2023/24 Canadian Pairs: News & Updates

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Re-posting here - thanks for the gifted link to Les Carpenter's article @sk9tingfan ! :):
Great article. This reminds me of the early 1990s, when we used to make a big deal about 33-yr-old Calla Urbanski skating pairs with Rocky Marval. “The Waitress and the Truck Driver.” Remember them? I used to think that Calla was the wonder of the world, skating pairs at her age! Little did we know that Deanna (and others - Shen, Zoe) would top her.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

I don`t follow pairs as much as singles. But I do notice that pair`s women are fierce. At the end they`re the fist pumpers. Magean, Hase, Deanna and of course Alyonna are totally in your face. Are single ladies less like this or or they told to turn it down? A nice result last night and a re-birth of German skating!

Kateri

void beast
I don`t follow pairs as much as singles. But I do notice that pair`s women are fierce. At the end they`re the fist pumpers. Magean, Hase, Deanna and of course Alyonna are totally in your face. Are single ladies less like this or or they told to turn it down? A nice result last night and a re-birth of German skating!
Pairs girls are a special breed of terrifying, crystal-warrior badasses who do not fear death, theirs or yours. They are my favourite thing in all figure skating.

fsfann

Anyone else feel like it’s time for Lia and Trennnnt to make a move to new coaches? I feel like they have stagnated this year and perhaps a fresh start and approach would give them the spark they need to climb higher in the ranks….

Desperado

Anyone else feel like it’s time for Lia and Trennnnt to make a move to new coaches? I feel like they have stagnated this year and perhaps a fresh start and approach would give them the spark they need to climb higher in the ranks….
We don’t know how much Trennt’s back injury affected their training and performance so it’s hard to tell. He seems to have put on more muscle mass this year, perhaps to help with the issue and either could’ve impacted his jumps and the throws.

It just seemed to me that Trennt was struggling throughout the year.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I lean toward @Desperado's view about Trennt right now. Their 3tw was much better last season or even earlier in this season than it was this week. That makes me think that his back injury is playing a significant factor in their performances right now. They didn't do as well this year as they did last year at Worlds but they did more than enough to maintain their top 10 status and guarantee themselves 2 GPs, so let's not worry much unless they show up next season looking worse.

Having said that, they do need to get a new choreographer. That "Gladiator" program has been trash all season.

Desperado

Having said that, they do need to get a new choreographer. That "Gladiator" program has been trash all season.

I wrote something similar then erased it because I don’t know if the judges liked it or not. Apparently Lia and Trennt really enjoyed the program. I did not.

ETA: And don’t get me started on T’s cap sleeves (also only a personal opinion.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I wrote something similar then erased it because I don’t know if the judges liked it or not. Apparently Lia and Trennt really enjoyed the program. I did not.

ETA: And don’t get me started on T’s cap sleeves (also only a personal opinion.
Yes, yes, yes. Trennt's costume was just wrong, in so many ways, lol. That is a shirt style he never needs to wear again!

fsfann

I saw the live this week and was struck by their lack of speed throughout the programs. I think it's something they really need to work on over the summer season.
Agree.. I felt that way when I saw them in Calgary. I don't think their programs this year really did them any special favours either...

Sylvia

TBD
Split after placing 9th of 9 Senior teams at 2024 Nationals - Ashlyn Schmitz/Tristan Taylor. He is 21 and posted an IPS profile after Nationals (mentions he has dual USA/Canada citizenship): https://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7524
Here he is in Colorado Springs landing side-by-side 2A+3T with 2024 Junior Nationals singles competitor Jessica Jurka (will be 14 in June) in her post today: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5owkz8rw8S/ (also landed sbs 3T & 3Lo in her Instagram stories - eta - although this could have been "just for fun" and not an actual tryout)

Aidan Wright's IPS profile was last updated on Feb. 8: https://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7411
He is 22 and skated with Megan Yudin earlier this season.

Lily Wilberforce, 18, last updated her IPS profile after 2024 Nationals: https://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7411

Meghan Fredette is now 21 and lists Anabelle Langlois as her coach: https://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7313

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information