The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

VGThuy

Congrats to the Shibs for earning The Best of December Honors from Team USA. This was sort of a surprise for me because the last time I checked on this was before the second half of Nationals and the Hamiltons had a lead on the vote percentage (first time I saw vote percentage being shown in real time):

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/J...n-Best-Of-December-Honors-For-Team-USA-Awards

How many Team USA Best of the Month titles have the Shibs won so far?

chapis

Congrats to the Shibs for earning The Best of December Honors from Team USA. This was sort of a surprise for me because the last time I checked on this was before the second half of Nationals and the Hamiltons had a lead on the vote percentage (first time I saw vote percentage being shown in real time):

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/J...n-Best-Of-December-Honors-For-Team-USA-Awards

How many Team USA Best of the Month titles have the Shibs won so far?

Great!. I was so focused on the Nationals that I forgot to vote :duh: but congrats Shibs :cheer2:

Cayuse

It's time to start a new thread. We are so bummed about Nationals, it is us who are "stuck in reverse". Let's be bold and go for the Gold in PyeongChang!

I took the time to compare the Skate America and Nationals free dance segment by segment from my TV recordings. There is very little difference between the two performances and even the choreography. If you concentrate on Maia's face after the swizzle section and the rotational lift (in both programs), she is in attack mode and is almost throwing herself into the steps and choreography as fast and as free as she can. Even after the mistake, Alex and Maia don't let up.

The revised straight-line lift is cleaner and with two distinct held positions in the National version. Yes, the exit is simpler, but the over-the back version might only be missed by the 20 or so of us who felt it was perfect for the "stuck in reverse" lyric. The longer reference to "Fix You" doesn't make me nostalgic for their iconic dance, instead it causes me to remember how happy we were for them to finally have a breakthrough in this competitive discipline and leads to their world famous twizzle sequence. I feel the "Fix You" reference helps the trilogy make sense.

Any top team can make a mistake, even PC had one at French Nationals. The dream for Paradise is still alive!

Spun Silver

Ok, what about Paradise Found? Still leaves a little room for fully realizing it, but definitely the biggest step forward. Did you suggest that last time?

VGThuy

I did, but it was more because I thought it was a fun wordplay on Paradise Lost. I like your reasoning.

Dobre

How about "Quiet Assassins."

They are a bit more unexpected now, but totally capable of getting this job done. Aftershocks' recent post on another thread reminded me of the nickname for Maia from earlier.

Spun Silver

Was that Maia's nickname? I didn't see Aftershock's post. I like the concept of Quiet Assassin but for me that epithet is owned by Karen Chen.

Dobre

Was that Maia's nickname? I didn't see Aftershock's post. I like the concept of Quiet Assassin but for me that epithet is owned by Karen Chen.

I believe Aftershocks was using it for Maia earlier, which was essentially the essence of the post. I don't know when it became associated with Karen. (I hadn't heard it with regard to her until that thread this week). I do remember Aftershocks using it for Maia in 2016.

Spun Silver

I believe Aftershocks was using it for Maia earlier, which was essentially the essence of the post. I don't know when it became associated with Karen. (I hadn't heard it with regard to her until that thread this week). I do remember Aftershocks using it for Maia in 2016.
Karen described herself that way in an interview quoted during 2017 Nats, and it was repeated again this year (both times on TV).

"Every Moment Matters" seems a little generic to me. At this point every athlete is counting the minutes until the Olympics. JMO.

But along the same lines, what about "Uno, Dos, Tres..."?:D

chapis

Karen described herself that way in an interview quoted during 2017 Nats, and it was repeated again this year (both times on TV).

"Every Moment Matters" seems a little generic to me. At this point every athlete is counting the minutes until the Olympics. JMO.

But along the same lines, what about "Uno, Dos, Tres..."?:D

Maybe is a common term because definitely I remember that term was used for Maia before Nats 2017 in this fan thread, that is the reason because I don`t love change threads, it is practically impossible to find the old threads in this forum, it has not seaching box.

I think tomorrow should be the last day to propose names and the day after tomorrow we all vote for the one that we think is better

suki

what does this mean? https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/951290674267279360, what would be the wrong way to say it?
Too many people do not use the correct case after a preposition, which is the objective case. For example, the incorrect way to write Alex's statement would be "voting for Maia and I." Alex, bless his heart, uses the objective case correctly.

Another common error is when someone says "between she and I," which also requires the objective case (i.e., "between her and me"). Sorry for being so pedantic, but I started as an editor, so these common errors drive me crazy. I'm not surprised that Alex would be so precise and correct. He does everything to perfection, especially skating;)

Last edited:

chapis

Too many people do not use the correct case after a preposition, which is the objective case. For example, the incorrect way to write Alex's statement would be "voting for Maia and I." Alex, please his heart, uses the objective case correctly.

Another common error is when someone says "between she and I," which also requires the objective case (i.e., "between her and me"). Sorry for being so pedantic, but I started as an editor, so these common errors drive me crazy. I'm not surprised that Alex would so precise and correct. He does everything to perfection, especially skating;)

Thank you!!

VGThuy

what does this mean? https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/951290674267279360, what would be the wrong way to say it?

--------
omg, I want that juice https://twitter.com/shynotshae/status/951246008448700417, I wonder if I will look very ridiculous if I ask my sister to buy it and keep the tetra pack for me :shuffle:

That second link makes me think that the new thread title maybe should get away from the Paradise theme and go into something broader, like "Family to the Finish" but maybe something less stolen from Minute Maid (and less cheesy).

Mrs. P

I just came up with something. How about: Slaying Ocho Twizzles in Pyeongchang or some other variety like Ocho Twizzle Slayers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information