Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

peibeck

Simply looking
Feel a bit bad for Muchova, her play is so beautiful to watch, but glad she's making a comeback after her wrist surgery. Still good for Pegula to not give up after being spanked that first set and down a break in the second.

Gotta give the edge to my snarky Sabalenka in the final though.

vgerdes

Rafael Nadal has announced his retirement from tennis; sad but not unexpected :(

I knew it was coming after he dropped out of the U.S. Open, honestly. Too many injuries the last couple of years. He's been sidelined more often than he's played. But I'm still sad to see it. One of my favorite players to ever grace a tennis court. (Andre Agassi will always be my No. 1, but Rafa is right behind him.)

sk9tingfan

I knew it was coming after he dropped out of the U.S. Open, honestly. Too many injuries the last couple of years. He's been sidelined more often than he's played. But I'm still sad to see it. One of my favorite players to ever grace a tennis court. (Andre Agassi will always be my No. 1, but Rafa is right behind him.)
I always liked Agassi but loved Pete Sampras.

Fiero425

Opposite here. I plastered my wall with Agassi posters as a teenager. Adored him, and still do. I enjoyed watching Pete play, but when they were playing each other I was firmly on Andre's side. It was a fun rivalry, much like Rafa and Fed.

I'm older so Borg was the KING & his poster was up on my wall back in '75! Years later Edberg was added! Gorgeous! :love: 🥳

Fiero425

I always enjoyed the Andre and Pete rivalry. I preferred Sampras more as an athlete, but loved Andre's personality on and off court. My late 90s "tennis husband" was Alex Correjta though. :swoon:

They called it a rivalry, just like Fedal, but it really wasn't! It was a promotional thing IMO as Sampras dominated from early on at the 1990 USO; esp. in major Finals! It was the same w/ Federer! As good as he was, Nadal owned him very early on at 17! HC & grass couldn't save Fed at times! Roger changed rackets & got a bit of a reprieve while Novak was injured in 2017 taking 3 more majors & winning 5 or 6 H2H matches w/ Rafa B4 finally retiring a lit'l late in 2021! :rolleyes: :cautious::40beers:🥳 :p

sk9tingfan

Although I was not able to catch the match, Coco Gauff really gave Sabalenka a run for her money. Sabalenka told Gauff afterwards,"I feel you".

vgerdes

They called it a rivalry, just like Fedal, but it really wasn't!

Agree to disagree here. There were times that Andre really had Pete's number. (For instance, he beat Pete at the Australian Open twice.) But Andre obviously wasn't exactly what you would call dedicated to the sport for much of his career (of course, we now know it's because he had a love-hate relationship with tennis that teetered toward hate/rebelliousness more often than not). When they were both at their peak it was a beautiful thing to see them go toe to toe. I remember staying up pretty much all night long to watch them play the Australian Open semifinal in 2000. Now THAT was a match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information