USA Today: NBC commentators Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir participate in vulgar video spoof of U.S. Olympian

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member

Do Ms. Lipinski and Weir not realize they are the premier ambassadors for our sport? Yet again,I find myself embarrassed to be a fan of this once pure Olympic sport.

Leave vulgar innuendo like this in the locker room,or perhaps happy hour at the homosexual disco.

-BB

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Brennan hitting hard on Weir's birthday.

I think it was discussed here a few times and I know I've pointed out that Johnny just really seems to not like Bradie, at least he didn't in 2019. I forget which event it was, but he was really digging in to her and I never really got why considering how consistent she has been for US ladies' skating.

Did anyone see the video?

aftershocks

Banned Member
My goodness, what's the world coming to? :drama: Never fear, Christine Brennan is 'Christy on the Spot' regarding anything involving a hint of scandal, especially connected with figure skating.

Don't tell me this total disgrace happened last month! What took hard-hitting Christy so long to uncover this despicable spoof? Well, I guess she made up for it alright with her scintillating analysis, or perhaps she was just saving her eye-opening report as a gift for Johnny's birthday. Hmmm, thanks for the heads-up on that reminder @Tony Wheeler. LOL! I know Michelle Kwan's birthday is fast approaching (July 7), but I completely forgot about Johnny's today!

I haven't seen the spoof yet, but Johnny and Tara need to watch their p's and q's, and btw consider putting a gag on Tara during figure skating performances, please. Too much unnecessary talking, my gosh. Moreover, leave Bradie Tennell alone. :angryfire It's enough already with Dave Lease's TSL putdowns! In everything other than figure skating coverage, Johnny & Tara seem to do a fantastic job together (dog shows, horse racing, football, the Summer Olympics, etc). :COP:

The mention of 'no comment' by U.S. figure skating is business as usual. In this instance though, I doubt there's much they could be expected to offer.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Until I saw Tennell in person, I thought she was a solid and reliable team player for the United States.

At the World Team Trophy last year, she was absolutely fantastic. Her sophistication, drive and fire during the ladies' free skate made for a captivating performance.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

My goodness, what's the world coming to? :drama: Never fear, Christine Brennan is 'Christy on the Spot' regarding anything involving a hint of scandal, especially connected with figure skating.

I haven't seen the spoof yet, but Johnny and Tara need to watch their p's and q's, and btw consider putting a gag on Tara during figure skating performances, please. Too much unnecessary talking, my gosh. Moreover, leave Bradie Tennell alone. :angryfire It's enough already with Dave Lease's TSL putdowns! In everything other than figure skating coverage, Johnny & Tara seem to do a fantastic job together (dog shows, horse racing, football, the Summer Olympics, etc). :COP:

The mention of 'no comment' by U.S. figure skating is business as usual. In this instance though, I doubt there's much they could be expected to offer.

Every time she breaks a story, Ms Brennan has a certain look of orgasmic pride. Whether it is merited or not, Brennan certainly loves sticking her snout into the scandal trough, that's for sure.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Every time she breaks a story, Ms Brennan has a certain look of orgasmic pride. Whether it is merited or not, Brennan certainly loves sticking her snout into the scandal trough, that's for sure.

I never realized until recently that in either late 1995 or early 1996, she actually was banned by USFSA because of her behavior, and I don't remember the specifics but I think it was because they felt she was more invested in getting stories for her book(s) than actually on writing about the sport-- or that was a potential reason. I forget. :lol:

ETA- I'm boasting about myself (shame on me), but following the mens free skate at 2018 Nationals when I shared that Miner had not been named to the team, I had a certain orgasmic pride when she chimed in some 10 hours later with the same news as if it were breaking :p

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Until I saw Tennell in person, I thought she was a solid and reliable team player for the United States.

At the World Team Trophy last year, she was absolutely fantastic. Her sophistication, drive and fire during the ladies' free skate made for a captivating performance.

Yep, with Bradie, still waters run deep. She should never be underestimated as a fierce competitor, dedicated to continually improving and challenging herself.

aftershocks

Banned Member
ETA- I'm boasting about myself (shame on me), but I had a certain orgasmic pride following the mens free skate at 2018 Nationals when I shared that Miner had not been named to the team, only for her to come in some 10 hours later with the same news as if it were breaking :p

:lol: Shame on you @Tony Wheeler. Tsk tsk, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter, aside from: Leave Ross Miner alone already!!! :angryfire :lynch:

:p

OTOH, thanks for your refreshing honesty and astute powers of self-reflection, sorely needed these days.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I never realized until recently that in either late 1995 or early 1996, she actually was banned by USFSA because of her behavior, and I don't remember the specifics but I think it was because they felt she was more invested in getting stories for her book(s) than actually on writing about the sport-- or that was a potential reason. I forget. :lol:

ETA- I'm boasting about myself (shame on me), but following the mens free skate at 2018 Nationals when I shared that Miner had not been named to the team, I had a certain orgasmic pride when she chimed in some 10 hours later with the same news as if it were breaking :p

I vaguely remember how Ms Brennan laughed off her ban because it was during the off-season, too. She presented her editor with a blank piece of paper, saying there had actually been nothing to report.

