2022–23 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Sylvia

TBD
I would imagine they'll [Kemp/Elizarov] spend the summer at the Canadian Ice Academy again and get working on a new FP (and poor @Sylvia will no longer need to scramble for the mute button as soon as their music starts ;) :lol:).
For those who aren't aware, I've previously whined in competition play-by-play threads in the Kiss & Cry section that "Never Enough" might be my least favorite skated to song currently. ;)

Thanks for the article links & excerpts, @shutterbug!

Do you happen to know if any Novice pairs are age-eligible -- both partners need to be born between 1 January 2006 and 31 December 2009 -- for the 2024 Youth Olympics? GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ames-jan-19-feb-1-gangwon-south-korea.110558/

shutterbug

Do you happen to know if any Novice pairs are age-eligible -- both partners need to be born between 1 January 2006 and 31 December 2009 -- for the 2024 Youth Olympics? GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ames-jan-19-feb-1-gangwon-south-korea.110558/
Not off the top of my head. Typically only ages are given on the Skate Canada dailymotion broadcasts, will have to do some digging to see if I can find birth dates.

ETA: @Sylvia from the info I could find, Annika Behnke/Kole Sauve are the only Novice team that would likely be age-eligible for the Youth Olympics.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
An interview with Pereira/Michaud that I did at 4CCs:

GS article by Anna Kellar (March 15):

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Tomorrow morning at 16 mile creek in Oakville at 10am you can support and cheer on Bruno’s pairs skaters before worlds Miura/Kihara.. sorry just eta I realized @Sylvia posted it under Japanese skaters thread.

Sylvia

TBD
Phil Hersh has written a very good article on Deanna's skating journey for NBC Sports, published before she & Maxime compete at Worlds (March 20):

Today, NBC Sports' Nick Zaccardi tweeted 2 screenshots of Hersh's Chicago Tribune article on Deanna from 2000! https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/1638211835961778176

honey

Wonderful start for all three teams!

Lia and Trennt have so much potential and they are bringing each other to the next level. I don’t know exactly how to describe it, but both of them just shine brighter when paired together vs in singles or another partner. I wouldn’t have thought this was possible looking at previous performances when this partnership was announced.

I really, really look forward to how they will develop, because from my view point they both have some seedlings of star quality and that is missing somewhat in the pairs field. They could really produce something different and interesting with the right choreographers and vehicles. Understandably the programs right now are not showcasing that, but I feel like it’s in there for them to tap into.

puglover

Wonderful start for all three teams!

Lia and Trennt have so much potential and they are bringing each other to the next level. I don’t know exactly how to describe it, but both of them just shine brighter when paired together vs in singles or another partner. I wouldn’t have thought this was possible looking at previous performances when this partnership was announced.

I really, really look forward to how they will develop, because from my view point they both have some seedlings of star quality and that is missing somewhat in the pairs field. They could really produce something different and interesting with the right choreographers and vehicles. Understandably the programs right now are not showcasing that, but I feel like it’s in there for them to tap into.
I see star quality in them as well. I also love the fact that she is such a strong singles skater and confident on the jumps. That is a huge positive for them. It is tough to be a fan and close your eyes every time they jump. Belinda said something like - they can all fall on the jumps - so true - but some way more than others.

Janef

Can anyone post links I have searched around and isu has blocked Canada it appears
I see star quality in them as well. I also love the fact that she is such a strong singles skater and confident on the jumps. That is a huge positive for them. It is tough to be a fan and close your eyes every time they jump. Belinda said something like - they can all fall on the jumps - so true - but some way more than others.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Deanna and Max should be 2nd or third, the US pair in second got held up with that big fall.
You mean the current World Champs? Who had the best throw of the evening? And whose SBS spins were far superior to your Canadians? Like, did you even WATCH SDDes? Their SBS spins were a hot effing mess, and she pitched forward on the landing of her throw. It isn't as if the lead KniFraz have over either ConMac or SDDes is egregious, despite what your Canadian-colored spectacles might have shown you.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I called it at Canadians, even just watching Lia & Trent waiting for warm up. These two have "it". In my super humble and prone to error opinion, she is a STAR. SUPER excited to see how these guys develop, and wish them great things.

Luckily they have great teams ahead of them to aim for, and great teams behind them to keep things competitive.

Janef

Thanks for that with time stamps! They all did pretty well. The commentator pointed out some things which was helpful

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I understand why KniFra are ahead of Deanna and Max, but I thought Deanna and Max should be ahead of the Italians. YMMV.

I, too, am so excited about Lia and Trennt. They are soooo good together, and after such a short time too. I'm glad Trennt has found a good partner because he's exceptionally talented. And Lia is such a star.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I understand why KniFra are ahead of Deanna and Max, but I thought Deanna and Max should be ahead of the Italians. YMMV.
Thiiiiis - though I can even accept that considering politics/etc.

So, @Karen-W - please don't take Yuki seriously and accidentally get the ire of other Canadians with your fierce response. :lol: She doesn't represent us any more than Trump represents yankees. :)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I just want to echo the Lia&Trennt love. Even with a snoozy piece of music, their (especially her) star quality is undeniable. They're easily my fave new team of this season, along with Pavlova/Sviatchenko of Hungary. Soooooo much talent and potential.

Someone please do their best to keep them far, far away from Julie Marcotte's CD collection, though, lol.

skatingguy

decently
I think the Italians were a little bit sharper, and their choreography is bit more complex. Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps need to continue to put out clean performances to get the judges to go with them on the GOE, particularly on the lifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information