US Adult Nationals in Cleveland April 2024

livetoskate

I'm not going either but hope you all have a great time! If easterns or adult nationals comes closer to the NC/DC area, I will go.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
USFS' press release (will link to the results page after the starting orders are posted and to the YouTube livestream(s) when the Rink 1 events are listed on USFS' channel):
The adult skating community pushed back on only having streaming from Rink 1, and we were told that the LOC stepped up to pay for streaming on Rink 2. Hopefully there will be links provided in the usual manner. Plus, for anyone interested in watching Rink 2 (which does have championship dance events held on it), there is a donation link to help defray the LOC costs.

IMO, shame on USFS for only providing streaming from one rink. Especially for the large amount of entry fees that we pay.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I had no idea that Sierra Boggess was an adult skater :eek: If there's any skater that should be skating to their own vocals, it's her! (But props to her for choosing another piece of music instead.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I watched the pattern dance in the Championship Solo Dance event this afternoon and was extremely impressed. I hope the posters here who are familiar with the Adult rules in the US can answer two questions for me.

1) for the pattern dances, does USFS have a list of approved music, or can the competitors use any music they want that has the set tempo for the dance? I noticed that some competitors skated to the ISU instrumental music for the dance (Argentine Tango) and others skated to pop/rock songs. I never thought I would see someone skate the Argentine Tango to AC/DC's Back In Black, but it fit really well.

2) I also noticed, with the help of Google, that some of the competitors also participated in this year's USFS Collegiate Championships. Is this new? I thought that there were restrictions on competing at Adult Nationals and competing in other USFS national events in the same year.

alizadavida

I watched the pattern dance in the Championship Solo Dance event this afternoon and was extremely impressed. I hope the posters here who are familiar with the Adult rules in the US can answer two questions for me.

1) for the pattern dances, does USFS have a list of approved music, or can the competitors use any music they want that has the set tempo for the dance? I noticed that some competitors skated to the ISU instrumental music for the dance (Argentine Tango) and others skated to pop/rock songs. I never thought I would see someone skate the Argentine Tango to AC/DC's Back In Black, but it fit really well.

2) I also noticed, with the help of Google, that some of the competitors also participated in this year's USFS Collegiate Championships. Is this new? I thought that there were restrictions on competing at Adult Nationals and competing in other USFS national events in the same year.
To answer number 2 I know people who competed at national theatre on ice / synchro sectionals who are competing so I don't know if there are restrictions

Debbie S

Re #2, I believe the restriction is only for skaters who compete at standard track Sectionals and/or Nats....they can't compete at AN in the same season but others can as long as they meet age and test reqs.

livetoskate

Championship events are being streamed live now:
This is Rink 1 where the junior/senior men's is about to start:

Sylvia

TBD
Max gave Michael a fight for the gold this year - protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/30919/SEGM043.html

1 Michael Solonoski, IceWorks SC 86.97 - congrats to him on his 3rd consecutive national title! :cheer: ETA his March 19th video: https://www.facebook.com/USFSAdultS...ers-junior-senior-mens-champ/862481972301168/
2 Max Wang, Glacier Falls FSC 79.80
3 Stephen Kucera, Dallas FSC 45.45

Final event in Rink 1 after the ice resurfacing is Championship Masters Junior-Senior Women FS: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/30919/CAT041SEG044.html

Past 3-time winners in this field: Kristina Struthwolf-Leato and Regan Alsup.
2nd-4th last year and competing again this year are Ashlee Pantano, Alice Gee and Ashlyn Olson.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to this year's Championship Masters Junior-Senior Women medalists!
GOLD Kristina Struthwolf-Leato, Centennial Park FSC 80.85
SILVER Ashlee Pantano, Ice House Skating Academy 73.71
BRONZE Alice Gee, Memorial FSC Of Houston 73.49
POWER Regan Alsup, Detroit SC 71.77

My favorite music of the day was skated by Diane Zhou (6th place) to "Kara Main Theme by Philip Sheppard from Detroit Become Human: https://soundcloud.com/radiomovies/6-kara-main-theme-asp-mstr-1

Sylvia

TBD
Not in USFS' recap article but Michael Solonoski has since confirmed to me that he sang/recorded his own cover of "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" :) (according to wiki - "lyrics written by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman and original music written by Michel Legrand for the 1969 film The Happy Ending. The song was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song...):

ETA link to Michael’s post+pics (#5 is a clip of his lovely 3S): https://www.instagram.com/p/C5jGLXPLeUE/

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Aw, so near to me but so far. Had to stop skating several years back due to injuries and work obligations, but had always hoped to go to ANs.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Just wanted to say that watching the ANs livestreams was a really great and inspiring experience for me. I know it's easy to focus on the higher levels, but across the board there was a lot of great skating at every level. I honestly wish the elite skaters (and their teams) would take a page from the adults and stick their necks out a little more on the creative front. I saw so many programs that felt fresh even within the limitations of IJS.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Just wanted to say that watching the ANs livestreams was a really great and inspiring experience for me. I know it's easy to focus on the higher levels, but across the board there was a lot of great skating at every level. I honestly wish the elite skaters (and their teams) would take a page from the adults and stick their necks out a little more on the creative front. I saw so many programs that felt fresh even within the limitations of IJS.

I completely agree. I watched a lot of the livestreams and was so impressed with every event. I almost felt a little sad that the USFS press release focused on the medalists in the higher-level events, because it seems like such an inclusive event that isn't just about winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information