2023–24 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Dub16

Canada has benefitted from skaters jumping to Canada for opportunity, most recently in ice dance, so what is the big deal if it also goes the other way. I am happy for them and for Ireland.
This. Skate Canada secured the release of 7 out of the 14 ice dancers currently on their national team from other nations. That amounts to fifty percent. The sheer hypocrisy displayed is truly astonishing. :blah:

In the document, Skate Canada mentions the substantial investment they made in Soucisse/Firus. However, upon reading the rest of the document, it fails to specify whether they requested a reimbursement. I also believe that the choice of May 1, 2024, as the date hints at the actual reason why Skate Canada was reluctant to release them. They did not want them to compete at the Montreal Worlds. It appears to be quite vindictive.

The fact that Skate Canada had complete and exclusive authority over athlete releases was nonsensical from a governance perspective. It's a positive development that they have altered this policy. However, under the new policy, in the case of Soucisse/Firus, they would be required to sit out two full seasons AFTER their last season representing Canada. They were fortunate to have been released when they were. The new policy constitutes an abuse of power and would effectively terminate a skater's career.

This is akin to a person leaving a job, and their former company demanding the repayment of their entire salary before allowing them to work for a new company. Release policies of this nature are reminiscent of indentured servitude. Skaters are not commodities; they are human beings.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Almost all support is for past results. Until then, the athletes have to find their own funding, usually from their families. It isn't even a salary for the current season. It's ridiculous to be able to ask for reimbursement for anything that is without strings tied to current or future results.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Sept. 29, 2023 Fournier Beaudry/Soerensen article by Rob Brodie: 'We have really high goals this year'
“We really wanted to elevate our enjoyment of skating, and remember and remind ourselves why we started to do it to begin with,” said Soerensen. “You get close to the end and you say ‘wow, let’s just try to enjoy this as much as possible.’ And it showed every day in practice, and it came to life in competition. That was really the gist of last year’s energy.”

The fact Worlds is in Montreal — where Fournier Beaudry and Soerensen, a native of Denmark who became a Canadian citizen in 2021, have lived for 13 years now — made it a “no brainer” to return for another season. But Soerensen admitted there is a moment after every season when the duo at least considers the thought of what life would be like without skating.

“I think I quit every year, and I think it’s important to do so. It’s an exercise we practise, just allowing yourself to quit and see what that feels like,” he said.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from their fan thread... Golden Skate's Ted Flett interviewed Lolo & Nik in Montreal, published today (Oct. 1) - recap:
Their 40-minute interview video is embedded in the recap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq89SXrppmI

Lajoie/Lagha's Nepela Memorial post-FD quotes, published by Golden Skate: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx0ilyToFgx/
“We had a rough summer, Zach had a shoulder injury and thus we kind of didn’t have an off season. But we nevertheless thought we came here ready, as we worked super hard during the last 2 1/2 weeks. We did a few unfortunate mistakes but we will take the situation how it is and will work from here!”
Lagha recently received his first $4,000 scholarship from Cirque du Soleil and 2nd from the Aléo Foundation (he speaks briefly in this video - 3rd person): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxyTUbxAbe3/
Sept. 26th press release (in French): https://fondationaleo.ca/le-groupe-...-aleo-une-alliance-aujourdhui-et-vers-demain/
Studying a Bachelor of Fine Arts, contemporary dance specialty at Concordia University
Zachary and his partner Marjorie Lajoie, also an Aléo Foundation scholarship recipient, made their mark on the international scene in 2019 by being crowned junior world champions in ice dance. A highlight for the duo who subsequently continued their journey, notably until the Beijing Olympic Games, during which they managed to qualify for the long program. This season, the duo is aiming for a top-5 finish at the World Championships, which will be held in Montreal in March! In addition to his talent on the ice, Zachary is an accomplished artist. He is studying a Bachelor of Fine Arts, specializing in contemporary dance, at Concordia University, and is also a pianist who has played and won in prestigious competitions! When art meets sport or when sport meets art!

Bashynska/Beaumont also spoke to Cgolden Skate after their Nepela FD: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx0rBsLIb53/
“We stepped it up since our summer competition. It felt really good competing here and show our two programs for real.
In our Free Dance we are kind of telling our own “love story”. We are portraiting love but in our case the love between us is not the classical romantic love but a deep bond of friendship.
Our coach came up with the opening pose inspired by a picture. We tried it and love it.”
Now they have 1 1/2 months until their next competition - the GP in Finland and they plan to work hard on their programs.”

