British Skating News, 2022 and beyond

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
With such good results recently is it possible GBR may earn a spot in the team event at the next Olympics?
They would have to qualify skaters in two of men, women, and pairs, either via direct Worlds qualification in 2025 or via the additional quota at the designated fall 2025 international. Remember, they did qualify to the 2014 team event.

The mens field is stacked. The GBR pairs are still developing but they are in the weakest discipline at the moment. There's only one woman with the minimums AFAIK, but they can always develop in the next few years as well.

The points F/G are likely to earn in the next few years will probably put them in contention based on those points alone, but they still need to get two more disciplines competitive enough to earn Olympics spots.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's also going to depend on whether or not other countries are also capable of developing the depth in enough disciplines to qualify. There's a lot of space beyond USA, JPN, ITA (and RUS if they're back by then).

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Could this partnership forever be the one that got away

I’ve been saying it for a while now :lol: but everyone would miss Mark’s commentary on the ISU stream. A lot of people that know him for that don’t even realise what a lovely skater he is!

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Olivia looks like she's having a great time on DOI. :D

I don't think an Olivia/Mark partnership is the one that got away ;) - when they were both training in Sheffield Mark was a twenty-something Euros and Worlds competitor and Olivia was a tween - but both their competitive careers were unfulfilled potential for British ice dance, with his early-ish retirement and her switch to Spain.

The Mark/Piper Gilles partnership which never happened is a big what if for me. He's said he had the opportunity to try out with Piper after he split with Chrissy Chitwood and before she teamed up with Paul Poirier, but he was feeling burned out and done with competitive skating so it never went anywhere.

And a what if for Olivia - What is she and Joe Buckland had split six months later? Would she have tried out with Lewis Gibson?

Semi-relatedly, I know IAM usually go in house, but I would love to see Lilah and Lewis with some Chris Dean choreo.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
There are so many "ones that got way" for British ice dance since 2010 who have competed at Euros/Worlds for other countries:

Lloyd Jones
Tiffany Zahorski
Olivia Smart
Aurejlia Ippolito & Luke Russell could both be representing GB instead of Latvia, and they still live & train here.

Plus JLB - don't know if he ever really considered himself as British given he moved to the US when he was 4, but what an easier path to Worlds he could have had if he'd found a decent British partner. But I don't see any obvious overlooked potential partnerships from the list of skaters who switched.

And coming up in juniors there's Peter Beaumont who was winning medals in British novices & juniors in 2015/16...

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
There are so many "ones that got way" for British ice dance since 2010 who have competed at Euros/Worlds for other countries:

Lloyd Jones
Tiffany Zahorski
Olivia Smart
Aurejlia Ippolito & Luke Russell could both be representing GB instead of Latvia, and they still live & train here.

Plus JLB -
There's also Mina Zdravkova, who competed at Euros and Worlds for Bulgaria.

And this season alone, as well as Peter Beaumont, there's:
  • Eron Westwood - Australia, competing at 4CCs for Australia this week, train in London
  • Lucy Hancock - Hungary, should get to Euros next year now they have two spots
  • Aaron Freeman - Poland, have tech minimums so possible they could go a major event in future
  • Steven Adcock - South Korea (pairs), haven't competed internationally yet but look pretty decent
  • ETA: I forgot about Molly Lanaghan, who would have got to Euros and Worlds if they’d chosen to skate for GB rather than competing in the much deeper field in Canada.
I didn’t realise that there were so many I wonder if it is the same for other smaller feds or just GBR
In the modern skating world I think it's inevitable that, once they reach a certain level, dance and pairs skaters will consider international partnering options - there are so many factors that make a good partnership and 'they are also British' might be preferred but it's not enough. And there are international skaters who've competed for GB too - post 2010, Chris Boyadji is the obvious example, and Caitlin Yankowskas and Carter Jones went to Euros once each. But the balance is in the opposite direction.

It's difficult, because I think in individual cases BIS is right to grant releases (has any skater ever applied for release, been refused, and then stayed with their home fed and had a happy and successful career?) but over time it adds up to a lot of talent lost.

