2023/24 Canadian Pairs: News & Updates

shutterbug

Deanna Stellato-Dudek appeared on an episode of The Social:
Love the audience reaction to her story! 😍 Goal is still the 2026 Olympics.

In pair choreography news, Proft/Nadeau have been working with Scott Moir and Madison Hubbell, Laurin/Éthier with David Wilson:
Kemp/Elizarov have been working with Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs, presumably on a new FP:

Sk8mom123

Lia Pereira showing the progress of her and Trennt Michaud's throw Salchow: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CskSoNLs8V3/

Copying over from the previous thread - Brooke McIntosh/Benjamin Mimar's new SP was choreographed by David Wilson and Sandra Bezic last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrmbfnTLQgs/
Their FS choreo. was done by Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs.

Looks like Thierry and Lori-Anne are officially split https://www.instagram.com/p/Cth5Ly3LTqn/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Colonel Green

Grand Prix assignments
Pereira & Michaud (SkAm & France)
McIntosh & Mimar (SCI & Finland)
Stellato & Deschamps (SCI & Cup of China)
Laurin & Ethier (SCI & NHK)

Lia & Trennt have a real shot at two silver medals, looking at the fields.

Happy for Kelly-Ann and Loucas, as well.

Sylvia

TBD
Bringing this info over here from the 2023-24 NextGen Team thread in GSD:
The entries for the 2023 NextGen Simulation Competition [July 22-23] have been posted by Skate Ontario: ...
Junior Pairs - https://www.skateontario.org/results/NG24JULY/24NG-JrPairs-EL.pdf

Annika Behnke / Kole Sauve, Sherwood Park FSC/Sherwood Park FSC AB | NT | NU
Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran Thrasher, Skate Oakville/Skate Oakville ON [new]
Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov, Skate Winnipeg/Skate Winnipeg MB
Martina Ariano Kent / Charly Laliberté, Laurent CPA Ville Mont-Royal/CPA de Boucherville Inc. QC
2023 Skate Ontario Sectional Series - Orleans, ON - July 20-23, 2023

Senior Pairs
Emmanuelle Proft / Nicolas Nadeau Patinage des Mille-Îles / Patinage des Mille-Îles QC
Elizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot / Daniel Villeneuve CPA Sherbrooke / CPA Sherbrooke QC

Junior Pairs
Julia Quattrocchi / Simon Desmarais CPA Les Lames D'Argent De Laval Inc. / CPA Ville Marie QC [new]
Lily Wilberforce / Joshua Dore Brant FSC / Gloucester SC [new]

Quebec Summer Championships, August 10-13 in Pierrefonds (Canadian pairs entries as of June 28) - re-posting here from the Canadian competitions thread in Kiss & Cry:
The senior pair event is shaping up to be quite:watch:. Entered are:
Carignan/Pierro
Laurin/Ethier
McIntosh/Mimar
Proft/Nadeau
Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps
Thibodeau-Mailhot/Villeneuve

... Interesting note, Kieran Thrasher is now competing with Jazmine Desrochers in junior pair.
Junior Pairs:
Martina Ariano Kent / Charly Laliberté-Laurent [new; she was J3/he N1]
Beau Callahan / Christophe Roch [new; she was N2/he N4]
Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran Thrasher [new; she was J5/he J1]
Julia Quattrocchi / Simon Desmarais [new; both new to pairs?]
Noémie Rolland / Etienne Lacasse [new; he was PN1]

Last edited:

shutterbug

Pereira/Michaud article by longtime sports journalist Rob Bodie via Skate Canada Twitter: :( note from Rob:
Editor’s note: The following story is based on a series of interviews done back in January. It was meant to appear in an issue of International Figure Skating Magazine several months ago, but sadly the owner and publisher of IFS passed away suddenly at the end of February and that publication is no more. I have decided to share it with readers in this space and, outside of a few minor tweaks, it is being presented in the manner in which it would have appeared in the magazine. And to the people interviewed for it … sorry this took so long!

watchthis!!