I never understood US Skating's relationship with this lady. It's like having to invite your crazy grandma to a family gathering, because she is the only one who can get a discount at Costco.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think it was because they felt she was more invested in getting stories for her book(s) than actually on writing about the sport-- or that was a potential reason.

Maybe they banned Brennan after her obvious overly eager and aggressive questioning of the former U.S. figure skating president regarding the Russia drug scandal. He was pressured into saying something he didn't intend to say. It happened during a press conference that had to do with U.S. federation business, not with Russian federation business. :duh:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I reworded it for clarity. LOL. I wasn't beaming that Miner was off the team, I was just beaming when she posted it as breaking and was told it was old news :lol:

:rofl: Watch that phrasing there @Tony Wheeler. Ross is Boss! And I ain't kidding. He was always a skater's skater, and a pretty cool person too.

Actually, once I re-read what you initially said a few times, I have to admit that I realized you weren't necessarily looking down on Ross. :) BTW, Ross handled that whole episode with generosity and grace, no matter how he was feeling inside. 2018 U.S. Nationals provided some very special moments for Ross and his coaches, Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson. Those moments and feelings are what the sport is really all about, and can't be taken away by any committee's decision, or naysayers' critiques.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
You must have missed the jarring commentary of Chris Howarth at YOG which drew so many complaints that the ISU replaced him with Paul for Europeans. Both were abysmal.

Is there a source that Howarth was replaced with Paul for Euros/4CC based on his commentary at YOG? I knew people weren't thrilled with his commentary there, but I doubt the ISU took action and replaced him based on fan feedback.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

You must have missed the jarring commentary of Chris Howarth at YOG which drew so many complaints that the ISU replaced him with Paul for Europeans. Both were abysmal.

I'll have to watch those events now.

Surely, they couldn't have been worse than when Australia had Sandy Roberts in 1998, a blokey football diehard virtually complaining why he had to do this, or Eddie McGuire in 2010 making really offensive gay jokes during the men's event.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... in either late 1995 or early 1996, she actually was banned...

Oh, if it was that far back, it wasn't about the Russia drug scandal, but as you say something related to the skating-related book she was writing. I'm not surprised to hear she was once banned for aggressive digging behavior unrelated to normal reporting matters at hand.

Tada

After reading the transcript, I’m more offended by how boring and lame the “jokes” were.

Do Ms. Lipinski and Weir not realize they are the premier ambassadors for our sport? Yet again,I find myself embarrassed to be a fan of this once pure Olympic sport.

Leave vulgar innuendo like this in the locker room,or perhaps happy hour at the homosexual disco.

-BB
I’m trying to wrap my head around this horrifying example of media!s cruelty to a female plus a completely desensitized reaction to the main point.

skatfan

I think Brennan somehow survived the career-jeopardizing move by the USFSA to ban her in the off Season 25 years ago. :rolleyes:

As far as Tara/Johnny go, I can’t imagine another set of US commentators doing this to a current competitor.

love skating

Clueless American
I remember seeing this clip. The Pitch Perfect announcers try to be funny like their movies. Tara and Johnny just say the moves she is doing. I doubt they even saw any skater cause they misidentified the moves. I remember I was more offended at the misidentification then anything. It wasn't funny but I don't see any reason for a scandal.

Orm Irian

Given the inordinate and pointed mean-spiritedness both Weir and Lipinski display as commentators on the regular, somehow it's not a surprise to find that they would agree to participate in a 'spoof' aimed at degrading one of their country's highest-profile skaters. Not sure what the station representative quoted means by saying the footage of Bradie could have been replaced by 'generic' footage, though. Would footage of a non-American and therefore less controversially degradable skater count as 'generic', or just footage of a less prominent one?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A Facebook friend sent me a link to it when it came out. I'm not sure why it's all controversial now since it's been public for more than a month.

That being said, I agree with @VGThuy that it's not particularly funny. When I saw it, I wondered why Tara and Johnny would do this, especially when the footage was a current competitor. But then I wondered if they had to do it as some sort of NBC promotional/contractual thing, and whether they even saw any footage when they did their commentary. I.e. they were just handed a script and told to read it.

I would hope that as high-profile commentators on the sport, they might have spoken up and said that jokes about camel toes were lame and were demeaning to female athletes. But maybe they didn't get that, or didn't think they could or should say something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information