Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

caseyedwards

Gladstone and Murphy won making them the favorites for Oscar! Late momentum for stone may not mean the win for her

manhn

Watched Dumb Money, which follows a bunch of main players in the Game Stop stock story. I know nothing about stocks, so the first half I was completely confused. But I know enough about “whether to keep the stock or sell”, and I was completely stressed out (I of course heard of the story but had no clue how it resolved itself). I am glad I saw it. Paul Dano was especially good.

Jimena

I watched All of Us Strangers last night. What a lovely film. So moving. The four actors were great. Andrew Scott is such a fantastic actor. I'm sad he wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She very well might, but I noticed a big Twitter backlash after she had a lot of wins from people who thought Gladstone was getting shafted. Not that a Twitter backlash means anything. What'll matter is if the Oscar voters are feeling the same way.

Davy88gtbwxyc

"Villains" is pretty much about two not-so-smart robbers who stumble into a house owned by an even crazier couple. It's a mix of funny and creepy moments. The main duo, played by Bill Skarsgård and Maika Monroe, are surprisingly likable despite their criminal vibe. The homeowners they meet are next-level weird, adding to the film's odd charm. It's not your typical movie; it's got a unique twist that keeps it interesting. Good for a watch if you're into stuff that's a bit offbeat.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I watched All of Us Strangers last night. What a lovely film. So moving. The four actors were great. Andrew Scott is such a fantastic actor. I'm sad he wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

I can’t wait to watch it and I’m surprised it did not get much Oscar love

although, I do here as far as LGBT movies go I do hear it’s another depressing movie? I live for the days where there are happy LGBT movies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I find it shocking that Matt Bomer is not winning for fellow travelers, I’ve watched the series now five times, and I cry so much. His character has to play all sorts of ranges from horrible to loving. I haven’t seen beef …is that actor who keeps winning really really good?

Like I said, I’m not the biggest Bomer fan, but his performance in that is a case study in acting

manhn

Finished The Holdovers. A fine movie that is filmed nostalgically about nostalgia. It was fine but sooooooo long.

The most interesting scene was when the characters played a mixture of Canadian bowling (small bowling balls!) and US bowling (ten pins!). Is that a Northeastern thing? And if so, why didn’t we do this during Boston Worlds?

Jay42

Between the click of the light

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Here’s the full list of winners from the 2024 Screen Actors Guild awards.

I’m not convinced that Emma Stone won’t win the Best Actress Oscar.
I enjoy the irony of this battle for the Oscar between Gladstone and Stone in light of the themes of Stone's limited TV series that recently concluded, The Curse (which I loved, but it's not for everyone).

It's a real race in the Best Actress category, either winning would be OK with me. I think Greta Lee was robbed of a nomination, particularly in light of the stoic and subtle performance by Gladstone being well-praised, but it's also a bit sad and funny that Sandra Hüller leads two of the Best Picture nominations and isn't in the running. :lol:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I went and saw the Bob Marley movie the other day. It was good, not great. It didn't really capture his charisma and energy very well, and the Jamaican accent of the lead actor was so strong, I could have used subtitles (but there weren't any of course). I learned some things about him that I didn't know. The actual musical parts were the best parts of the movie. I find that the more I like the subject of a biopic, the more disappointed I tend to be with the film. Lord help me if they ever do a biopic of David Bowie.

ilovepaydays

I watched Dune: Part Two tonight. Because it’s still in it’s opening weekend, I’ll put my review in spoiler.

Overall, I would give this movie a 9.3/10. I thought it was excellently done, especially given that it’s a sequel and sequels typically end up being BLAH.

I watched it in Regular Digital. I thought that the visuals were superb and I think it would have looked fantastic in IMAX. I could barely tell that they used CGI. The movie is rated PG-13 and I think a child past about the age of 10 can watch it if they handle a certain level of violence or killing.

Austin Butler did a perfect job of playing the sociopath Feyd-Rautha and I thought that Christopher Walken was great as the Emperor. The chemistry between Paul (Chalamet) and Chani (Zendaya) was a bit better than I thought it would be.

Two nickpicks: 1) Paul’s acrobatics in the final fight with Feyd-Rautha were a tad much, and 2) So - the Emperor and the Harkonnen troops, with all that supposed talent and technology, would have been that clueless about the sandworms and how to deal with them? The final battle ended up looking too easy for the Fremen to win, anyway.

It is a sequel that you do need to have seen the first movie to completely “get”. With the final scene, they did leave you thinking that a third movie is coming. But you are left wondering to who and where Chani is going with the sandworm - all the Fremen are still with Paul, right? 🤔

Last edited:

Davy88gtbwxyc

"The Lost King" is this cool movie with Sally Hawkins playing Philippa Langley. So, she's this determined woman on a mission, trying to clear King Richard III's name by digging up where he's buried. You've got Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope, and Stephen Frears pulling the strings in the background, making it all come together. It's a mix of funny and touching, watching Philippa navigate through bureaucracy and skeptics. The film gives you a good dose of history and humor, and you end up cheering for Philippa's determination and charm. Definitely worth a watch!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
"The Lost King" is this cool movie with Sally Hawkins playing Philippa Langley. So, she's this determined woman on a mission, trying to clear King Richard III's name by digging up where he's buried. You've got Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope, and Stephen Frears pulling the strings in the background, making it all come together. It's a mix of funny and touching, watching Philippa navigate through bureaucracy and skeptics. The film gives you a good dose of history and humor, and you end up cheering for Philippa's determination and charm. Definitely worth a watch!
Oh, I remember thinking that sounded good. Thanks for the reminder to look for it!

vgerdes

Dune: Part 2 was worth the wait. Epic sci-fi spectacle, but with some strong acting behind it. For me, this was Chalamet's best performance to date, by far (he was good in Wonka, but there's really no comparison). He was magnetic. And Austin Butler.... damn. He does evil extremely well. The ending was... somewhat surprising. I won't spoil it here. It definitely sets up a Part 3, or more correctly, "Dune: Messiah."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information