I know that Vanessa James and Eric Radford retired, but did they tour together (or are still touring?) Or after last year's Worlds, did they just go their own way? I thought their goal was to tour when they retired, but have no idea what they've been up to. Thanks! :)

Sylvia

TBD
I know that Vanessa James and Eric Radford retired, but did they tour together (or are still touring?)
They performed on the Holiday on Ice SUPERNOVA tour that ended in France at the end of April.

Here's the direct link to read Rob Brodie's substack article on Lia & Trennt that was published on June 23 (click on "continue reading"):

Last edited:

barbarafan

Bringing this info over here from the 2023-24 NextGen Team thread in GSD:

2023 Skate Ontario Sectional Series - Orleans, ON - July 20-23, 2023

Senior Pairs
Emmanuelle Proft / Nicolas Nadeau Patinage des Mille-Îles / Patinage des Mille-Îles QC
Elizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot / Daniel Villeneuve CPA Sherbrooke / CPA Sherbrooke QC

Junior Pairs
Julia Quattrocchi / Simon Desmarais CPA Les Lames D'Argent De Laval Inc. / CPA Ville Marie QC [new]
Lily Wilberforce / Joshua Dore Brant FSC / Gloucester SC [new]

Quebec Summer Championships, August 10-13 in Pierrefonds (Canadian pairs entries as of June 28) - re-posting here from the Canadian competitions thread in Kiss & Cry:

Junior Pairs:
Martina Ariano Kent / Charly Laliberté-Laurent [new; she was J3/he N1]
Beau Callahan / Christophe Roch [new; she was N2/he N4]
Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran Thrasher [new; she was J5/he J1]
Julia Quattrocchi / Simon Desmarais [new; both new to pairs?]
Noémie Rolland / Etienne Lacasse [new; he was PN1]
what happened with Kieran Thrasher partner from last year?

Desperado

Finally able to watch the short program of Deanna and Maxime at the Championnats d’été. Oxygène (Cirque du soleil version) is a bold choice and I think it works well for them as it’s a powerful piece. Not a fan of the heavy breathing at the beginning however.

Deanna sporting a midriff is everything 🤩 She did not look satisfied at all in the K&C while the team looks happy amd smiling. 😂
At about 2:30:00

They withdrew before the long but I don’t think it’s due to injury.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top summer scores so far

SENIOR PAIRS
Proft/Nadeau 182
Laurin/Ethier 179
Derenisky/Eberl 149
Schmitz/Taylor 127

JUNIOR PAIRS
Kent/Laliberte-Laurent 151 QUEBEC
Desrochers/Thrasher 137 QUEBEC
Kemp/Elizarov 136 NEXTGEN
Callahan/Roch 121 QUEBEC
Schmitz/Taylor 120 NEXTGEN

Last edited:

Yyzskater

Congratulations to Martina and Charly on collecting Canada’s first JGP medal of the season. I was really impressed with their technical content, especially this early in their partnership.

This is also our first JGP pairs gold since Julianne and Charlie in 2014.
Pleasantly surprised by this new team and thoroughly impressed with their delivery at their first int'l competition

Colonel Green

dramagrrl

Congratulations to Martina and Charly on collecting Canada’s first JGP medal of the season. I was really impressed with their technical content, especially this early in their partnership.

This is also our first JGP pairs gold since Julianne and Charlie in 2014.

Bad things tend to happen when I get attached to junior pairs teams... but I like these two a lot. :)

shutterbug

Cross posting from the Canadian Men's news thread, here's an archived (slow loading) version of Laurie Nealin's article in today's Winnipeg Free Press that includes information about the injury impacting Kemp/Elizarov's season :eek:: Winnipeg skater Howes taking talents to Hungary

Meanwhile, pairs duo Ava Kemp and Yoni Elizarov were again rebuilding from injury as he recovered from an unexplained collapsed lung in mid-March, the week after they finished sixth at the world junior championships in Calgary.
“It’s been really tough. I think our (off-) season training really started in June instead of right after junior worlds. We had two or three months off because I couldn’t do anything because of my lung,” said Elizarov, 20, told the Free Press recently.

After re-inflating his lung, doctors recommended surgery to remove the damaged part of the organ. The surgery happened mid-April.
Poor Yoni, what a random and scary injury. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information