U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

VGThuy

He might want to have a sort of of goodbye Skate. Yagudin had the time of his life at 2002 Worlds. I think the last time all of the Olympic champions competed at the post-Olympic Worlds was 1992. Kristi and M/D definitely skated better at Worlds than they did at the Olympics from what I remember.

sk9tingfan

Nathan is already set up pretty well financially so I doubt if money would play a major role in his decision for Worlds. My guess is that it'll come down to health and motivation.
ITA. Also, he starts touring with Stars On Ice as of April 14th.

Trillian

One of Jason's issues was his original coach, Kori Ade. I remember that well before Nationals in 2014, she was asked why she wasn't emphasizing Jason's quad development. Her reply was that she deliberately emphasized the skating skills aspect, and that Jason could always learn a quad. She did him a disservice in her ignorance.

I have no idea what she said, but I’m guessing it’s more likely she de-emphasized the jumps when he was younger, if anything. By 2014 the quad conversation around him was already in full swing and I’m sure she and Jason were both aware he needed one. But it took him a few years to get a triple axel, and even when I first saw him compete in novice, it was very apparent he wasn’t any kind of jumping prodigy. I think the more old-fashioned thing about the approach, if anything, was that he didn’t attempt jumps in competition until he could actually do them with a reasonable expectation of success. There’s a reason we don’t see a ton of clean programs anymore.

Anyway, Jason can’t do a quad, nobody else can do the things he does in his programs, people either value all those other skating skills or they don’t, and nobody has a time machine. This conversation is never going to change.

VGThuy

I have no idea what she said, but I’m guessing it’s more likely she de-emphasized the jumps when he was younger, if anything. By 2014 the quad conversation around him was already in full swing and I’m sure she and Jason were both aware he needed one. But it took him a few years to get a triple axel, and even when I first saw him compete in novice, it was very apparent he wasn’t any kind of jumping prodigy. I think the more old-fashioned thing about the approach, if anything, was that he didn’t attempt jumps in competition until he could actually do them with a reasonable expectation of success. There’s a reason we don’t see a ton of clean programs anymore.

Anyway, Jason can’t do a quad, nobody else can do the things he does in his programs, people either value all those other skating skills or they don’t, and nobody has a time machine. This conversation is never going to change.
And the truth is we have a scoring system that is supposed to award skaters for what they do well while punishing elements that are executed poorly...in theory. Jason just happens to be a case where he was able to "break" the system in a way where he was able to get high GOE and PCS for nearly every element he did despite having a BV that is behind most of the top half of the field. Some don't like it because they haven't seen the scoring system applied correctly much and are instead used to GOE and PCS scores being set up like the U.S. tax system, the higher scores are only reserved for those who reach a certain BV and even higher scores are for those who reach an even higher BV, so on and so forth. In Jason's case, he is receiving GOE and PCS that usually reserved for those with the top BV and it confuses people despite the fact that this is exactly how this scoring system is supposed to work. Arguably some argue his PCS should be even higher, but that's subjective.

Now if only those who are going for high BV but have lower quality elements and programs and skating skills stopped getting superficially inflated GOE and PCS just because they're going for higher elements. Yes, I am risking the likes of some of our top men who have impressive BV and jumps and even personality on ice but sacrificed things like transitions and choreography to do so.

Last edited:

skatfan

He might want to have a sort of of goodbye Skate. Yagudin had the time of his life at 2002 Worlds. I think the last time all of the Olympic champions competed at the post-Olympic Worlds was 1992. Kristi and M/D definitely skated better at Worlds than they did at the Olympics from what I remember.
Kristi was also skating in her home SF Bay area for that Worlds - so I'm sure she wouldn't have considered withdrawing. It is nice when it happens.

VGThuy

Kristi was also skating in her home SF Bay area for that Worlds - so I'm sure she wouldn't have considered withdrawing. It is nice when it happens.
I remember after her skate, she skated to a group of her friends in the crowd in the front rows and Rudi was one of them. That was very nice to see. How lucky Worlds was in Oakland that year for her.