Last edited:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I think there's two other factors that drive the switches:

a)we just don't have the high level training facilities. So a lot of potential top level dancers are looking overseas anyway (I think Tiffany moved to France even when she was mainly doing solo dance because the facilities and coaching were better?). And this factor then drives part b) which is that it takes ages for non-Brits to gain citizenship, and it's virtually impossible to do if you are non-resident. So if a team is training outside the UK and wants to go to the Olympics, it generally makes more sense for the GB citizen to switch countries rather than the other way around.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I think there's two other factors that drive the switches:

a)we just don't have the high level training facilities. So a lot of potential top level dancers are looking overseas anyway (I think Tiffany moved to France even when she was mainly doing solo dance because the facilities and coaching were better?). And this factor then drives part b) which is that it takes ages for non-Brits to gain citizenship, and it's virtually impossible to do if you are non-resident. So if a team is training outside the UK and wants to go to the Olympics, it generally makes more sense for the GB citizen to switch countries rather than the other way around.

You are correct, Tiffany was still doing solo dance when we made the move to France.
It had become obvious to me that if she remained in the UK she would only ever be a solo dancer as there were no boys available.
I decided that even if she failed to find a partner, going on an adventure together in another country and learning French would be a great experience and an achievement in itself. 🤗

antmanb

There's also the weird politics that seem to play out in British skating. Despite having such a small pool of skaters TPTB clearly show favouritism to certain supposed "stars" (which is always a bit of joke when you consider how the stars actually do internationally) and trying to get that light to shine on others can be damn near impossible.

I haven't been to the British for several years, but the officials putting on their dog and pony show always gave me a laugh - the men all suited and booted and the women sometimes even in hats and fascinators :rofl: all because they have some power, in one of the smallest nichest sports.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I haven't been to the British for several years, but the officials putting on their dog and pony show always gave me a laugh - the men all suited and booted and the women sometimes even in hats and fascinators :rofl: all because they have some power, in one of the smallest nichest sports.
:rofl: I went to the British this season and the closest thing to a fascinator was a novice girl in a blingy cat ears headband.

But there was Robin Cousins, who appears to be dressing as a country squire nowadays.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Worlds team confirmed:

Kristen Spours
Reserve: Nina Povey

Graham Newberry

Anastasia Vaipan-Law / Luke Digby
Lydia Smart / Harry Mattick

Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson

No pigs have been spotted taking to the air in northern Italy, so BIS announced the team before the other senior dancers had their last chance to get tech minimums at the Egna Dance Trophy this weekend.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No pigs have been spotted taking to the air in northern Italy, so BIS announced the team before the other senior dancers had their last chance to get tech minimums at the Egna Dance Trophy this weekend.
I mean... what are the chances, really? ;)

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Results page for the March Qualifier. No pairs or dance. But there are 56 junior ladies :yikes:How many will attempt a triple? I'm guessing two.

Arabella Sear-Watkins is moving up to senior, which I wasn't expecting (I guess she could still skate junior internationally). Less surprisingly advanced novice champions Daria Dalgich and Lloyd Thomson are both moving up; presumably they'll be hoping to be in the mix for JGP spots next season.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Results page for the March Qualifier. No pairs or dance. But there are 56 junior ladies :yikes:How many will attempt a triple? I'm guessing two.
Checking out the Qualifier results post-Worlds - and it looks like I guessed right, even though Alexa Severn didn't compete. I'm curious about Alice Smith who appears to have come out of nowhere with four different triples to win junior ladies. I even looked up recent US and Canadian qualifying competitions to see if she could be a country-swap skater. :lol:

clairecloutier

Zoe Jones & Christopher Boyadji have a new baby. A little girl named Arya. ❤️🍼

Kateri

void beast
Zoe Jones & Christopher Boyadji have a new baby. A little girl named Arya. ❤️🍼

Zoe, you absolute lunatic. Congratulations. I await your next comeback in 2032. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Robin Cousins "is going to be getting a full knee replacement, 49 yrs after my first (with a knife) knee surgery for a torn medial meniscus aged 16 having withdraw from my first World champs, whilst in Munich for the event ‘74. Second surgery (left knee medial) post World Champs in ‘77" (6 more tweets): https://twitter.com/TheRobinCousins/status/1643244096755056641

