Korean skating news & updates

Karen-W

i do not have words to explain my thoughts right now
Here's the one thought I do have right now... Girl, when your parents make you break up with the boy, maybe they have sound reasoning for pushing you in that direction. But, of course, she's a teenager and didn't really want to listen to her parents...
Did she mention his age? And why 17 years?
She did not. I saw it on a preliminary tweet of the news article translation but I'm not positive that it has been stated explicitly by Haein or anyone else associated with her.

airgelaal

I believe 17 is in reference to when they started dating.
I don't remember her mentioning numbers at all. As I understand it, the number 17 arose from the concept that 18 is the age of majority. But in Korea, age is a very confusing category. They have their own standard and there is an international standard. Therefore, even if a Korean mentions age, I’m not even sure that I understand what age they are talking about.

skateblessing

She's also, apparently, trying to use her own age when the relationship began as part of her defense - that it is excusable because she was 17 (and he was 13 :wideeyes: 🤮). Uhm, that makes it even worse, IMO. 17-yr olds have no business being in a romantic relationship with 13-yr olds, full stop.
Yeah, I don´t get it how people can really say it´s okay because they were dating. The age gap is sick. Even if it was the other way around is bad, but I find it particular bad this way around - no shaming on women dating younger, I think it´s great as long as they are both adults. But boys mature typically later than girls, and a 13 year old boy is not even as mature as a girl at his own age. Also there are not only age dynamics here, but power dynamics in a senior skater with a junior skater. From my understanding there is a dynamic particular in the South Korean skating community.

At 17 years I was starting my 2. year of high school, and a 13 year old would not be going for high school in another 3 years in my country. The idea of having a romantic relationship with someone that just started upper secondary school is unthinkable. At most I have only seen people date with one year difference in that age, but the relationship pretty much ended in most cases when the oldest began at high school and the other one wasn´t going there for another year. The changes you have in that period of time is crazy. And by the time the youngest begins at high school with that age difference, the oldest one will either start on university, travel the world or have their first job figuring out life, so their life differences would be even bigger.

I get that school systems are different in every country, and that in a figure skating community the age gap gets blurry if you are in the same training group, but one should always be careful with age and dating, in the danger of exploiting someone that barely entered puberty.

Last edited:

On My Own

I don't remember her mentioning numbers at all. As I understand it, the number 17 arose from the concept that 18 is the age of majority. But in Korea, age is a very confusing category. They have their own standard and there is an international standard. Therefore, even if a Korean mentions age, I’m not even sure that I understand what age they are talking about.
I don't really think age actually matters (unless specified as fact somewhere), and I'm not entirely sure if this 13/17 gap - again, if at all real - is within cultural norms in Korea or not. There's a biological reality that's pretty much universal, and there's a cultural reality that is much less so. This is not me justifying any possible relationship (and certainly not anything non-consensual, as seemed to be the case here at least initially), but rather to point out opinions can indeed differ, depending on the country.

On My Own

Also, I'd like the mods to see what's happening here, once, because I feel like we're giving Skater C away with details of age? Even if just guessed age...

skateblessing

I don't really think age actually matters (unless specified as fact somewhere), and I'm not entirely sure if this 13/17 gap - again, if at all real - is within cultural norms in Korea or not. There's a biological reality that's pretty much universal, and there's a cultural reality that is much less so. This is not me justifying any possible relationship (and certainly not anything non-consensual, as seemed to be the case here at least initially), but rather to point out opinions can indeed differ, depending on the country.
Age does matter as a teenager. During puberty you develop the part of the brain (frontal) that makes you think consequences, reflecting upon choices etc. Before that you act more on impulses and fun, not thinking about consequences, and as the hormones start acting you add it up with a lot more of emotions running in your body. It´s a biological fact and has nothing to do with the culture in your country. The brain of a 13 year old boy that just started puberty is not evolved like a 17 year old female, and boys develope slower than women. And a 17 year female should know that and be aware of it, and not potentially exploit someone that is acting more on impulses. You can compare it to when you drink alcohol, you act more on impulses and don´t think consequences or reflect - that is basically how developed a 13 year old boy brain is. A mature sober human being would be aware when someone is affected by alcohol/drunk and advise them and take care of them, so they are not doing something stupid they would regret when they are sober again. The same kind of act and consideration should we have when it comes to teenager who brains are not fully developed.

In my country it has even been discussed if boys should get their drivers license later than women (18 years), because they still act much on impulses in the traffic at 18, not thinking about consequences and potentially causing death or serious injuries by speeding. So it really takes a lot of years for boys to develop that part of the brain. Of course there is difference between men, but in general, it´s biological.

Last edited:

skateblessing

Can we please refrain from IDing the victim by age or other determining attributes?
It´s not like we are naming the victim with discussing the age difference. For instance, i´m not aware of the ages of the different junior male skaters in the team.

I don´t see how that is so bad compared to Haein who basically has outed who it is with her interview and IG-post. Anyone close or who who are engaged in her life know who is it because of the mention of relationship.

On My Own

Age does matter as a teenager. During puberty you develop the part of the brain (frontal) that makes you think consequences, reflecting upon choices etc. Before that you act more on impulses and fun, not thinking about consequences, and as the hormones start acting you add it up with a lot more of emotions running in your body. It´s a biological fact and has nothing to do with the culture in your country. The brain of a 13 year old boy that just started puberty is not evolved like a 17 year old female, and boys develope slower than women. And a 17 year female should know that and be aware of it, and not potentially exploit someone that is acting more on impulses. You can compare it to when you drink alcohol, you act more on impulses and don´t think consequences or reflect - that is basically how developed a 13 year old boy brain is. A mature sober human being would be aware when someone is affected by alcohol/drunk and advise them and take care of them, so they are not doing something stupid they would regret when they are sober again. The same kind of act and consideration should we have when it comes to teenager who brains are not fully developed.
I'm not really interested in this discussion about biology, my point is what we consider normal might not be the case elsewhere.