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Robert Brodie has a new interview with Gilles/Poirier. (I strongly recommend subscribing to his Substack if you're at all interested in Canadian skating!)

Their free dance will be skated to music from ‘Wuthering Heights,’ the movie version of the Emily Bronte novel. Gilles and Poirier feel it fits right into their wheelhouse as storytellers on ice.

“We wanted to continue to tell a story, because that’s something that we enjoy doing,” said Poirier. “We wanted to take a different route musically … it’s movie soundtrack music, it’s very classical, but it has a lot of angularity and a tone of darkness, which is really interesting to play around with.”

The rhythm dance choice proved to be a little trickier, with the rather wide open genre of 1980s music being the mandated theme this season. In the end, Gilles and Poirier went with the original version of “No More I Love You’s,” by The Lover Speaks, and the energetic medley of Robert Palmer’s “Addicted To Love.” It’s quite the contrast.

“It was really challenging to make something that is cohesive and representative of the era, and is something you want to skate to, and allows you to do everything that you want to do,” said Poirier. “Or that you need to do as well. So I think musically, that was just a little bit trickier to figure out exactly which direction we wanted to go in. Really, for us, once we found the ‘No More I Love You’s’ — it’s this really strong ’80s ballad with a slightly overdramatic feel — we really wanted to work with that. Then the challenge was figuring out what to pair it with that matched it, and didn’t overpower it or really distract from it.”

Sylvia

TBD
Beverley Smith's article on Marjorie and Zachary after they won the silver at Skate America (Oct. 23):

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
re the linked document of the decision regarding Soucisse & Firus. Unbelievable that Skate Canada apparently can't be bothered to keep its athlete information online up to date. Good for the arbitrator in not buying SC's argument that it's allowed to use a policy that it hasn't gotten around to posting on its website :rolleyes:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

barbarafan

re the linked document of the decision regarding Soucisse & Firus. Unbelievable that Skate Canada apparently can't be bothered to keep its athlete information online up to date. Good for the arbitrator in not buying SC's argument that it's allowed to use a policy that it hasn't gotten around to posting on its website :rolleyes:
where is the linked document?

champ

This. Skate Canada secured the release of 7 out of the 14 ice dancers currently on their national team from other nations. That amounts to fifty percent. The sheer hypocrisy displayed is truly astonishing. :blah:

In the document, Skate Canada mentions the substantial investment they made in Soucisse/Firus. However, upon reading the rest of the document, it fails to specify whether they requested a reimbursement. I also believe that the choice of May 1, 2024, as the date hints at the actual reason why Skate Canada was reluctant to release them. They did not want them to compete at the Montreal Worlds. It appears to be quite vindictive.

The fact that Skate Canada had complete and exclusive authority over athlete releases was nonsensical from a governance perspective. It's a positive development that they have altered this policy. However, under the new policy, in the case of Soucisse/Firus, they would be required to sit out two full seasons AFTER their last season representing Canada. They were fortunate to have been released when they were. The new policy constitutes an abuse of power and would effectively terminate a skater's career.

This is akin to a person leaving a job, and their former company demanding the repayment of their entire salary before allowing them to work for a new company. Release policies of this nature are reminiscent of indentured servitude. Skaters are not commodities; they are human beings.
Well said. Yes the Hyprocrisy is staggering!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I didn't see it, but Sales and Wamsteeker scored 64.56 in their rhythm dance at Ontario Sectionals, where they skated as guests. Sales posted about their return to competition on her instgram.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I didn't see it, but Sales and Wamsteeker scored 64.56 in their rhythm dance at Ontario Sectionals, where they skated as guests. Sales posted about their return to competition on her instgram.

There was a very nice reaction from Anthony Ponomarenko to the news.

Colonel Green

We'll see if Cup of China is a short-term outlier in how they're scored internationally, but in any case, Marjorie & Zach stage their second dramatic near-upset of one of the teams ahead of them (after 2023 nationals).

I think a plausible goal for them this season would be to push past Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen for silver at nationals and the 4CC bronze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information