Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
So having been bored watching the first Dune and probably remembering scant detail about it, is it worth seeing the second one?

Jimena

Dune is a lot more action packed. The first one was a set up, for the most part.

I don't think you need to remember a lot of Dune 1 in order to enjoy it.

vgerdes

Dune is a lot more action packed. The first one was a set up, for the most part.

I don't think you need to remember a lot of Dune 1 in order to enjoy it.
Part Two is definitely more action packed. Seeing Part 1 helps to provide some context for certain events, but it's not really necessary to grasp what's happening.

watchthis!!

The Covenant is such a good movie and a fine example of movies about male friendship. The movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal as a sargeant in the US Army and Dar Salim as his his Afghan interpreter. I had seen Salim recently in season two of the Swedish/Danish TV series The Bridge. So it was nice to see him in a main role of a big movie. He is very talented and holds his own opposite Gyllenhaal. Salim's character saves Gyllenhaal after he is injured, basically carrying him for days to get him to safety. An unconscious Gyllenhaal is flown back to the U.S. and upon discovering that Salim's character has been left back in Afghanistan with a bounty on his head, makes it his mission to go back and bring Salim and his family to America (as he had been promised). This movie has great action, great acting and some moments that require a Kleenex (or two) on hand. Strongly recommended.

manhn

I found the first Dune a snooze fest.

Watched American Fiction. So good with parts I love. Jeffrey Wright is my favourite Best Actor this year (also, really hot?). And I loved the actress who plays Lorraine. The debate between Wright and Issa Rae is one I can rewatch over and over.

manhn

Watched What Happens Later, starring Meg Ryan (who also directed it) and David Duchovny (who looks great). 83% of it was god-awful and the other 17% was pretty good. The first half was entirely awful, then it got good, then it sucked garbage again, and the last 10 minutes was good. It is to the testament to the two actors’ talent, charisma and goodwill that I waded through for a few occasional nuggets of quality.

annie720

I watched Society of the Snow tonight, Spain's Oscar entry for Best International Feature Film. It tells the story of the Uruguayan rugby team's plane crash in the Andes in 1972 and its members' struggle to survive. A familiar story to many, but very well done.

Last edited:

Davy88gtbwxyc

In Brightburn, the classic alien-kid-on-Earth tale takes a dark detour. No hero in this story – the little extraterrestrial is cooking up some seriously sinister schemes.

Without spilling the beans, Brightburn isn't your run-of-the-mill feel-good flick. With unexpected twists and a gripping dark atmosphere, it's not your typical alien adventure. If you're up for an unconventional ride, this one's worth a watch.

manhn

I watched Bottoms, an uproarious teen comedy about two young lesbians who start a fight club in high school to pick up chicks. So so so funny. My favourite teen comedy in ages.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I watched Society of the Snow tonight, Spain's Oscar entry for Best International Feature Film. It tells the story of the Uruguayan rugby team's plane crash in the Andes in 1972 and its members' struggle to survive. A familiar story to many, but very well done.
There was that film Alive that was made a few years ago about the same subject. Then I remember The Simpsons also did something in an episode.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I watched Bottoms, an uproarious teen comedy about two young lesbians who start a fight club in high school to pick up chicken. So so so funny. My favourite teen comedy in ages.
Mine too. I have a friend who loved it so much she's seen it 9 times since September. I have not, but I do think I should watch it again. I know there's details I missed and I would like to pick them out.

Icetalavista

I went and saw the Bob Marley movie the other day. It was good, not great. It didn't really capture his charisma and energy very well, and the Jamaican accent of the lead actor was so strong, I could have used subtitles (but there weren't any of course). I learned some things about him that I didn't know. The actual musical parts were the best parts of the movie. I find that the more I like the subject of a biopic, the more disappointed I tend to be with the film. Lord help me if they ever do a biopic of David Bowie.
They needed more scenes about his impact on people and on Jamaican politics, and less running and soccer playing. I understood maybe half, at best, of the dialogue given the accents. It is funny that Kingsley Ben-Adir’s other recent role was as a Ken in Barbie!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I just finished Barbie, and wow, I was blown away. It made me cry. I honestly didn't expect the depth that the movie had. I loved it, and when you really look at it, if it bashes anything, it bashes toxic masculinity. Sorry. I just don't have words.

