VPN tips, advice, recommendations, etc.

On My Own

I really don't understand why I am so fckuing stupid I still can't figure out how to find these videos. Even when I click on posted links all I get are interviews and clips, not the full skating events, or the "this is blocked in your area" whatever message. I have the Opera thing, nothing but previews and interviews. I tried the Google Chrome VPN above and downloaded that, nothing but previews and interviews. I clicked this exact link

and again nothing but interviews and previews. Yes, I am subscribed to the channel. What exactly do I have to click and where is it to find these competitions? I'm reaching the point I am just going to quit watching skating because I am so fckuing stupid I can't figure out how to watch it anymore. I don't understand how everyone else can find these videos and I never can. What am I doing wrong???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaqEqbSFQ84&list=PLuiPiC1Hk8eKojMvVF-EyKRXSQ30uUAts try this and let me know what you see.

Are you turning the VPN on?

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
You can verify the VPN is working here:

Do you see a “Live” tab on the ISU YouTube page? The full-event archives should be there (keep scrolling past all the speed skating events to get to GPF).

BaileyCatts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaqEqbSFQ84&list=PLuiPiC1Hk8eKojMvVF-EyKRXSQ30uUAts try this and let me know what you see.

Are you turning the VPN on?

When I click this in both Opera and Google, its just says video unavailable.

On Opera, the little VPN box is light blue and gives me an option to pick Americas, Europe and Asia, and all 3 says video unavailable. But that's it. Everyone else keeps talking about picking specific countries and I don't see anything like a list to pick specific countries?

I downloaded Google Chrome because it was not on my new laptop. I then downloaded the extension a couple posts above in here. It said to click the puzzle piece and "Pin" it and I did that too. Do I have to do something else other than be in Google to make it work? All the little bubbles are blue. But I don't see anything about picking countries here either.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I downloaded Google Chrome because it was not on my new laptop. I then downloaded the extension a couple posts above in here. It said to click the puzzle piece and "Pin" it and I did that too. Do I have to do something else other than be in Google to make it work? All the little bubbles are blue. But I don't see anything about picking countries here either.
Once you've pinned the puzzle piece, you have to click on it and then open it up and turn it on by pressing the large start icon in the middle of the pop-up window that appears for the VeePN.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
On Opera, the little VPN box is light blue and gives me an option to pick Americas, Europe and Asia, and all 3 says video unavailable. But that's it. Everyone else keeps talking about picking specific countries and I don't see anything like a list to pick specific countries?
Opera definitely doesn't let you pick a country. Normally, if I try every region, I do find one that works. If you pay for one, you get more control like picking a country instead. But I'm too cheap to pay for one. LOL

BaileyCatts

THANK YOU!! I think (hope!) I have it working now. I swear every time I turn on a computer I get even stupider than I was the day before. :shuffle: When I got my new laptop I couldn't even remember the name of FSU to make a new bookmark. I kept doing every combination of FSU.whatever until I finally remember it was actually fsuniverse. o_O

MacMadame

Doing all the things
THANK YOU!! I think (hope!) I have it working now. I swear every time I turn on a computer I get even stupider than I was the day before. :shuffle: When I got my new laptop I couldn't even remember the name of FSU to make a new bookmark. I kept doing every combination of FSU.whatever until I finally remember it was actually fsuniverse. o_O
IME doing user testing, there are two kinds of users. The ones that click and click until they get it to work and the ones who are scared to click on anything in case their computer explodes or something. I suspect you are the latter. ;)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@MacMadame I'm a clicker. I had a long chat with an unnamed investment company this morning about a dead link. They insisted it worked despite my inspecting the object and noting that the URL was missing. Either I'm getting more dense, or "tech support" is.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
@MacMadame I'm a clicker. I had a long chat with an unnamed investment company this morning about a dead link. They insisted it worked despite my inspecting the object and noting that the URL was missing. Either I'm getting more dense, or "tech support" is.
I'm a clicker too! :lol: I think tech support has always been dense. At least the first-line people. Many have set scripts and can't vary from them even when they need to.

ross_hy

Sigh - why did I wait until today to try and set up a VPN? I've downloaded the Opera browser and definitely have it enabled in 'Europe'. Any suggestions/ideas as to why I'm getting a 'not available in your country' message on the Europeans videos?

maureenfarone

Sigh - why did I wait until today to try and set up a VPN? I've downloaded the Opera browser and definitely have it enabled in 'Europe'. Any suggestions/ideas as to why I'm getting a 'not available in your country' message on the Europeans videos?
Got it! Downloaded a free VPN specifically for Chrome. :) I think I'm in the Netherlands right now (I do want to visit someday). ;)