Jessica

Stephanie

Jacob Sanchez won the Mabel Fairbanks Skatingly Yours Fund Elite Athlete Award in the developmental category. :cheer2:

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...skatingly-yours-fund-elite-athlete-award.aspx

Established in January 2021, the Mabel Fairbanks Skatingly Yours Fund was created to support the training and development of promising figure skaters who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC)..."During the Fund's application process, we ask athletes to share with us why they feel they're deserving of the award; their financial needs; and challenges they have experienced," said Ouida Robins, a selection committee member and member of the U.S. Figure Skating Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force. "Financial need is a big component for us, but we also really look for those skaters who 'embody' characteristics of Mabel – like perseverance, resilience, tenacity – that's also really important to us."

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I get that he’s doing 4 triple axels - quad axels haha - but if he’s serious about doing the quad Axel, he seems like the type that may make it happen. I mean 4 3Axels in a row is still kinda crazy to me.
Oh for sure. I was referring to the comments on his insta.

I’d wager quadg0d will land a quint before a ratifiable 4A.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I get that he’s doing 4 triple axels - quad axels haha - but if he’s serious about doing the quad Axel, he seems like the type that may make it happen. I mean 4 3Axels in a row is still kinda crazy to me.
Yeah, I think it's as crazy as skaters doing all 6 triples in sequence. It's just... how do you keep up the momentum and speed necessary?
Oh for sure. I was referring to the comments on his insta.

I dunno... in his TSL interview last month, I didn’t get the impression he is focused on a quint at this time. I think he'd rather get a 4A.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
It’s possible - sometimes the next tier of jump revolutions comes to a skater out of order compared to the traditional T>S>Lo>F>Z>A BV sequence.

I landed my 2Z and 2F before my first 2S and landed my first 3T about half a year before I got my first clean 2A.

livetoskate

It’s possible - sometimes the next tier of jump revolutions comes to a skater out of order compared to the traditional T>S>Lo>F>Z>A BV sequence.

I landed my 2Z and 2F before my first 2S and landed my first 3T about half a year before I got my first clean 2A.
Impressive. Did you ever go to sectionals or nationals, or do you still compete?

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
Impressive. Did you ever go to sectionals or nationals, or do you still compete?
Nah, that was back in the 90s. I was a jumping bean and even landed 3Lzs once in a blue moon in practice (the Lz was actually my best jump), never landed a fully rotated 3S or 3Lo though. However, I never tested past Novice and never made it out of Regionals because I couldn't spin for s***. Never had a true sit spin, and for some reason I always had trouble with forward spins instead of back spins.

Sylvia

TBD
AFTER HITTING HIS PEAK AT THESE GAMES, FIGURE SKATER JASON BROWN IS SAVORING THE MOMENT by Lynn Rutherford (Feb. 11): https://www.teamusa.org/News/2022/F...ure-Skater-Jason-Brown-Is-Savoring-The-Moment
“I would love, love, love to be one of those skaters that could push the sport in that (technical) direction as well,” Brown said. “That’s not how the chips fell for me. I am going to push it the way I know how. One of the coolest things about skating is that everyone, when you step on the ice, can put out their unique style. I don’t want anyone to ever forget that.”
Brown is not slated to compete at the 2022 world championships to be held late next month in Montpellier, France. Ilia Malinin, the 17-year-old U.S. silver medalist, was named to the world team, along with Chen and fellow 2022 Olympian Vincent Zhou. Brown is first alternate.
Even If his two performances in Beijing mark the final time he competes, Brown has no plans to leave figure skating entirely. He may teach those clinics Wilson predicted.
“The amount of knowledge that I have within this sport is way too great to ever walk away and not give it back to the next generations,” Brown said.
“I don’t know what it’s going to look like, if it’s in coaching, choreography, getting to dabble working with different skaters. I don’t know what it will look like, mentoring, but 100 percent I want to stay involved.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information