I had the opposite impressions. I was looking forward to seeing it, and I did not care for it, I thought it was more rated R in some cases and why did they make Ken evil? I don’t know…. I thought this movie was a hot mess. I understand the messages they wanted to send, I truly do but I think this movie failed in so many other areas. I wanted to like it as I was a gay boy that did play with Barbies but oh my gosh.

I will absolutely say Margot Robbie deserves an Oscar nomination for her acting here. And I don’t think the material for Ken was Óscar worthy material and I love Ryan gosling.

Davy88gtbwxyc

So, I watched "Searching" recently. It's this thriller starring John Cho that's really intriguing. The premise is pretty gripping - Cho plays a dad on a mission to find his missing daughter. When the cops hit a wall in their investigation, he decides to dig into her laptop for clues. It's all about how much of our lives are just out there online these days.

The poster really captures Cho's intensity. His expression just screams desperation, which fits perfectly with the story. And that tagline, "No one is lost without a trace," really makes you think about our digital footprint.

I'm really intrigued by the whole idea of using technology as a storytelling tool. We're so plugged into our devices all the time, it's kind of scary to think about what could be lurking in our digital lives.

Overall, "Searching" was a real nail-biter. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

peibeck

Simply looking
Watched "Damsel" on Netflix today, and ugh... Millie Bobbie Brown, Angela Bassett, Robin Wright... what a talented cast wasted on a poorly written tale. Even the CGI dragon was subpar. Really disappointed.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Watched "Damsel" on Netflix today, and ugh... Millie Bobbie Brown, Angela Bassett, Robin Wright... what a talented cast wasted on a poorly written tale. Even the CGI dragon was subpar. Really disappointed.
I thought the trailer looked pretty bad.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I’m looking at Oscar contenders for next year and what stands out for me is the movie queer with Daniel Craig. Takes place in Mexico City in the 40s and filmed in Italy. Daniel Craig falls for a younger man. Supposed to be good.

Oscar contender/predictions in the categories for next year.

And this one

Yehudi

AITA
My March Movies:
Dune 2 - more action packed than pt 1 and visually stunning. Fine with the changes as it made more sense for pt 3
than Irulan feeding Chani contraceptives and Paul knowing and being fine with it and Irulan suddenly having a change of heart.

Problemista - If you’ve never had to: apply for a job via Craigslist, work for an eccentric boss, need to know some obscure/outdated software in order to work for said boss, deal with any form of bureaucracy - then this film might not be for you. I did find the ending a little out there - even for a film as surreal as this, and some scenes did overstay their welcome, but overall, it’s my favorite film so far this year.

Love Lies Bleeding - A throwback to the 80’s southern noir movies. Kristen Stewart is as deadpanned as ever but Katy O’Brien was smoking hot and Anna Baryshnikov was an amazing antagonist.

Last edited:

skatfan

Yeah, a great premise without a good script and poor production values

sk8pics

There’s a documentary about William Shatner coming out this week, “You Can Call Me Bill.” They are having a sneak preview Wednesday night, and it’s at a theater near me. Thinking about going.

vgerdes

I’m looking at Oscar contenders for next year and what stands out for me is the movie queer with Daniel Craig. Takes place in Mexico City in the 40s and filmed in Italy. Daniel Craig falls for a younger man. Supposed to be good.

Oscar contender/predictions in the categories for next year.

And this one

I agree with some of the choices listed in those articles, but I don't think Dune 2 will be shut out in the acting/directing noms like Part 1 was. There were some very strong performances; standouts included Chalamet (his best to date, IMO), Butler, Ferguson and Bardem. I predict at least one of them will get a nomination.

Last edited:

sk8pics

Go and report back! Inquiring trekkie minds want to know.
I will! But probably not Wednesday night. We’ll see.

I enjoyed the documentary about his short trip to space. I think possibly he’s matured over the years. I also liked a memoir type book he wrote, or maybe I liked the ghostwriter but presumably Shatner had some input.

I loved his turn on Big Bang Theory. Thought he was hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information