The Dance Hall 12: Boston Tea Dance Party

Karen-W

Kaitlin has been in Italy with her BF the past few weeks per her IG. I don't think she and Jean-Luc have been in Montreal at the same time much this summer. Doesn't mean they can't or won't skate together in shows in the future - they've had a couple of appearances in the past few months IIRC - but I think it's fairly certain they won't be competing this season.

emilieh

Kaitlin has been in Italy with her BF the past few weeks per her IG. I don't think she and Jean-Luc have been in Montreal at the same time much this summer. Doesn't mean they can't or won't skate together in shows in the future - they've had a couple of appearances in the past few months IIRC - but I think it's fairly certain they won't be competing this season.

Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are scheduled to appear in Sun Valley next month.

Karen-W

It looks like Zanni and Margaglio dancers got together for a summer camp. Are they finally getting into formation for :bloc:. ;)
Margaglio's camp has trained with the SK group in Madrid also. It doesn't mean much since none of those camps have a team in the top 7 internationally.

lauravvv

Margaglio's camp has trained with the SK group in Madrid also. It doesn't mean much since none of those camps have a team in the top 7 internationally.
You probably meant HK or SH. Also, don't say that Zanni's and Margaglio's schools joining forces wouldn't mean much. We can't really know that. Dubreaul/Lauzon didn't have a team in top 7 internationally in the beginning either.

Also, even though Turkkila/Versluis from Margaglio's camp seem to have reached an impasse and have even been facing some setbacks and Orihara/Pirinen despite their continuous progress don't seem like a team that is going to the top, the Mrazeks from Zanni's camp, on the other hand, are quite likely to become one of the top teams sooner or later (I am not writing the Taschlers off completely either, but they are less likely to do that). And both the Mrazeks and the Taschlers could benefit from Margaglio's packaging skills.

Karen-W

You probably meant HK or SH. Also, don't say that Zanni's and Margaglio's schools joining forces wouldn't mean much. We can't really know that. Dubreaul/Lauzon didn't have a team in top 7 internationally in the beginning either.
No, I meant SK - as in Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin - their joint ice dance school in Madrid is SK Ice Dance.

I don't think that it means much that Zanni & Margaglio's teams are working together in a summer camp. That happens with a lot of training groups, especially in Europe. It also happens with a lot of pairs groups. Ultimately, I think all these camps are trying to improve all of their skaters and we'll just have to wait and see how things shake out in the coming seasons.

Last edited:

Dobre

The Taschlers finished 5 spots last year above where the Mrazceks finished this year. I'd say it's much too early to make assumptions there.

Unlike I would usually do, I'll hypothesize there's a very good chance at least 4 teams in the top 8 get out after this coming Olympics. (Decent odds for F-B&S also). That top 7 is likely to change dramatically. (Maybe Reed & Ambrulevicius will stay in as they got a late start together. At least an extra Worlds would be nice).

We've been sadly short on dancers training in Europe outside of Russia recently. It's nice to hear about the coaches getting their athletes together. I wouldn't read anything into it unless there's further reason too.

Karen-W

New team alert!

First ice dance team ever representing Ecuador - entered in the senior competition for Lake Placid Int'l -

Gabriela PALOMEQUE / Tanner WHITE

Notably, in the Lake Placid ID Championships (the non-international competition for teams that either aren't on the USFS ISP or there wasn't space for them in the LPIDI) -

Mexico's new team of Harlow Lynella STANLEY / Seiji URANO

New team representing Romania - Emilia ZIOBROWSKA / Shiloh JUDD (formerly competed in Japan domestically)

Karen-W

Noticed on the Skate Ontario August competition entry list that Roberts/Alis ESP are listed as IAM-London. Weren't they in Vancouver with Wing/Lowe the past two seasons?

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
First big match-up on Junior Grand Prix in Riga will be GER #1 Grimm/Savitskiy v. ITA #1 Tali/Lafornara. Other contenders include Canada’s Gauthier/Thieren, who are aging back into the JGP due to the new age rules, USA’s the Mullens, and France’s Bernard/Bonetto.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Look, I'm happy to eat my words if they actually pull it off, but if G&P couldn't win in Montreal, they ain't doing it. Especially with a MUCH better, younger team getting reallll close to their heels.

