appreciate your help. Thank you. And yes, my friend has a reservation for us. She received the e-mail directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information