U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

Hedwig

Antique member
Best wishes to them! But wow what a shocker……out of the blue he reappears 😳
That is - unexpected- to say the least. And I feel a bit weird about this. I was really worried about him and now I feel a bit like I was - dunno- this does not make a lot of sense. 🤔

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Do MIDA have any junior teams? When they first announced the new group I expected them to start with mostly younger skaters and build their way up but, as far as I'm aware, their six(?) teams are all seniors.

CesYeg

That is - unexpected- to say the least. And I feel a bit weird about this. I was really worried about him and now I feel a bit like I was - dunno- this does not make a lot of sense. 🤔
I agree…..very strange and confusing! He and his last partner Isabella were very close and had a promising future ahead of them. He suddenly cut himself off from her and had no contact what so ever! Now he suddenly reappears in the skating world. Very weird indeed!!!

Sylvia

TBD
Wolfkostin writes about "New beginnings" today: https://www.instagram.com/p/Csd4InULhZP/
The last few months have been a time of tremendous change for me. I tried to stay open and focused- skills, goals, really just working on improving whatever I can. And I got to know some really amazing people in the process. Then Dimitry wrote to me and wow!!! I always knew him as a competitor but never imagined that we would someday join forces as partners. I can’t begin to describe how excited and happy I am for this new beginning! Time to create, build, learn, and grow.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Welcome back to junior dancers Caroline and Brendan Mullen! 🎉

From their post tonight:

"We are very excited to announce that we have been training with a new coaching team. We are working with Dmytri Ilin and Ruslan Goncharov, and our off-ice coach, Meredith Jones. At the start of last season, Brendan suffered a terrible ankle injury and we were extremely disappointed to not be able to compete. After months of recovery, we decided that this would be the best decision for us. We are grateful to everyone who has helped us this past year and we can’t wait for the upcoming season!"​

(Among their many hashtags: #junioricedance #junioricedancers #junioricedanceteam )

They were on the ISP list for the 2022-23 season.
Hope they will get themselves back on it before long. 🙏

layman

Too late to correct my typo above - it's Kolesnik, of course.

Fan Zone article on Chock/Bates by Darci Miller (June 2):
From what they said, it sounds like Chock and Bates could go either way...retire or have a (really) late start to next season (if they decide to continue).

With so much on their to do list...touring, vacation, a wedding...they might not get back to skating for a minute. If they do decide to continue, do we feel that they will skip the Grand Prix? They got a (slightly) late start last season and it showed! They showed up unprepared at Skate America but it was all uphill from there (until they finally achieved their goal of winning a World Championship). With even more of late start next season (if they decide to continue), I wonder if they will skip the Grand Prix altogether.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
From what they said, it sounds like Chock and Bates could go either way...retire or have a (really) late start to next season (if they decide to continue).

With so much on their to do list...touring, vacation, a wedding...they might not get back to skating for a minute. If they do decide to continue, do we feel that they will skip the Grand Prix? They got a (slightly) late start last season and it showed! They showed up unprepared at Skate America but it was all uphill from there (until they finally achieved their goal of winning a World Championship). With even more of late start next season (if they decide to continue), I wonder if they will skip the Grand Prix altogether.
Their schedule this year seems pretty comparable to last year. They were on tour post-Worlds 2022 until early June, just like this year, then they were at the ISU Congress and took a few weeks off for vacation the rest of June, then back to Montreal in early July before they did some shows in late July/early August in Japan.

Their main problem going into Skate America was that they had a terrible FD, which they quickly re-worked between SkAm and NHK. An earlier start to the season would have certainly given them time prior to SkAm to fix the FD, rather than scrambling through the GP season, but it's not as though it kept them from winning Worlds in the end. If they can show up at SkAm this fall with two good programs, that will make all the difference in the world and perceptions of them.

Sylvia

TBD

With so much on their to do list...touring, vacation, a wedding...
Their wedding is scheduled for 2024 - C/B fan thread post #10 (plus their Partnership for Clean Competition keynote address video from April is linked in post #11): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-have-led-to-this-moment.110628/#post-6437924

Rubies

Isabella Flores posted about a GoFund me to raise $25k for Vanya's release from Belarus.

Daphne

Isabella Flores posted about a GoFund me to raise $25k for Vanya's release from Belarus.

#FreeVanya

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
This is such a rough situation and I really feel for them having to deal with this on top of everything else the last couple of years, but even if they were my favourite team I would not consider giving any of my money (albeit indirectly) to the Belarussian federation.

aliona22

I’m disappointed that USFS has put this burden on the skaters and isn’t picking up the tab here for such a promising team.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I’m disappointed that USFS has put this burden on the skaters and isn’t picking up the tab here for such a promising team.
1) I don't think the USFS is swimming in cash and $25k can be best put to other uses like developmental camps that benefit more than just two skaters.

2) Pay ransom on one skater for a release (a skater whose best success was on the JGP in 2021 was 5th & 7th) and soon other feds will expect that as well.

Last edited:

barbarafan

1) I don't think the USFS is swimming in cash and $25k can be best put to other uses like developmental camps that benefit more than just two skaters.

2) Pay ransom on one skater for a release (a skater whose best success was on the JGP in 2021 was 5th & 7th) and soon other feds will expect that as well.
I do not think that selling a skater should be allowed by the ISU. Once they have passed their time without competing if the owner company refuses to release a skater the ISU should be stepping in and overruling the refusal after checking circumstances..ie....if nothing done after a further 6 months they investigate to see how much funding was given versus what results they got ....bearing in mind how much work the skaters did....& suggest a token amount if deemed fair.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Carhart/Horovyi are competing at the Paradise Coast Classic this weekend. There’s a livestream on YouTube (which I wish I would have discovered yesterday!). Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/live/3c3iY8j4dgo?feature=share

They skated the RD yesterday - link to results https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2023/32314/CAT039SEG050.html

Their FD is at 3:40 ET today.

ETA: I found the archive from yesterday! The Jr RD is at the four hour and ten minute mark https://www.youtube.com/live/JTwcqDDsBbM?feature=share

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
That RD performance wasn't too bad for June. :) They need to work out the wobbliness, but it had a nice flow to it. Haven't seen the FD yet -- I meant to watch it live but forgot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information