2022 Skate America

alizadavida

BTW, I was making my hotel reservations using the spectator special rates provided. Please note that the stated rates are based on a 5 night stay and may go up substantially with a shorter stay. Buyer Beware!
I was thinking of spending 1-2 nights but now I'll def just drive the 45+ min home.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
  • Airport that has good transit to/from the competition area or city
  • Range of accommodation choices and prices; not everyone can afford to stay at Hotel Deluxe and not everyone wants to stay at a rat-trap
  • Public transit or walking distance to/from arena. A safe walk with sidewalks all the way is a bonus.
  • Stuff to do or see when the skating isn't on, other than eating

sk9tingfan

I was thinking of spending 1-2 nights but now I'll def just drive the 45+ min home.
I would do that based on what I am seeing. You could stay 8 or so miles out with a $117/night cost at the Holiday Inn Express. I did that when the Cranberry Open occurred last September.

alizadavida

I would do that based on what I am seeing. You could stay 8 or so miles out with a $117/night cost at the Holiday Inn Express. I did that when the Cranberry Open occurred last September.
just priced it - looks like its $170 a night even with aaa/aarp.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Milwaukee is not bad, checks all those boxes. You would need ride-sharing, taxi or car to get from airport to downtown as the public transportation options from the airport are poor. That said, once you are downtown in one of the many hotels, the arena and restaurants are very walkable.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Milwaukee is not bad, checks all those boxes. You would need ride-sharing, taxi or car to get from airport to downtown as the public transportation options from the airport are poor. That said, once you are downtown in one of the many hotels, the arena and restaurants are very walkable.
I really enjoyed SA in Milwaukee in 2015. It was an easy trip!

Debbie S

For those who live or have been to the area around SCOB, how difficult do you think it would be to get an Uber in Norwood at 4 AM on a Monday?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For those who live or have been to the area around SCOB, how difficult do you think it would be to get an Uber in Norwood at 4 AM on a Monday?
If you try to pre-book, it should be possible. But, big BUT, you will likely get someone who's half asleep. And Uber/Lyft is your only option at that hour unless your accommodation has a shuttle. The MBTA buses and trains don't start running until after 5 a.m.

Debbie S

If you try to pre-book, it should be possible. But, big BUT, you will likely get someone who's half asleep. And Uber/Lyft is your only option at that hour unless your accommodation has a shuttle. The MBTA buses and trains don't start running until after 5 a.m.
Thanks! Would a 6 AM Uber be any easier? SW fares went up overnight so it would be an extra $32 for the 8:20 AM flight. Of course, there's my sanity to consider....

Hotel does not have a shuttle.

I didn't have a problem with early Ubers in KC and SLC, but that wasn't out in the burbs.

sk9tingfan

Just booked my tickets. See you in Section 114!
I'm at the top of that section! (Don't like the stairs) and it's only 11 rows up). This will be the first time in all of the competitions I've been to competitions that I've sat behind the judges. I figured it would be interesting to get that perspective.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Thanks! Would a 6 AM Uber be any easier? SW fares went up overnight so it would be an extra $32 for the 8:20 AM flight. Of course, there's my sanity to consider....

Hotel does not have a shuttle.

I didn't have a problem with early Ubers in KC and SLC, but that wasn't out in the burbs.
You may want to wait because SW does sales when it gets closer to the date. Also, going off my recent history with SW, the flight time you book now will not be the flight time you have in October.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
You may want to wait because SW does sales when it gets closer to the date. Also, going off my recent history with SW, the flight time you book now will not be the flight time you have in October.
I had an August flight changed from a direct flight to one with a layover. Fortunately they have no change fees and a cheaper direct flight became available a month later. I switched to that but who knows how much it will change before then. I agree with waiting but if you don’t you can always hope you get lucky like I did.

TanithandBenFan

I had an August flight changed from a direct flight to one with a layover. Fortunately they have no change fees and a cheaper direct flight became available a month later. I switched to that but who knows how much it will change before then. I agree with waiting but if you don’t you can always hope you get lucky like I did.
I booked nonstop coming and going to Chicago for SOI next week back in February, and one week later they moved the nonstops to 6am. I can’t do that early because of my distance from the airport so I have to do layovers now when I originally booked two easy flights at great times. Not happy.

Debbie S

Ugh, well, that's not good to hear that SW is now changing flight times after the fact. I've never had a problem before with them changing times, just canceling my flights altogether. :mad: I could fly other airlines but I have a $100 voucher on SW from my canceled flight to Nats that I need to use by early Jan. If they do drop prices, I can get a credit and use for San Jose (really don't want to fly SW there but they have the best connections and times), but with oil prices going haywire, I feel like I should book soon.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I'm at the top of that section! (Don't like the stairs) and it's only 11 rows up). This will be the first time in all of the competitions I've been to that I've sat behind the judges. I figured it would be interesting to get that perspective.
It's what I usually go for. I normally try to book seats behind the technical panel and nerd out, but this time I booked seats more toward the center as Mr. Thvu is accompanying me. I hope to drag him to practices too. I would love to say hi and introduce him to other fs fans so he stops thinking I'm the only one within a hundred miles. :lol:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@Debbie S Yes, it’s easy to get Uber/Lyft at 6 a.m. There are a lot of people working at that hour, many trying to get a trip or two in before their regular jobs. But I’d still advise pre-booking. Allow a minimum of 90 minutes travel time.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Honestly, pay the $32. I’ve had too many 2:00 AM wake-up calls for 5:30 flights out of Israel, I just won’t do it anymore. Between the nausea and the fogginess a bad situation (flying) is twice as bad.

I’ll get up as early at 4:30 because I can fall asleep at 10, but no earlier.

sk9tingfan

It's what I usually go for. I normally try to book seats behind the technical panel and nerd out, but this time I booked seats more toward the center as Mr. Thvu is accompanying me. I hope to drag him to practices too. I would love to say hi and introduce him to other fs fans so he stops thinking I'm the only one within a hundred miles. :lol:
I'll reach beforehand! :cheer2:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Apologies if this has previously been addressed, but what row would you recommend for someone who struggles with stairs? Row 1 or row 10?

sk9tingfan

Apologies if this has previously been addressed, but what row would you recommend for someone who struggles with stairs? Row 1 or row 10?
Not sure if it applies to the seats you're looking at, but the seats i selected on the judges' side were in row K for the same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information