"The Runthrough" podcast with Adam & Ashley

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Got through the men’s recap and part of the women’s while getting ready this morning. Was pretty shocked to hear Adam say Ilia still skates juniorish in the Worlds recap. Huh? Sarah’s Yuma love knows no bounds. She’s pissed he wasn’t scored a lot closer to Ilia due to skating skills. Ashley mocking Ilia not singing the National Anthem on the podium…is that a requirement to sing on the podium? Not much respect given to Ilia from this crew. Giggled when Sarah said the Montreal stadium was a wonderful venue. She clearly didn’t sit in the ticket holder seats. It was like Frontier Airlines squashed seating on top of each other. The men in my group were getting leg and back problems from the lack of legroom. Also such small, narrow concourses it was hard to move around on the breaks and all bathrooms upstairs or downstairs from the concourse. Yeesh! We all really liked Montreal the city very much, but not the Bell Center venue unfortunately. I did appreciate the replays they did of their predictions, which were way off the mark and pretty funny like Amber and “the little Belgium girl” being on the podium. Ashley offers to help Amber learn not to pop in competition. Ashley thinks pops are unforgivable. I think Amber should take her up on it!

I enjoyed their conversation about PCS and how they could be more accurately used, but I was very “HUH?” when Sarah praised the Bell Centre. That was one of the worst venues I’ve experienced in over 20 years of skating events. The lack of bathrooms, the tight concourse, making everyone squeeze through one door to exit while having to scan out your ticket (wristbands, people!), the uncomfortable seats, the hand dryers that never worked in the restrooms. I’m so glad the amazing skating made up for it!

Allskate

Got through the men’s recap and part of the women’s while getting ready this morning.
Knowing the National Anthem is not a requirement. But, I think they were mocking him for mumbling words that were not the correct words. It really was noticeable, and I was surprised nobody had prepared him for how to conduct himself during the National Anthem. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's the kind of thing that a lot of people would think was a big deal if he did that at the Olympics. I am sure he and his agents want endorsement deals, and they look at those kinds of things.

Was pretty shocked to hear Adam say Ilia still skates juniorish in the Worlds recap. Huh? Sarah’s Yuma love knows no bounds. She’s pissed he wasn’t scored a lot closer to Ilia due to skating skills.
I think your reaction was much stronger than mine. They very clearly thought that Ilia definitely deserved to win. They don't think Ilia's presentation is bad and have given him credit for improving a lot. But, they don't think Ilia's presentation is in the same class as Yuma's or Shoma's and think that the PCS scores are much closer than they should be. (I happen to agree.) But, they give Ilia credit for being a very exciting skater (and a phenomenal jumper). They (especially Sarah) think that the way the judges give PCS scores isn't fairly representative of what the skaters are doing on the ice. (Again, I tend to agree.) There is comparatively little range in the PCS scores compared to the much broader range in the technical scores.

Ashley also thinks that skaters benefit in the PCS scores from reputation, which is part of her concern about Amber.

Ashley offers to help Amber learn not to pop in competition. Ashley thinks pops are unforgivable. I think Amber should take her up on it!

I don't know how much you listen to the podcast, but all three of them are massive Amber fans. They call themselves Team Glennhead. I think they seriously would do anything to help her. Sarah mentioned that Amber had a great clean runthrough in a practice that she watched in Montreal. Ashley speculated that, like her, Amber has a hard time relying on muscle memory during competition. I have wondered the same thing. But, as they said, Amber is in a great situation personally and in terms of coaching. It's hard to know what else they can do.

Allskate

I enjoyed their conversation about PCS and how they could be more accurately used, but I was very “HUH?” when Sarah praised the Bell Centre. That was one of the worst venues I’ve experienced in over 20 years of skating events. The lack of bathrooms, the tight concourse, making everyone squeeze through one door to exit while having to scan out your ticket (wristbands, people!), the uncomfortable seats, the hand dryers that never worked in the restrooms.
As an NBC producer, I'm pretty sure that Sarah didn't have to deal with any of that. ;)

skatfan

I thought they went a little hard on Ilia calling him juniorish when it’s just he isn’t top 4 on PCS. And if we increase the points for spins and footwork let’s also increase the points for the 4-Axel please.

Despite their biases which fortunately they are open about, this was at least a real recap of the event.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I thought there was a figure skating baby thread, but I can't find it, so I'm posting this here, a Happy Anniversary post from Wagner to her husband with their daughter:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5EpxqoJmLt/

Her expression is priceless, and my first thought was that she was spending a lot of time with Uncle Adam.
It's in The Trash Can called Figure Skating Baby New.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The thing about Ilia not knowing the words to the national anthem is a big joke on twitter, but it's not malicious. Most people joking are genuine fans of his. This is just how you have fun with your faves 🤷‍♀️ , but it's pretty evident that someone(s) on this podcast do a lot of twitter searches lol.

