Cheer thread for Anastasia Gubanova

rfisher

Let the skating begin
In recent memory I think Satoko, Anastasia and now Isabeau are skaters I enjoy whether the jumps are there or not…so when they are on it is always enjoyable for me.
I'd add Ksenia Sinitsina. If you haven't seen her programs this season, they are just lovely. And, she has the jumps. She doesn't attempt the ultra-C jumps, but the rest are good. But, her basic skating is probably the best of all the current Russian women.

Scott512

In recent memory I think Satoko, Anastasia and now Isabeau are skaters I enjoy whether the jumps are there or not…so when they are on it is always enjoyable for me.
I agree 100%! They are special beautiful skaters. People make a big deal about Isabeas jumps. But her skating is so artistic and beautiful I'm just wow when I see her. Nastya has improved her jumps so much in the last few years. She was first in the SP jumps and first in the LP in jumps. Different levels in the artistic and presentation categories ever improved significantly then she will really have chances. But that's up to the judges and so far they shut her down pretty much.

Scott512

Given she was on the verge of quitting skating when the Georgian federation called and offered her a spot, I just consider every comp a gift.
No question about it. I remember reading a couple years ago that Anastasia had quit 3 different times probably 2020. But she still needs to be treated fairly by the judges like everyone else. And that's killing her PC S for 3 years is very unfortunate. Her PCS scores should be in the 34 and 70 range minimums. They aren't close to that man and yesterday Nastya a skating artist was close to flawless in her lp and she got like a 66 PCS skating second to last. :(

I hope Nastya is not too upset about her euro silver that was some of the best skating she's ever done. I hope she uses this success as a spring board to greater performances.

MorganaLefay

I think what Nastia has done at the Euros is phenomenal! She was never the one with the nerves of steel but in this competition she certainly has been! In terms of the second mark, i have only seen Loena live this year, and she is obviously a force. In fact, when one compares LH and Nastia, they have the exact opposite approach, and its actually interesting to compare bc they both do wacking programs this year, but Nastias short, while hitting lovely positions, is definitely not as impactful and dominating. In fact, its as if she is a bit embarrassed of her gorgeousness, while Loena is very "in your face" (literally for the judges). I think Nastia is just too sweet and tentative, so less ice coverage, less power (even though the jumps are superb) and less conviction. Which is odd bc when she skated Romeo and Juliet at the ripe age of 13 or so, i thought she was the most convincing and impactful skater of them all, but injury and lack of confifence took their toll. She shld go to Loenas Konfidence Klinic, or maybe not:) So very happy for her in any event.

Scott512

I think what Nastia has done at the Euros is phenomenal! She was never the one with the nerves of steel but in this competition she certainly has been! In terms of the second mark, i have only seen Loena live this year, and she is obviously a force. In fact, when one compares LH and Nastia, they have the exact opposite approach, and its actually interesting to compare bc they both do wacking programs this year, but Nastias short, while hitting lovely positions, is definitely not as impactful and dominating. In fact, its as if she is a bit embarrassed of her gorgeousness, while Loena is very "in your face" (literally for the judges). I think Nastia is just too sweet and tentative, so less ice coverage, less power (even though the jumps are superb) and less conviction. Which is odd bc when she skated Romeo and Juliet at the ripe age of 13 or so, i thought she was the most convincing and impactful skater of them all, but injury and lack of confifence took their toll. She shld go to Loenas Konfidence Klinic, or maybe not:) So very happy for her in any event.
Nastya did show tremendous mental toughness this Europeans and last Europeans.

But no Morgana Nastya shouldn't go to Loena's confidence clinic. ;) Or wait maybe she should it might open her up a little bit and game more confidence. ;) If Guba can stay healthy the next couple years we will really see some wonderful skating from her.

Morgana you wrote a very good detailed post about the differences between Nastya and Loena who seem similar in some ways and very different in some ways. The Belgian bombshell is a physical force in a way that Nastya can never be and should never try to be. Loena also has a powerful charisma and that dominant show off her body persona that Anastasia will never have and I don't ever want her to try to have that.

Is the lack of ice coverage for Anastasia because she does not have big time power and speed? I have heard people say she does not have great ice coverage before. It's really hard to say when you're watching on YouTube or whatever.

Nastya and Loena are similar in that they're beautiful artistic skaters but different in that Nastya is a finesse skater while Loena has some finesse but lots more speed and power. Hendricks is bigger faster stronger with a dominant personality and loves to show off. That's not what I like most in a figure skater. I think Anastasia is trying to be more like Loena this season wearing that red cat suit in her SP. She's skated very well to it but most people don't think it's her style. Nastya is trying to come out of her shell. To me the way she's skated at 2024 Europeans was more impressive than last year when she won the gold. Like you pointed out her jumps at euros were superb but not the most powerful. Anastasia was first in jumps in both skates and I hope she can take that in 2 worlds and the rest of her career. Anastasia won't vow you with the power and speed at huge charisma. Her great qualities are more delicate beautiful skating musicality and artistry almost a low-key shyness on the ice.

