The Skating Lesson

rhapsody

Watched TSL today because this thread reminded me of it, and starting laughing at Dave trying to say Piper/Paul were inflated because of a conspiracy to bring down IAM, only to have Alissa and the other guy basically saying that Piper/Paul deserved to have high scores because their programs are fabulous.

Do I think some judges think IAM has become too big? Yes. Do I think Dave exaggerates "politicks" to justify his own biases? Also yes.

NHK justified his snark.

Dance is such a farce.

Mell

Gosh, welcome to being a human. You're allowed to change your opinion. I didn't like Lolo and Nik's free dance at the beginning of the last season and by Worlds it was my favorite free dance of the year. While you ignore his videos, feel free to ignore the thread too if you don't want negative energy in your life.

Hope you feel better.

I agree. He's more of the kind of guy who calls a 13 year old Michelle Kwan, "kind of sexy". :smokin:

I guess Dave changed his opinion again since he just called Ilia "Russian tra*h". If any of the skaters would make a bigoted comment, they wouldn't be called "humans" by any of you but would be cancelled. We would have whole threads about how horrible they are and even their apologie wouldn't change that.
Why are people like Dave Lease so special that they don't have to apologize for their harmful comments?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I guess Dave changed his opinion again since he just called Ilia "Russian tra*h". If any of the skaters would make a bigoted comment, they wouldn't be called "humans" by any of you but would be cancelled. We would have whole threads about how horrible they are and even their apologie wouldn't change that.
Why are people like Dave Lease so special that they don't have to apologize for their harmful comments?
Wait, what?? Where and when and why did he do that?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Oh, well that's not so bad. Although it's news to me that "Succession" is Russian. :lol:

I think he meant more the style of movement, and the minimalist approach to choreography, and transitions - as in none.
The costume too - and he isn't wrong. I snarked in the GPF pbp thread that it looked like something Ivan Mokhov would wear and that that wasn't a compliment.

rhapsody

He said his packaging was Russian trash... which it is. The costumes could be mistaken as being from the wardrobe of Urmanov and his skating skills are almost interchangeable with the Eteri girls. He also called Isabeau's packaging Russian trash due to the over the top costumes and programs that are so utterly beneath her.

Lynn226

He said his packaging was Russian trash... which it is. The costumes could be mistaken as being from the wardrobe of Urmanov and his skating skills are almost interchangeable with the Eteri girls. He also called Isabeau's packaging Russian trash due to the over the top costumes and programs that are so utterly beneath her.
The first thing I thought when I saw Malinin this season is: he raided Urmanov's closet, down to the gloves. Don't get me wrong, I loved Urmanov as a skater and I enjoyed meeting him many years ago.

Judy

I prefer watching occasionally when it’s a subject/skater or the stuff going on presently.

livetoskate

Foolhardy Ham Lint

While I am not a fan myself of Disney's World On Ice packaging, in the past I have taken my nieces and nephews to several of their shows and they loved them. So, to Disney's credit, the organisation really knows their brand.

Also, what better way to introduce youngsters to this sport than on their level, with a lot of colourful costumes, sets, lights, music and movement.

I also know a coach who specifically trains and prepares skaters for ice shows rather than the rigors of competition. For the most part, it is their dream to skate in a touring show, and if you have read Beverley Smith's in-depth book skating book, Talking Figure Skating, which has interviews with Karen Preston and Jamie Eggleton, the experience can be a positive one which gives skaters solid building blocks for life.

Last edited:

eusebius

While I am not a fan myself of Disney's World On Ice packaging, in the past I have taken my nieces and nephews to several of their shows and they loved them. So, to Disney's credit, the organisation really knows their brand.

Also, what better way to introduce youngsters to this sport than on their level, with a lot of colourful costumes, sets, lights, music and movement.

I also know a coach who specifically trains and prepares skaters for ice shows rather than the rigors of competition. For the most part, it is their dream to skate in a touring show, and if you have read Beverley Smith's in-depth book skating book, Talking Figure Skating, which has interviews with Karen Preston and Jamie Eggleton, the experience can be a positive one which give skaters solid building blocks for life.
Yes! My daughter at age 4 was totally entranced. In a similar manner, a friend of mine - highly trained in both classical and musical theatre singing - spent several months playing Elsa from Frozen on a Disney cruise. I am sure she made a lot of kids excited about music!

On My Own

Yeesh. Seems like that person is just inviting trouble.
I'm fairly certain I remember a lot of bs from this person in the past - however, his previous account got suspended, and can't find it. Fanyus have beefed a lot with him in the past, and it's been the few times I've agreed with them. He himself is unhinged. I don't trust whatever he's saying about whoever, nor do I care one bit about "professional figure skating".

marshallpond

I've known Jacob and his mother for years, and while he is outspoken, he is a very sweet young man. While he was not under Viktor Pfeiffer, he's part of the Delaware squad of good skater boys (e.g. David Shapiro, Nicolas Hseih who was Team USA before in junior, etc). He really must have taken offense at DL's comment about DOI. He's been with DOI since 2021. And since Jacob had triples, he easily became a lead performer in DOI, and he's mighty proud of DOI.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I've known Jacob and his mother for years, and while he is outspoken, he is a very sweet young man. While he was not under Viktor Pfeiffer, he's part of the Delaware squad of good skater boys (e.g. David Shapiro, Nicolas Hseih who was Team USA before in junior, etc). He really must have taken offense at DL's comment about DOI. He's been with DOI since 2021. And since Jacob had triples, he easily became a lead performer in DOI, and he's mighty proud of DOI.
This is Jacob's Disney on Ice Instagram account

His name is Jacob Fitzpatrick

He comes across VERY differently online, then.
Just checked out his DOI Instagram account.
Jacob looks exactly as I imagined he would.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
DL apparently can't appreciate that Disney makes opportunities for skaters to make a living skating in a way similar to how Disney makes opportunities for live performers to make a living doing live performing.

And even if Disney costumes and wigs are embarrassing - so what? The shows are imaginative and creative (within the boundaries of the Disney "content" they're based on).

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I'll lead this by saying I don't like Dave Lease or the Skating Lesson.

However, to put it mildly, I don't trust Jacob Skate either.

ETA: Also, his tweets DON'T seem deleted. FWIW. Good for you @kosjenka
All that Jacob has written about tacky vile comments of Lease in a closed group, I have no problem believing. Anyone who has ever seen TSL Patreon knows well he is capable of these words.

It is interesting to belong and I would assume, contribute to a closed figure skating gossip group and then go out someone's comments bc this person this is a celebrity so to speak. I mean, if you lay with dogs, you wake up with flees.

The seriousness of allegations are as such that I do not buy them. If he was afraid he would delete and never mention it again. It seems like there is something else there and it could be something petty and idiotic.

Tell me Dave Lease makes vile comments and expect me to be surprised. Please…

I dont have a problem that Lease, most likely, posts openly about the sexual abuse in the sport for, very likely his own benefit and publicity. This seems to be the issue for many people I have spoken about on this subject. That it is bad bc he is doign it for the wrong reasons, for selfish reasons. I am not convinced this is his primary motivation, but as queen Elizabeth would say, I have no desire to make windows into mens souls.

On My Own

It is interesting to belong and I would assume, contribute to a closed figure skating gossip group and then go out someone's comments bc this person this is a celebrity so to speak. I mean, if you lay with dogs, you wake up with flees.
This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information