It seems that YouTube has figured out I'm in the U.S. when I go to the ISU channel on Opera. None of the GP comp vids are available anymore. :(
Debbie S posted this in another thread about Opera not working for her any longer. I'm no expert but you may have to try another VPN. I've seen Norton, Express and Proton mentioned and there should be some free versions available.

ross_hy

Debbie S posted this in another thread about Opera not working for her any longer. I'm no expert but you may have to try another VPN. I've seen Norton, Express and Proton mentioned and there should be some free versions available.
Thank you! I've also tried the Chrome extension mentioned upthread and so far it's working. Greetings from Amsterdam!

Aceon6

Always pick a small but tech savvy country as there is little chance that the broadcasters have rights. The servers in Luxembourg are quite good!

Amy L

Always pick a small but tech savvy country as there is little chance that the broadcasters have rights. The servers in Luxembourg are quite good!
I usually pick countries from whence we have members that complain about lack of skating coverage. In my own way I feel like I'm honoring our Israeli, Australian, or Brazilian friends. :)

Evanstonsktr

I usually pick countries from whence we have members that complain about lack of skating coverage. In my own way I feel like I'm honoring our Israeli, Australian, or Brazilian friends. :)
I am located in the US. I am using the VeePN Chrome extension, set to Singapore to view ISU YouTube content. However, when I try to "cast" my computer screen to my Chromecast, I get the "video not available in your location". Does anyone have a workaround for this situation?

AJ Skatefan

I am located in the US. I am using the VeePN Chrome extension, set to Singapore to view ISU YouTube content. However, when I try to "cast" my computer screen to my Chromecast, I get the "video not available in your location". Does anyone have a workaround for this situation?
I have that problem too. Can’t watch it on the tv

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Hmmm... I haven't tried it lately but when I set the VeePN to the Netherlands and tried to cast to my TV earlier this month, it worked.

Evanstonsktr

Hmmm... I haven't tried it lately but when I set the VeePN to the Netherlands and tried to cast to my TV earlier this month, it worked.
I did some Googling of this problem, and apparently successful "casting" requires that your TV and your computer be on the same "network" inside your home. This Web site explains it.

Addryn

I did some Googling of this problem, and apparently successful "casting" requires that your TV and your computer be on the same "network" inside your home. This Web site explains it.
That is really helpful!

Aceon6

I AM SO EXCITED!!! My new FireStick supports Nord! No more need to connect a laptop via HDMI to the TV for the ISU stream. I’m not sure how new your FireStick needs to be, but if you bought Nord, follow the steps below to install it.
  1. Go to the App Store on the FireStick and select All Categories
  2. Toggle down to Utilities
  3. Select NordVPN and install it
  4. I used my phone to activate it. First, go to the web address on screen and follow the instructions to enter the 6 digit code on the FireStick. Then, on the mobile device, log in to your account. You’ll get a 4 digit code to enter on the FireStick.
  5. Select a country and voila!
  6. Don‘t forget to exit the VPN when you're done as leaving it may interfere with other apps like Peacock.
Wheeee!

The FireStick also supports a number of other VPN services, so check the App Store to see if yours is there.

Disclaimer: This info is for folks who are comfortable with tech and are willing to try as they know the steps to fix things if they don’t work the first time. If the instructions scare you, this may not be the solution for you.

Last edited:

AJ Skatefan

I got a vpn to watch the ISU YouTube channel. It works great on my iPad and computer. I tried casting it from my iPad to the tv but it said it wasn’t available in my country. Is there anyway I can get this to work? I have a Roku stick.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I got a vpn to watch the ISU YouTube channel. It works great on my iPad and computer. I tried casting it from my iPad to the tv but it said it wasn’t available in my country. Is there anyway I can get this to work? I have a Roku stick.
YouTube on your TV is still having an address coming from the US, I’m fairly sure that’s your problem.

Aceon6

You can install a VPN on the Roku and launch YouTube from the stick.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
If you have a Mac, this process is very straight-forward to bypass any issues with being in a prohibited country.

Open up the stream on Opera or whatever browser you can access it, go to full-screen, use the screen mirroring option, and you literally get your laptop screen on your TV-- no restrictions, no blocks. No Roku or Fire sticks or anything.

I'm sure Windows has a similar feature, but I haven't used Windows in 15 years so I couldn't tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information