DreamSkates

The thing about Ilia not knowing the words to the national anthem is a big joke on twitter, but it's not malicious. Most people joking are genuine fans of his. This is just how you have fun with your faves 🤷‍♀️ , but it's pretty evident that someone(s) on this podcast do a lot of twitter searches lol.
And let’s hope he learns the words for the next time he wins and a US flag is raised.

mtnskater

Was there a lot of grousing when Nathan did not sing the national anthem on the Olympic podium? I don’t recall it. I still maintain one is not obligated to sing it. Like Wyliefan, I didn’t notice in the moment. All I remember is what a lovely moment it was. Not until the Runthrough gang brought it up…and I thought it was a bit petty.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I must be blind as a bat, because Ilia not knowing the words was news to me. I noticed his lips were moving during the song, but that's all I noticed. I didn't actually read them. :lol:
They did a close-up of his mouth and it is pretty funny. But like I said, people weren't mocking him in a mean way. More like a "this is very relatable because idk if I know the words either" kind of way. It's a terrible anthem in many respects, including the weird wording.

skatfan

They did a close-up of his mouth and it is pretty funny. But like I said, people weren't mocking him in a mean way. More like a "this is very relatable because idk if I know the words either" kind of way. It's a terrible anthem in many respects, including the weird wording.
I also think people of his generation don’t really sing it. I mean his school was virtual for a couple of years. I actually prefer athletes who just take in the moment to listen to it. In Montreal there was a choir!

skatingguy

decently
Was there a lot of grousing when Nathan did not sing the national anthem on the Olympic podium? I don’t recall it. I still maintain one is not obligated to sing it. Like Wyliefan, I didn’t notice in the moment. All I remember is what a lovely moment it was. Not until the Runthrough gang brought it up…and I thought it was a bit petty.
I think the bigger one was Gabi Douglas not putting her hand over heart while on the podium in 2016.

DreamSkates

I also think people of his generation don’t really sing it. I mean his school was virtual for a couple of years. I actually prefer athletes who just take in the moment to listen to it. In Montreal there was a choir!
Loved the choir! Imagine how many songs and languages they had to prepare !

Sylvia

TBD
Mailbag episode (begins with fond memories of Anna Pogorilaya and Sarah refusing to apologize to Kate Middleton ;)):

ETA: Both Adam & Ashley made some good points about Arutunian and how his coaching style worked for them but was not for everybody, especially younger skaters.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Adam named 3 skaters -- Angela Maxwell, Deanna Stellato, Joshua Farris ("I remember in the lead up to the 2018 Olympics [when] he was still really dealing with that concussion... [during one 1 session Adam saw] Josh skated a few laps, did a 3A, 4Lo, 4T, 4S, left...") and then quickly added Rohene Ward as the skaters who retired too soon and I definitely agree with the latter two.

Sarah mentioned Kostornaia - I'm still :( she never got to compete at 2020 Worlds and that I missed seeing her skate in person there (likely would have been my only time).

Allskate

Mailbag episode (begins with fond memories of Anna Pogorilaya and Sarah refusing to apologize to Kate Middleton ;)):

ETA: Both Adam & Ashley made some good points about Arutunian and how his coaching style worked for them but was not for everybody, especially younger skaters.
I really enjoyed this episode. It is always fun listening to Ashley and Adam talk about Raf and his role as mentor versus coach. It really also shows that different skaters need different coaches and may need different coaches at different ages and stages.

Their flutz discussion also was interesting.

And I totally agree with them about skaters touching the boards. I hate it. I want a deduction for it.

Going back to the last episode, I totally agree with Ashley about Loena and her programs/choreography/performances/armography. (The one thing I disagree with is the idea of Loena doing Carmen.) I wish she would work with someone else.

Adam named 3 skaters -- Angela Maxwell, Deanna Stellato, Joshua Farris ("I remember in the lead up to the 2018 Olympics [when] he was still really dealing with that concussion... [during one 1 session Adam saw] Josh skated a few laps, did a 3A, 4Lo, 4T, 4S, left...") and then quickly added Rohene Ward as the skaters who retired too soon and I definitely agree with the latter two.
I absolutely loved Josh Farris. But, I don't think he really falls into the category of burnout, which was what the questions was about. The concussion did him in. :(

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I absolutely loved Josh Farris. But, I don't think he really falls into the category of burnout, which was what the questions was about. The concussion did him in. :(

I haven't heard the episode, but IIRC Josh's coaching situations also had a lot to do with the end of his career. Basically being forced to compete while injured, by at least one of his coaches, is not a good thing.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
This week’s episode was hysterical. I was glad I had an hour drive to listen so it could have my full attention. Ashley about Karen Chen’s “On Golden Pond” program - “The loon sound that would come on - f*ck that’s good” 😂😂😂😂

Sylvia

TBD
Season 2 Episode 2 (April 24) - "It's award season!! We give out our awards for the 2023-24 figure skating season in front of a live audience (Ashley's crying baby)."

In personal news, Ashley today posted an Instagram story captioned "Got into Northwestern and got offered a full time job today."
Adam recently posted photos from real London (on a job there?) on his Insta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information