2022–23 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

barbarafan

Hmm ... I can't quite picture that. Unless they're planning to really ham it up. :D
hope they don't ham it up. Piper is great at the dramatic theatrical performances & if the male is supposed to be angry looking Paul can do that well. Their placings went up as soon as they switched themes.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I think Evita is actually an excellent choice
I think Piper is perfect to play Eva and Paul can do the brooding nemesis very well.
I think they are excellent story tellers.

Thinking of the Waltz for Eva & Che, I think Piper & Paul could absolutely surprise us with an inspired Evita FD.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Thinking of the Waltz for Eva & Che, I think Piper & Paul could absolutely surprise us with an inspired Evita FD.
There are a few pieces on the soundtrack that would be appropriate for this year's rhythm dance too.

barbarafan

Interesting Skate Canada added the Budapest Trophy to their assignments page and Lajoie/Lagha and Fabbri/Ayer are entered. Two challengers for Lajoie/Lagha prior to the grand prix.
so glad
fabbri/Ayer have been assigned to a challenger....I was concerned that they had not been assigned.

Colonel Green

Seems like Miku & Tyler are out of the Nepela Memorial, since the federation's news release only mentions Marjorie & Zach (they also dropped Corey Circelli, who was mentioned in the release initially, and is still there in the URL).

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Seems like Miku & Tyler are out of the Nepela Memorial, since the federation's news release only mentions Marjorie & Zach (they also dropped Corey Circelli, who was mentioned in the release initially, and is still there in the URL).

That's a sudden change - Corey was in the press release and the photo earlier today:

Three Canadian Skaters to Compete at Ondrej Nepela Memorial 2022​

September 23, 2022/by Skate Canada
OTTAWA, ON (September 23, 2022) – The senior figure skating season is well underway after a successful stop in the United Stated that saw Team Canada finish just shy of the podium. Three Canadian athletes, including one man and one ice dance team, now travel to Bratislava, Slovakia for the Ondrej Nepela Memorial 2022, taking place from September 29 – October 1, 2022.
Newly appointed National Team member Corey Circelli will be representing Canada in the men’s discipline. Circelli has had a promising career thus far, winning the junior national champion title in 2020. Since then, he has managed to finish among the top-3 at the 2022 Skate Canada Challenge and placed 5th at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships.
Olympians Marjorie Lajoie and Zachary Lagha will lead the Canadian contingent in ice dance. Lajoie and Lagha had a breakthrough 2021-2022 season, winning bronze at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships and placing 13th at the 2022 Beijing Olympic Games.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Congratulations to Carolane and Shane for their first international medal since 2019! :cheer2: Nice result for Molly and Dmitre, too, pulling up from 6th to 4th.

I’m so impressed by Carolane and Shane’s improvements at the start of this season…and not just her longer hair and more glamorous look. They’re no longer “milk toast and apple pie”…now there’s real SASS and performance! More speed too? Seems that way. 🥳

ostile17

I’m so impressed by Carolane and Shane’s improvements at the start of this season…and not just her longer hair and more glamorous look. They’re no longer “milk toast and apple pie”…now there’s real SASS and performance! More speed too? Seems that way. 🥳
I was also pleasantly surprised, well done!
I especially noticed Carolane's great improvement since I had never liked her skating before.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
That was impressive from L/L. They have improved a lot. Congrats on the gold! Don't know why Zach was looking so forlorn in the K&C though. He needs to smile!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Both B/B and LaLa’s free dances are works of art! I’ve spent a big chunk of today just rewatching and savouring the best free programs from the past couple of days…Broussard, Frangipani, the Australian pair, Mao S…but those two ice-dance FDs take the cake. The footwork while the guy “plays” the violin is fantastic, for starters.

If the rest of the Challenger/JGP/GP weekends coming up are anything like what we’ve experienced during the last couple of days, then I’ll be on eternal sensory overload. My husband will have to stand by with smelling salts!

chantilly

I actually quite liked the FD from Lajoie and Lagha.

Just like last year I can’t stand their RD but really like their FD.

But there’s still something missing for me with them.

B and B are lovely. Think they have a bright future.

Bigbird

I actually quite liked the FD from Lajoie and Lagha.

Just like last year I can’t stand their RD but really like their FD.

But there’s still something missing for me with them.

B and B are lovely. Think they have a bright future.
Hands down. The best FD of all the seniors so far. After seeing the crapfest that was apparently Russian Test skates. Wow. Where has all the innovation and creativity gone? Now THAT L/L program was Olympics worthy. I mean how did S/K score with THAT?!!

I cannot wait to see the rest of the IAM choreo. Gobsmacked. That was good. B2 are also very good. But this FD is something different.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I'm pleased Lane & Razgulajevs have learned to balance a few top teams at the same time. Maybe G&P starting their season late helped them refocus. :p But I think most of their other top teams look ready to make a mark this season. Couldn't be happier for S&F, and B&B.

B&B really threw me to boot. Coming out, I assumed Les Mis, Pirates, something fitting of her lovely dress. I think The Red Violin was a fantastic choice, even if some choreographic moments don't land for me. Hope they go far this season!

Man, bring on the Canadanes! I still think they're a phenomenal team if they can avoid injury for more than 5 minutes. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case as yet.

barbarafan

I'm pleased Lane & Razgulajevs have learned to balance a few top teams at the same time. Maybe G&P starting their season late helped them refocus. :p But I think most of their other top teams look ready to make a mark this season. Couldn't be happier for S&F, and B&B.

B&B really threw me to boot. Coming out, I assumed Les Mis, Pirates, something fitting of her lovely dress. I think The Red Violin was a fantastic choice, even if some choreographic moments don't land for me. Hope they go far this season!

Man, bring on the Canadanes! I still think they're a phenomenal team if they can avoid injury for more than 5 minutes. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case as yet.
Can't wait for the Canadanes as well. Haven't seen a hint of their programs. Saw my favs (Fabbri/Ayer) at local competition. Love their new programs.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
And unexpectedly our other teams have a shot at a bronze medal, with the Cypriots being surprisingly shaky.
There are 7 teams with a shot at bronze - and this is junior ice dance - three of those teams had falls in the RD that affected their scores. I expect there to be some movement tomorrow. :)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
PCS a bit higher for FB/S: 35.18 vs. 34.45.

Base for L/L a little over a point higher for L/L: 32.07 vs. 30.95 (Sorensen had L2 for midline steps, and FB and S each had L3 for the PSt).

GOE: L/L .12 higher than FB/S over base, but that could have been because of a lower GOE range on a lower base. I haven't compared any of the scores to the GOE tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information