2024 Paris Olympics Opening Ceremony - La Vie On Boats

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
That said, surrogacy for pay is illegal in the UK, so Daley and his husband went to the US, where they could in fact purchase children. What Daley did in the US would constitute multiple criminal offences in the UK (and elsewhere).

I think there is room for a wide range of views on surrogacy, including that it's always wrong, period, or always wrong if done for pay. The most notable person who made the tweet has made it clear that they believe it's wrong, whether the parents are straight, gay, or any of the other million orientations that now exist.

They didn't adopt. They engaged in surrogacy, using a carefully selected egg (arguably a form of eugenics) and then rented a womb from another. They did it this way so that they would have maximum power / leverage over either of the women. They did all of this in a foreign country because what they did would be illegal in the country where they're living.

They're not above reproach on this.

It's wrong to take it out on the kids, though. Also, what's done is done, and their family is their family even it was created in a morally questionable ways. The tweeter should attempt to change the surrogacy laws, not attack children born by paid surrogates.

Presumably you would be opposed to a government overreach like the UK restricting the personal freedom of its citizens to hire surrogates and to choose to be surrogates?

Asli

Presumably you would be opposed to a government overreach like the UK restricting the personal freedom of its citizens to hire surrogates and to choose to be surrogates?

There is no such personal freedom. It is not a "personal freedom" to hire the uterus of a woman as if she were some sort of incubator, as if there were no bond between the birth mother and the baby, making her take all the risks that come with pregnancy and birth and separating mother and baby at birth when they are craving each other.

Even puppies or kittens are left with their mothers for three months, because it's harmful to separate them.

Governments and international bodies absolutely have to regulate the rights of (often vulnerable) women and babies born out of surrogacy. This isn't overreach.

All of this doesn't excuse badmouthing a family at random occasions once it's done of course.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
There is no such personal freedom. It is not a "personal freedom" to hire the uterus of a woman as if she were some sort of incubator, as if there were no bond between the birth mother and the baby, making her take all the risks that come with pregnancy and birth and separating mother and baby at birth when they are craving each other.

Even puppies or kittens are left with their mothers for three months, because it's harmful to separate them.

Governments and international bodies absolutely have to regulate the rights of (often vulnerable) women and babies born out of surrogacy. This isn't overreach.

All of this doesn't excuse badmouthing a family at random occasions once it's done of course.

This is not a question about your values or mine. It was a question about @Private Citizen's political consistency. I'm sorry if you were confused by the way I made my statement.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Farmer's song from the opening ceremony is stuck in my head. For a week now! I have no idea how to kick it out! And I don't even understand a word of that song!
The only proven way to get the song out of my head is O-Zone, but it's probably even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information