Skate Canada 2023 Free Dance - There's a Rat in Me Kitchen, What Am I Gonna Do?

skatingguy

decently
That's what they might be saying, but still hahahaha no. Not criticizing you, @skatingguy - I know you're just passing along the explanation - but empowering women in sport is way more nuanced than letting a woman be Rocky. Women in sports are facing many barriers, including skating federations that won't do anything meaningful about abusive coaching and harmful norms of physical appearance.
But she's not playing Rocky. They are doing a boxing themed program to the music of Rocky, and Fear's character in the piece is an archetype of a strong athlete.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Re: Piper and Paul (whom I've liked from the start), many people around were negative about them, some for many seasons, in part due to people perceptions of Piper's level vs Paul as PRlady says (when it was always apparent she brought more than her share of the unique style and expression to the team), but also ye olde "I liked the previous partner and they done her wrong" narrative. I mean, that narrative has colored people's views of C/B for their entire careers. All I can say about that is Paul traded up, sorry.
Vanessa Crone was a lovely dancer and a competent skater but she was never going to be the same performer that Piper Gilles has turned out to be.
I was skeptical of Gilles as a partner for Poirier in the beginning but she improved dramatically in a very short amount of time. The hard work is so evident. They're a wonderful team and deserve every success they've had.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
But also Mark Hanretty said it’s about empowering women in sport?
I think it's because she's the boxer (and he's her trainer?), not the glamorous girlfriend in the front row of the match.

When Gilles/Poirier first competed against Paul/Islam, they weren't close to P/I in combined glide, edges, speed, and ice coverage. Hitchcock was great and was especially telegenic, but, live, it was static and relatively slow. P/I's qualities didn't translate to video as well, but they were more than apparent in the rink.

VGThuy

I think it's because she's the boxer (and he's her trainer?), not the glamorous girlfriend in the front row of the match.

When Gilles/Poirier first competed against Paul/Islam, they weren't close to P/I in combined glide, edges, speed, and ice coverage. Hitchcock was great and was especially telegenic, but, live, it was static and relatively slow. P/I's qualities didn't translate to video as well, but they were more than apparent in the rink.
I just rewatched their 2014 Canadians FDs on Youtube and thought that even though Gilles/Poirier had a more compelling program and were performers-in-the-making, Paul/Islam were clearly the superior skaters at that point in time and that their program showcased better bodylines, speed, and actual skating. Neither were anything to write home about regarding closed dance holds but the current era of "free dancing" has minimized the importance of that... that said, Paul/Islam utilized closed face-to-face holds more and were able to go in-and-out of them with much more ease.

Rewatching this also made it much clearer how far Piper and Paul have grown as ice dancers, and they are so many miles above where they were in 2014.

One more note, thank ice gods that ice dance teams don't really do that side-by-side hop to gain speed before entering or after exiting footwork sequences and other elements anymore. It seems ice dance coaching has taught better technique for having ice dancers gain speed more naturally with the blade and less with jumps/hops these days. I remember one thing that Papadakiz/Cizeron did that amazed people were their ability to just garner speed like nothing and didn't hop or jump on the ice to try to move forward to enter an element after exiting an element because of the slowdown that nearly stalled the ice dancers (as P/C had little slow down after elements).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
on Youtube and thought that even though Gilles/Poirier had a more compelling program and were performers-in-the-making
They certainly were that, but, live, their program was less compelling because of their skating.

There are a lot of lower-level teams with interesting programs that are fun to watch on video, but less compelling live because they don't have the skills. G/P have the skills now, though.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Vanessa Crone was a lovely dancer and a competent skater but she was never going to be the same performer that Piper Gilles has turned out to be.
I wish we would've gotten the chance to see how Crone performed as she matured. Too bad the Crone/Hubbell pairing didn't pan out as that could've been really interesting.

I was skeptical of Gilles as a partner for Poirier in the beginning but she improved dramatically in a very short amount of time. The hard work is so evident. They're a wonderful team and deserve every success they've had.
Gilles/Poirier have certainly come a long way together. One thing I really appreciate is how well they combine a unique concept with complex choreography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information