Question about mail service in Germany

sk8pics

I mailed a large envelope from the US (Priority International Mail) and so I have tracking info. The package is going to an address in Berlin.

I see from the tracking info a notation that delivery was attempted and the item is being held, addressee being notified. Then the last update says “Collect for pickup.”

The person it is addressed to (as a c/o someone else) had to take an unexpected trip and won’t be back for around 10 days.

Does anyone know how long they will hold it at the post office? Or is there an email address that I can give to the person so that he can let them know to hold it until he returns?

The person is not a German native, I don’t think, and I’m not sure he knows if there’s a way to make sure it gets held for him…

Thanks in advance!

Hedwig

Antique member
10 days is really long. Normally it is about 7 days. Do you have the adress of the post office where it is held?

If you want, sent me a Pm and I can try to call them.

sk8pics

Thanks @Miezekatze and @Hedwig. I’m practically hyperventilating now, LOL.

@Hedwig I don’t have the address of the post office. But I do have the US tracking number. Do you think that would help if I sent it to you? I can also send you the street address that it is going to.

I was hoping they might keep international mail longer…

Actually, a former coworker just told me they may keep it for 15 days, which should be just long enough…

Hedwig

Antique member
You can send it to me and I can try to find out if I find a telephone number.
Best send me name on the letter as well

sk8pics

Bumping this up because my package has still not made it back to me. The last reference in the German tracking system on the "Deutsche Post and DHL tracking" page, it shows on the 10th of July as "The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center." And there's been no update since, and no update in the US tracking system after it entered Germany on its fruitless quest to be delivered.

Is there some way to check with the German post office or DHL as to whether it actually left the country?

What a disaster this has been. I still don't know why they couldn't deliver it to begin with...

Judy

Bumping this up because my package has still not made it back to me. The last reference in the German tracking system on the "Deutsche Post and DHL tracking" page, it shows on the 10th of July as "The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center." And there's been no update since, and no update in the US tracking system after it entered Germany on its fruitless quest to be delivered.

Is there some way to check with the German post office or DHL as to whether it actually left the country?

What a disaster this has been. I still don't know why they couldn't deliver it to begin with...
My (Canadian) experience when this happened was potentially lost in delivery area but could def show up. I always contacted my courier company and had them put a trace on it. I believe they can make contact with the arrival area etc. that was always m experience anyways.

sk8pics

My (Canadian) experience when this happened was potentially lost in delivery area but could def show up. I always contacted my courier company and had them put a trace on it. I believe they can make contact with the arrival area etc. that was always m experience anyways.
I don't know which post office you're talking about here. The US one or the German one? I have no way to contact the German one, that's really what I'm asking for, a link to an inquiry.

Judy

I don't know which post office you're talking about here. The US one or the German one? I have no way to contact the German one, that's really what I'm asking for, a link to an inquiry.
It sounds like it switched over from your priority international mail then to dhl (not unusual). Do you have a tracking number from dhl? If not contact your priority international mail within the u.s. as they should have a record of the dhl tracking. Hopefully anyways.

sk8pics

It sounds like it switched over from your priority international mail then to dhl (not unusual). Do you have a tracking number from dhl? If not contact your priority international mail within the u.s. as they should have a record of the dhl tracking. Hopefully anyways.
No, as I said, it is listed under the US tracking number in DHL, but there has not been an update in the DHL/Deutsche Post site since July 10. No update in the US tracking system since something like June 15.

Judy

No, as I said, it is listed under the US tracking number in DHL, but there has not been an update in the DHL/Deutsche Post site since July 10. No update in the US tracking system since something like June 15.
You sent it by DHL courier? You’re mildly confusing me - no offense. If you sent it by DHL you need to start B contacting them by their phone number.

sk8pics

You sent it by DHL courier? You’re mildly confusing me - no offense. If you sent it by DHL you need to start B contacting them by their phone number.
OMG, no. I sent it by USPS. When it got to Germany it shows up as a DHL package.

Judy

OMG, no. I sent it by USPS. When it got to Germany it shows up as a DHL package.
Well that is WHAT I was trying to say before. Do you have a tracking number for the DHL package. If so you need to call DHL with the tracking number because they have more info at their end. I’m not sure how many times I’ve said that 🤷‍♀️

sk8pics

Well that is WHAT I was trying to say before. Do you have a tracking number for the DHL package. If so you need to call DHL with the tracking number because they have more info at their end. I’m not sure how many times I’ve said that 🤷‍♀️
NO. DHL is using the U.S. tracking number. I said that before too.

I’m looking for an on line inquiry form for DHL/Deutsche Post. Not going to try to call them in Germany.

Miezekatze

Or maybe try this too:
I'd probably try both :shuffle: , even if the second form is probably more for the case when you are waiting for an international package and it's lost, but I still think it's the closest use case to your problem
(you have to click on "Englische Version" first, somehow the stupid page didn't allow me to direct link to it)

sk8pics

Or maybe try this too:
I'd probably try both :shuffle: , even if the second form is probably more for the case when you are waiting for an international package and it's lost, but I still think it's the closest use case to your problem
(you have to click on "Englische Version" first, somehow the stupid page didn't allow me to direct link to it)
Thanks. I did get a link from a German friend and noticed a lot of the pages had an English version but not the form that I was trying to fill out. I haven’t looked to compare your link with the one my other friend sent me.

I ended up filing an inquiry from the US side and they will contact DHL. I did see on the DHL site that they say their tracking info only lasts while the item is in the country, so that’s probably why there’s no more updates there. I suspect it’s in NYC and got hung up. That happened to me with my Irish passport, which got stuck for about 2 1/2 weeks before magically appearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information