And, reading again, in fact we don't know the victim's age, so I echo @PRlady's words. Let's stop.

skateblessing

I'm not really interested in this discussion about biology, my point is what we consider normal might not be the case elsewhere.

And, reading again, in fact we don't know the victim's age, so I echo @PRlady's words. Let's stop.
Uhm, it matters in legal cases, which I thought is the case here. There is a reason for legal age and age of consent, and biological plays a big part.

airgelaal

Age does matter as a teenager. During puberty you evolve the part of the brain (frontal) that makes you think consequences, reflecting upon choices etc. Before that you act more on impulses and fun, not thinking about consequences, and as the hormones start acting you add it up with a lot more of emotions running in your body. It´s a biological fact and has nothing to do with the culture in your country. The brain of a 13 year old boy that just started puberty is not evolved like a 17 year old female, and boys evolve slower than women. And a 17 year female should know that and be aware of it, and not potentially exploit someone that is acting more on impulses. You can compare it to when you drink alcohol, you act more on impulses and don´t think consequences or reflect - that is basically how evolved a 13 year old boy brain is. A mature sober human being would be aware when someone is affected by alcohol/drunk and advise them and take care of them, so they are not doing something stupid they would regret when they are sober again. The same kind of act and consideration should we have when it comes to teenager who brains are not fully evolved, even if they verbally say something else.

In my country it has even been discussed if boys should get their drivers license later then women (18) because they still act much on impulses and fun in the traffic, not thinking about consequences and potentially causing death or serious injuries. So it takes really years for boys to develop that part of the brain.
I don’t remember knowing about this at the age of 17.
At our school, children of the same age study in the same class. But sometimes the child is sent to school a year earlier, and sometimes a year later. But! I always considered my classmates to be the same age as me, even if I knew their real age. It would never have occurred to me to treat someone differently because of an age difference. Now that I’m an adult, I consider a lot of things from my school years controversial, but back then I was just living the normal life of a teenager. And even on the day I received my passport, little changed for me. Moreover, some of my peers got married right away, while others continued to play with dolls. That's why I don't know how to deal with teenage relationships.

On My Own

I'm reading online communities on SM and apparently in Korea the underage drinking was seen as "worse" than the SA?
It depends on the "online community" in question, but there are a lot of trolls on Korean social media. I wouldn't take the words (or their translations online) as meaning anything.

EdgyIceMarks

YTN channel interview, contains a lawyer's (not the legal counsel of any of the skaters) analysis of the situation
https://www.ytn.co.kr/_ln/0103_202406271445489826

Hankook Ilbo article with more details about drinking, article states that according to KSU, Athlete C (labelled B here) was present where Lee and Athlete B were drinking, according to KSU
https://www.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2024062709310005401?did=NA

Channel A news, Athlete C (labelled A here) has no plans of commenting at this time
https://www.ichannela.com/news/main/news_detailPage.do?publishId=000000417827

YNA article, Athlete B (labelled A here) claims they did not show photos of Lee to Athlete C (labelled B here)
https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20240627175900007

I'm reading online communities on SM and apparently in Korea the underage drinking was seen as "worse" than the SA?
Has it been reported that any underage athlete was actively involved in drinking (as opposed to, say, simply being present in the scene)? Note that neither Lee nor Athlete B was a minor when the misconduct occured, while Athlete C was and still is.

canbelto

It depends on the "online community" in question, but there are a lot of trolls on Korean social media. I wouldn't take the words (or their translations online) as meaning anything.
Just that in Korea, SA between partners is seen as a private matter but underage drinking in teen girls is seen as a huge taboo.

On My Own

Just that in Korea, SA between partners is seen as a private matter but underage drinking in teen girls is seen as a huge taboo.
Well, neither girl was underage, and I have huge doubts the first is at all true for a generalization. So I'll reiterate - trolls on Korean sns. Well known. Ignore.

airgelaal

She gave him a hickey, and he is getting psychological counseling. This, in a nutshell, shows why "sexual harassment" perfectly describes what she did, and why consent should not be a defense.
Maybe I got lost in translation, but it seemed to me that his psychological trauma was due to the public scandal and understanding of the seriousness of the situation for everyone, and not because of the kiss on the neck.

On My Own

We need a translation of it from a native speaker. I haven't seen one yet. If an FSUer doesn't post one, I'll fish for one on reddit/twitter.

Karen-W

Maybe I got lost in translation, but it seemed to me that his psychological trauma was due to the public scandal and understanding of the seriousness of the situation for everyone, and not because of the kiss on the neck.
I don't know that we can make that assumption. There is, clearly, a lot more to this story than we know. Haein herself admitted that her parents made her break up with him in the past. What were the reasons for her parents objecting to the relationship? Were his parents also aware of and protesting the relationship? Haein is trying to shape the narrative and public perception of what happened and we need to be aware of that as well as any other information that is out there about the young man and, especially, his psychological condition.

On My Own

Her lawyer or her agent or her parents or SOMEONE needs to step in and shut this down. All she's doing is making things worse, for herself and everyone involved.
Especially because this comment from a redditor on that post:

If you take a close look on the name of the last slide, there are two "top characters". Out of the 3 boys, only one of them has a last syllable with two top characters...
this is assuming it's in korean of course

Indicates that she's given his identity away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information