(Unless Zach retires and takes up piano full time - which, why not at this point?)

Dobre

I'm going with their odds are better than everyone except two other teams: the one with two world titles and the one that will be skating at home.

A pair of great programs will take you a long way, when you're as close as these teams have been over the last couple years.

(Note: Not saying no one else could get there. Only saying those three teams have the experience of knowing what it is like to compete under the pressure of medal expectations, which comes in handy at the BIG event).

----

Oh, are we talking about Worlds rather than the Olympics? At Worlds, methinks Chock & Bates would have to muck up. Or design another FD like they did last year that didn't cover the ice well. (Did no one on their team ever watch that program from higher up in the arena? It did not use the ice remotely as well as they can use it. You can't do an excessive number of elements where you don't go anywhere. The RD fairly kept them on top, IMO).

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Oh, are we talking about Worlds rather than the Olympics? At Worlds, methinks Chock & Bates would have to muck up. Or design another FD like they did last year that didn't cover the ice well. (Did no one on their team ever watch that program from higher up in the arena? It did not use the ice remotely as well as they can use it. You can't do an excessive number of elements where you don't go anywhere. The RD fairly kept them on top, IMO).

I mean, clearly designing an FD that doesn't cover the ice well doesn't hurt them.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Looks like there is also a new senior team for the Netherlands, Isabel Dubbeld and Tyler ter Meulen.

Seems that she was previously a singles skater (didn’t compete internationally) and he has switched from roller sport.

Orm Irian

For those who've been following them over the past season, here's Suvino/Marr's new FD from the Novice competition at BC Summer Skate. They're coming on nicely from last season and you've gotta admit, Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag is a perfect music choice for them under the circumstances...

peibeck

Simply looking
I mean, clearly designing an FD that doesn't cover the ice well doesn't hurt them.

The Italians are the only top 5 team who really fully utilize the whole ice surface consistently, imo.

"Vincent" remains my fave G/P program, but even that program's last full minute only used a quarter of the ice surface around the center in a circular pattern.

C/B's "Time" program utilized a lot of circular and serpentine patterns and lobes, which doesn't lend itself well to full coverage, but their final step pattern was definitely from one end to the other.

Choreographers seem to be using less of the full surface to code-whore as many elements as possible in the zone of the judges stand.

Dobre

I think it's a hazard of using multiple stationary elements in a row. There are some nice stationary lifts, but if you're going to choose to use one, I'd rather it not be back to back with your spin or another lift that doesn't go anywhere. It can kill the momentum in a program. (Especially if you've got three elements like that in a row--maybe a choreographic thing too--at the end of a program). It's one of those issues that you sometimes can't see on TV so it's disappointing when you realize it about a program while watching live. I remember it bothered me about one of Wang & Liu's programs somewhere--maybe Anaheim 4CCs or it might have been at a Skate Canada?--and then with Chock & Bates at last year's Nationals. I didn't mention it then because I thought maybe the illness was affecting their ice coverage; but no, it was true at Worlds as well.

deegee

I think it's a hazard of using multiple stationary elements in a row. There are some nice stationary lifts, but if you're going to choose to use one, I'd rather it not be back to back with your spin or another lift that doesn't go anywhere. It can kill the momentum in a program. (Especially if you've got three elements like that in a row--maybe a choreographic thing too--at the end of a program). It's one of those issues that you sometimes can't see on TV so it's disappointing when you realize it about a program while watching live. I remember it bothered me about one of Wang & Liu's programs somewhere--maybe Anaheim 4CCs or it might have been at a Skate Canada?--and then with Chock & Bates at last year's Nationals. I didn't mention it then because I thought maybe the illness was affecting their ice coverage; but no, it was true at Worlds as well.
ice coverage doesn't seem to be a general strength of most of the current competing top dance teams, excepting gui/fab (though i haven't been able to watch very many dance events in the last 2 years since peacock started limiting availability of replays of events)

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think there are teams with good ice coverage, but they suffer in other areas (stability of edges in and out of turns for one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information