British Skating News, 2022 and beyond

Karen-W

Davison/Borisov and Ritchie/McLeod are both new teams with one partner who is new to pairs, and neither looked really ready to compete. D/B's individual elements were looking good, but they were struggling putting it all together in their programmes. And a spectacular waxel combo from Daniel! They are also using a truly dreadful Postmodern Jukebox-style cover of Lovefool in the SP. Just skate to the Cardigans! Individually, Kyle McLeod looked like the strongest pair skater in this competition, but R/M just need more time. I would still give them the final JGP spot though.
Agreed. There is no sense in wasting the 4th spot and I think that RitMcL are comparable to DavBor at this point, so it seems fair for each of them to have 1 JGP assignment. WoodLap have 2 already and certainly showed that they warrant those assignments. I don't expect them to be competing for the podium at either of their JGPs but their throw 3S was really impressive.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Two more new pairs teams in the entry list for the October Qualifier, published on BIS Sportity account:
  • Isla Shenton / Joel Kirby (Advanced Novice) - not the dude from Love Island :lol: but the 2022 Adv Nov champion (with Jessica Hennessy). Shenton is new to pairs but has been competing in Adv Nov singles, with some decent results but no 2ax. I think he's too old for novice internationally, but for the best that they don't try to compete elements they aren't ready for.
  • Amy-Jayne Robson / Mackenzie Reid (Basic Novice) - I think they're from Aberdeen, and she has also been competing Adv Nov singles.
Coley/Casey are also listed in AdvNov pairs - I'm glad they're still together. I was expecting them to move up and I think he's also aged out of international novice, but he's been withdrawing from singles competitions so maybe they've had some injury issues.

So if everyone stays together for another 3 months we should have 10 or 11 pairs at the British Championships! (3 Basic Novice, 2 Advanced Novice, 4 Junior, 1/2 Senior - I have Smart/Mattick as status unknown at the moment, if anyone knows that they're planning to compete this season, please let me know!)

No dance at the October Qualifier; there's a separate event in November but the last couple of years it's been cancelled and everyone given a bye to the British.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information