U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Allskate

I look forward to Ilia/Yuma competitions; I hope they stay strong and agile and prove worthy of my fantasies.
I'm really looking forward to watching them both develop technically and artistically. Kagiyama gets so much height and finishes his rotations so quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the first to land a quint. And the quad god seems intent on those quad/quads combos, so I wouldn't be surprised if he does one in competition very soon.

AYS

🌻
Luckily for Kagiyama, his father is actually his coach and a former Olympian himself so he probably knows what he’s doing. He gave Kagiyama glorious textbook skating skills and an excellent foundation already.
He shares this parental situation with Malinin, although maybe the foundation they've given Malinin are more in the jump area (but he's no slouch in spin and SS).

It is quite amazing how much glorious knees and edges are so often a characteristic of Japanese skaters in general (not all but many), but Kagiyama truly takes it to another level.

Apropos of nothing in this discussion, I just noticed that Malinin and I share a birthday.

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

Nah, that was back in the 90s. I was a jumping bean and even landed 3Lzs once in a blue moon in practice (the Lz was actually my best jump), never landed a fully rotated 3S or 3Lo though. However, I never tested past Novice and never made it out of Regionals because I couldn't spin for s***. Never had a true sit spin, and for some reason I always had trouble with forward spins instead of back spins.

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

Nah, that was back in the 90s. I was a jumping bean and even landed 3Lzs once in a blue moon in practice (the Lz was actually my best jump), never landed a fully rotated 3S or 3Lo though. However, I never tested past Novice and never made it out of Regionals because I couldn't spin for s***. Never had a true sit spin, and for some reason I always had trouble with forward spins instead of back spins.
You could still kick butt in Adult competition, if you aren’t already doing so. There are many former kid skaters competing these days, which is cool to see.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
You could still kick butt in Adult competition, if you aren’t already doing so. There are many former kid skaters competing these days, which is cool to see.
I thought of it, but I don't have enough seniority to bounce off in the middle of the school year, and there's only one skating rink (still closed) in my state. But muscle memory is still there - I still had all my single jumps (except A) when I last skated on ice three years ago despite not touching ice for almost 2 years or seriously training two decades ago.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Amazing video of past US gold medalists welcoming Nathan to the club
Welp, that made me cry. 😭😭😭 I loved it. Legends all, especially our first American Olympic champions in the ladies and men's event, Dr. Tenley Albright and Mr. Dick Button. It is poignant that every one of our Olympic champions are still with us.

That video is a precious keepsake because it is likely the last one where all of our Olympic champions are in one, congratulating the newest member of the Gold Club. 🥺

I also can't help but wonder if, were it not for the tragedy of the 1961 Worlds team, perhaps we would have had a 1964 Olympic champion or two. 🥺💔

Uncle Dick is frail, but still hearty enough to give our newest Olympic champion a shout out. I noticed that Nathan placed a heart ❤ right next to Uncle Dick's name, in his Insta Story. Nathan may not know it, but he too has reached legend status!

Congratulations Nathan. You soared to the top of Mount Olympus. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🔥🔥🔥🚀🚀🚀⛸⛸

Last edited:

livetoskate

It's pretty amazing that US Figure Skating was able to gather all those videos from so many people so quickly. I hope it gets saved on their website or somewhere so more people can see it.

Allskate

It's pretty amazing that US Figure Skating was able to gather all those videos from so many people so quickly. I hope it gets saved on their website or somewhere so more people can see it.
Brian and Scott mentioned on one of the Olympic Ice episodes that the American Olympic gold medalists had a group text going during the men's event. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided then and there - or even before - to do this.

euterpe

Just learned that JW in Bulgaria has been cancelled. There is a possibility it will be moved to another venue in May, but that hasn't been confirmed. Ilia was planning to go to both JW and Worlds; now he'll be doing just Challenge Cup (to get the SP minimum) and Worlds.

VGThuy

That whole special club of American Olympic gold medalists made me look up American Olympic silver medalists who lost gold to another American and I found out they were Ronnie Robertson who lost out to Hayes Alan Jenkins in 1956 and Michelle Kwan in 1998.

skatingguy

decently
That whole special club of American Olympic gold medalists made me look up American Olympic silver medalists who lost gold to another American and I found out they were Ronnie Robertson who lost out to Hayes Alan Jenkins in 1956 and Michelle Kwan in 1998.
Robbie Robertson got a contract after he retired for two years with Ice Capades for $100,000. He retired in 1956. That's more than a million dollars in today's money.

AYS

🌻
Also Carol Heiss behind Albright, but she moved into the club the next Olympics.

VGThuy

Also Carol Heiss behind Albright, but she moved into the club the next Olympics.
That’s why I initially didn’t include her because she’s part of the club even though I should have with the way I worded my post.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
That chuckle from Dick Button made me smile. The whole video was beautiful.

I’m happy to have a chance to see Uncle Dick again. I wish him all the love.
I was elated to see his cameo given how we haven't seen him for years, also a bit choked up because of how frail he looked (but understandable, he's 92 years old). Mr. Cantaloop said he watched a program where Scott Hamilton said that Dick Button wanted to watch Nathan but fell asleep (don't blame, Mr. Button can do whatever he wants, especially at his age!)

In light of that, I think it's amazing how he was always so energetic and witty with his commentary - when he was doing those broadcasts and interviews, I had no idea he was doing that well into his 60s and 70s! I feel sad for the generations who will grow up not knowing what "first-rate" and "rusty hoot" are. He was an iconic skating meme machine before the Internet knew what memes were.

Allskate

Mr. Cantaloop said he watched a program where Scott Hamilton said that Dick Button wanted to watch Nathan but fell asleep (don't blame, Mr. Button can do whatever he wants, especially at his age!)
I'm on the West Coast and tried to watch the RD live but fell asleep. And I don't have Dick's age as an excuse. :D

I still can't watch a layback spin without thinking of Dick. And I always notice when Johnny Weir says that something will stand a skater in good stead because I'm almost certain he got that from Dick's commentary. What I liked most about Dick's commentary is that you could tell just how much he loved figure skating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information