Where to get skates in NYC area?

asdf

Hello! I am wondering if anyone could recommend a good skate fitter/shop in NYC or NJ area. The last time I got new skates was more than 10 years ago and sadly, my skate fitter has since retired. I have mostly been using SP-Teri's and am happy with them but they are falling apart. I also tried Graf for a couple years but did not like them. Now I heard quite a few people who are happy with Edea so I am toying with the idea of trying them. Any recommendations would be very appreciated!
Thanks!

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
If you can get there, Beacon Hill Skate Shop in Summit, NJ is an excellent choice. Ask for Greg.

Word of caution: Greg doesn't take appointments, so it's first-come, first-serve. If you show up earlier in the day, especially on a weekend, expect to wait a while (bring a book!) as Greg works with customers ahead of you. It's less bonkers after 2PM, if that helps.

Quirky? Absolutely. Worth it? Hell yes. I don't think I've had a better skate fitting experience since my days of going to Bill Klingbeil. Greg's sharpening skills are equally top-notch, and I travel from PA for them.

Since you mentioned Edeas, you should know they are the only brand he intentionally does not stock.

Here are the local shops that do stock Edeas, however:
  • Westside Skate & Stick Shop (174 5th Ave): I haven't used them myself but they're popular with lots of skaters. I believe they stock Edeas.
  • Edge Skate Shop (581 Northfield Avenue West Orange, NJ - Directly across from Codey Arena): I guess they're fine, but I personally had a weird experience there and won't be going back.
  • Skater's Landing in Greenwich, CT: Seems silly to mention a CT shop, but it's just over the state line. Adequate shop and techs.
(ETA: Ice House skate shop may not sell Edeas per the convo below.)

Last edited:

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Does Jim stock Edeas now? Good to know. If so, I'll start recommending him rather than the Edge, which was the only place I knew of that offered Edea. I do not recommend the Edge Skate shop unless you have no other alternatives. Your weird experience - you are not alone on that one.

Jim at Ice House is excellent. By appointment only. Call to get his email, then email asking for an appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information