*Update* World Junior Figure Skating Championships now assigned to Tallinn

sk9tingfan

Per the latest ISU press release, there is a big possibility that Senior Worlds may be postponed until May. I cannot even imagine what this will do in terms of retirements as well as the possible absence of certain skaters who are already committed to tours such as Stars on Ice.

Per the latest ISU press release, there is a big possibility that Senior Worlds may be postponed until May. I cannot even imagine what this will do in terms of retirements as well as the possible absence of certain skaters who are already committed to tours such as Stars on Ice.

@miffy, @MacMadame @skateboy please disregard my post. I misread the Press Release. Senior Worlds are not part and parcel of this communication. Please note that I was broadsided by a school bus this week and am not firing on all cylinders.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
@miffy, @MacMadame @skateboy please disregard my post. I misread the Press Release. Senior Worlds are not part and parcel of this communication. Please note that I was broadsided by a school bus this week and am not firing on all cylinders.
That’s very kind of you to tag us all and reassure us. I am so sorry to hear of your awful news and I hope you will be ok. Look after yourself!

sk9tingfan

Oh no! Are you ok? I hope you have seen a doctor.
My car was still drive-able, so I immediately drove to urgent care. The problem was I could not get of my driver's side door, so I had to climb over the center console. At my age, that is not fn. And it took about a week for the school bus driver's insurance to get me in for an assessment. I then took me another couple of days to get permission to get into a rental car. So more fun in terms of center console climbing.

Because of the crud, everything is backed up including getting your car fixed due to decreased staffing and part availability (supply chain issues). The autobody shop won't begin to fully assess and fix car until mid-March.

sk9tingfan

I hope you are okay!
Thanks. I have the expected neck and back pain. the issue is that the aftereffects didn't kick in for about a week and they are worse when there are sharp shifts in the barometer. Will see my PCP about some muscle relaxants and some PT to break up the muscle spasms.

mtnskater

ISU needs to hold this event! I guess this means no chance of rescheduling the JGPF either 😵

barbk

I'd like to see them hold it virtually if they can't do so in person. Not ideal, but better than not holding it at all...again.

Stephanie

Update from https://beta.matchtv.ru/figure-skat...Bolgarii_Turnir_mozhet_sostojatsa_ranshe_maja (posted by @AnythingGOE on Twitter)

Based on my Google translate:
-The event (assuming it happens) will be moved from Bulgaria
-Several countries have offered to host, Russia is not one of them
-The deadline for applications to host is February 23rd and the decision will be made by the ISU council on the 24th
-Assuming another country is selected to host, the event will likely take place in April, not in May as originally suggested, as many coaches and athletes expressed their opposition to holding the event so late

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I was so looking forward to attending Junior Worlds in person. This is a real bummer.

That said, I was kind of expecting it. People who say "why make a big deal out of the pandemic, just live with it" may not realise Bulgaria is at ~30% vaccination rate and less than 10% of the population have their boosters. Also many people just don't get tested and continue to go out and go to work/social gatherings even while sick, either believing they don't have covid or not caring if they infect others. So we are indeed "living with it" as if it doesn't matter; however, I don't think this is a good situation to drag ~100 teenagers from all over the world, plus their coaches and national delegations, into. If Junior Worlds were to proceed as planned, I guarantee a large percentage of the attending athletes and support staff would have been exposed to the virus.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Update from https://beta.matchtv.ru/figure-skat...Bolgarii_Turnir_mozhet_sostojatsa_ranshe_maja (posted by @AnythingGOE on Twitter)

Based on my Google translate:
-The event (assuming it happens) will be moved from Bulgaria
-Several countries have offered to host, Russia is not one of them
-The deadline for applications to host is February 23rd and the decision will be made by the ISU council on the 24th
-Assuming another country is selected to host, the event will likely take place in April, not in May as originally suggested, as many coaches and athletes expressed their opposition to holding the event so late
Excellent news for these junior skaters on all fronts! April is so much better than May - they need to get moving on programs and training for next season. Awesome, also, that several countries have offered to host and that there will be an answer before the end of the week.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Relevant excerpt from ISU Communication No. 2460 - Decisions of the Council document (Feb. 24, 2022):

As previously announced, several Season 2021/22 ISU Championships are currently under review due to the Covid-19 regulations and restrictions applicable in the allotted host countries, namely the ISU World Short Track Speed Skating Championships 2022, the ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2022, and the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022. Due to the new situation in Ukraine, which may have an impact on the holding of Championships and the travel of teams to attend Championships, the Council needs a few more days to assess the situation before taking a final decision. These decisions will be communicated as soon as possible, ideally during the coming week.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Also relevant from ISU Communication No. 2460 “Decisions of the Council” document:

Junior Grand Prix Season 2022/23

The Croatian Skating Federation has indicated that due to logistical reasons it is no longer able to host the Junior Grand Prix event (including Pair Skating) on September 28 - October 1, 2022 in Zagreb. The Council therefore invites ISU Members to submit applications by March 25, 2022 for the above-mentioned Event.

ETA from ISU Communication no. 2431 (Oct. 4, 2021):

5. ISU Junior Grand Prix Season 2022/23
The Council approved the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar for the season 2022/23 as follows:
#1 - August 24-27, 2022 Courchevel / FRA
#2 - August 31-September 3, 2022 Ostrava / CZE (including Pair Skating)
#3 - September 7-10, 2022 Riga / LAT (including Pair Skating)
#4 - September 21-24, 2022 Yerevan / ARM
#5 - September 28 - October 1, 2022 Zagreb / CRO (including Pair Skating)
#6 - October 5-8, 2022 Gdansk / POL (including Pair Skating)
#7 - October 12-15, 2022 Egna-Neumarkt / ITA

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I'd like to see the US step up and hold the JGP in a nice, small arena.
So the ISU TV crew, incl Ted Barton, pulls up stakes from Europe just for one week, then returns to Europe the following week? Hard to believe. How about a city in Hungary? 🇭🇺

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So the ISU TV crew, incl Ted Barton, pulls up stakes from Europe just for one week, then returns to Europe the following week? Hard to believe. How about a city in Hungary? 🇭🇺
screw Ted - it's one week, lol. Though Budapest would also be a great option!

barbk

GP events move from continent to continent in a week's time. I'm sure the ISU can manage this for a JGP.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
screw Ted - it's one week, lol. Though Budapest would also be a great option!
ISU competitions have also taken place in Debrecen and Miskolc…closer to the size and budget of the JGP series locales.

Looking forward to 2024 Euros in Budapest!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information