"In 2004 I had a high tibial osteotomy on my right leg. This past week, 18 yrs later I had the ‘hardware’ removed in order to accommodate the knee replacement that will happen in 6 months or so, once then bone density has sufficient recovered."
"Said hardware. They cleaned it up to show me but I wasn’t allowed to keep it!" (photo): https://twitter.com/TheRobinCousins/status/1643244756753940486

Sylvia

TBD

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
According to this interview with Zoe Jones, translated by FS Gossips, her daughters Zarah and Zinia Wood have both switched to pairs and will be competing as juniors in the new season. Of course, her comments have likely been translated twice but it implies they may already have partners (and neither competed in singles at the recent qualifier).

Can't believe we may have more junior pairs than junior ice dance teams next season. :eek:

Also can't believe I'm getting news on British junior pairs from the Russian skating press. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Phebe Bekker's 2022-23 overview/thoughts (9 training clips from this season): https://www.instagram.com/p/Criv1gjo6Gc/
In a sport where the final product is expected perfection, it’s important to reflect and appreciate the behind the scenes and progress that takes place in the off season.
It’s the time of the year when you have to look at everything with you eyes squinted and your head tilted to one side to see potential, but also the most exciting as you get the privilege to be able to see improvement everyday.
30 different music cuts, endless enthusiasm from our wonderful team of coaches, and months and months of trusting the process, there’s a sense of fulfilment and satisfaction knowing that we ended the season looking a little less like a hot mess :)

Looking forward to continuing this process for next season whilst still enjoying the short break from run throughs !!!!!

Also, James, thank you for putting up with being on the receiving end of my clumsiness when trying to figure out where my limbs are supposed to go🥲
They were scheduled to perform in their Aston, PA rink's club show last night, tonight at 7 pm & Sunday at 4 pm.

Sylvia

TBD
Posted by ice_dundee just now - "Natasha Mckay has announced her retirement from competitive figure skating.": https://www.instagram.com/p/CsJo4SGIDec/
She is the current and 6 time British Champion and one of the most decorative figure skaters in Great Britain. She has competed at 6 European Championships, 5 World Championships, qualified for the final round in 5 of those 6 European Championships and also the last 3 World Championships. In 2022 she reached the ultimate goal of becoming an Olympian. Her passion, dedication and commitment for the sport over the years has been phenomenal and she is truly an inspiration for everyone. We want to thank everyone who has been part of her journey. First and foremost @si_briggs and @debibriggs who have been at her side from the start for everything they have done ❤️ Thank you to the whole @ice_dundee team/family #teamworkmakesthedreamwork 🥰
Special mention to all the sponsors who have supported her along the way @thorntonssolicitors @hendersonloggie @chiquesport @forthports @aimersteaandcoffee @johnstoncarmichael
Thank you to @sportscotland and @britishiceskating for all their support 💪Thank you to Mark Pillay and Benoit Richaud for the great programs in the last years ⛸️ Big thank you to all the fans who have been rooting and supporting Tash along the way ❤️
"Looking forward to Tash being a big part of @ice_dundee's coaching team ⛸️ Natasha will skate an exhibition at the Dundee Open [June 17-19] and she will also do a live on our channel with Simon Briggs so stay tuned 😊👍"

Here's Natasha's own announcement (posted at the same time): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsJoRDXIl1W/

ETA the link to BIS' news release with a statement from Jon Eley, British Ice Skating's Head of Performance:

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Belated, but -
Natasha's retirement feels like it's been on the cards since GP Sheffield, but she's really carried GB women post-Jenna McCorkell and British skating is going to miss her - and me too. (And a lot of pressure on Kristen Spours' bad back to get through the rest of this quad...)

Wishing Tash a fab retirement, and looking forward to seeing her on the other side of the boards.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I recognise about half of the pairs, I’d love to know who the others are!
Me too - I can identify about half the pairs, plus Tammy Sear. And I know at least one adult pair took part. I'm pretty bad at faces, but if I'm right there's another new (novice/junior) team!

Other off-season training miscellany:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information