It's interesting for Nastya to try different programs than her wonderfully Olympic season programs and what she did as a junior skating for Russia. But I'm not sure it's working people have pegged her as a beautiful and artistic skater and she's trying different things the last couple seasons. If she had kept her LP from the Olympic season her LP scores last season would have been higher in my opinion. But she won European so she wants to try different things different styles. But I love her skating to Abel Koroniewski and I hope she does again. ;)

Scott512

Really the key for Anastasia's future is can she stay healthy and can they finally give her PCS scores respectable for such a beautiful artist skater and I'm talking 35 in the SP and 70 in the lp. I'm not asking for PCS scores of Kaori Anna and Kamila vwho get or got upper 30s and mid 70s. And I don't see what the big deal would be if Guba got respectable PCS scores. I mean it's only gonna get her to maybe 210 to 215 points tops. So there really is no need for the judges to kill her PCS scores like they do. I mean there's been a few times in the last couple years when her pcs have been in the 20s and 50s. Lol.

Right now I see no reason why Anastasia should not be in the picture of the top lady skaters for the ISU after Kaori. Nastya should be right there with Yelim Loena and Isabeau. But shes not. Yet. It's coming.

3T3T

Great to see so much activity on Anastasiia‘s fan thread.

I think she had a great competition and should be very happy with her silver medal. I just didn‘t trust the judges to mark her fairly but she fully deserved her new total score PB, she gave them no choice. Delighted to see that she scored the best on the jumps. I hope that she can push on and have a great worlds. I wonder will she get a PCS boost now? She should be much closer to Loena.

Hard to believe she was on the point of retiring and now, thanks to Georgia, is a European champion, Olympian and competing internationally on the GP. It would never happen in Russia.

Scott512

Great to see so much activity on Anastasiia‘s fan thread.

I think she had a great competition and should be very happy with her silver medal. I just didn‘t trust the judges to mark her fairly but she fully deserved her new total score PB, she gave them no choice. Delighted to see that she scored the best on the jumps. I hope that she can push on and have a great worlds. I wonder will she get a PCS boost now? She should be much closer to Loena.

Hard to believe she was on the point of retiring and now, thanks to Georgia, is a European champion, Olympian and competing internationally on the GP. It would never happen in Russia.

3T3T I think there are less fans of figure skating now since the ban that's why less people post. This has happened on other figure skating forums as well.

You think Anastasia may start to get some higher PCS scores and her PCS scores should be closer to Loenas. We agree on that but her PCS scores never go up. She won euros last year and her PCS scores actually got worse. In fact they are down from the Olympic season especially in the lp. I've seen several times since the Olympic season and including the Olympic season where Nastia's PCS scores are in the 20s and 50s. Absolutely unthinkable for such a beautiful skater. The political judges at ISU obviously are sending her messages.

I just read that interview thanks for posting it. But as defending European champion I found it odd that Nastya felt it was an almost impossible task to win gold this euros. But she had a pretty rough season coming into euros and the Judges killed her scores and Loena was skating much better overall and getting really good scores. I mean I felt the same way as Nastya as that if Loena skates reasonably well she's going to win. She did and she won. But Anastasia skated the best performances of her senior career so the silver medal probably feels almost like gold.

The question now is can Nastya build off the highest score of her career? Her last 2 worlds were a mixed bag of tricks. The Olympic season she had a wonderful free State after a terrible short program and last year I think both programs were disappointing. She has the momentum now. Obviously she can't really compete with Kaori and her skills which the judges love. But I see no reason why Nastya can't compete with the second group of Loena Yelim and Isabeau for instance for the podium. It's going to be important for Nastia to avoid a poor SP like she's had the last 2 worlds. The 2 excellent performances at Europeans hopefully propels her forward.

3T3T

An interview with Russia’s first female world champion, the amazing Maria Butyrskaya, and her take on the ladies in Europeans. She’s a Gubanova fan.

I don’t understand why they judges have treated Anastasiia they way they have this season, it’s nearly a punishment for beating Loena last year. I really admire her mental toughness and coming to Europeans and skating her absolute best. I really believe this will push her on. She needs a strong short in Worlds to be in the mix but she can do it.

Scott512

An interview with Russia’s first female world champion, the amazing Maria Butyrskaya, and her take on the ladies in Europeans. She’s a Gubanova fan.

I don’t understand why they judges have treated Anastasiia they way they have this season, it’s nearly a punishment for beating Loena last year. I really admire her mental toughness and coming to Europeans and skating her absolute best. I really believe this will push her on. She needs a strong short in Worlds to be in the mix but she can do it.
I feel the same exact way as you do. Now while Nastya has not skated as well as the Olympic season for the most part her scores were far below her performances and as the defending European champion we've never seen anything like that before from the ISU. I think you can make a case for any of the medalists at Europeans could have won the gold but I'm good with the way it ended up because Nastya skated her best ever as a senior with all the pressure on her and with the ISU intentionally disrespecting their defending champion by leaving her out of the champion's photos and putting Loena in instead. That was no accident unless they're even more incompetent than we think are.

Where can nasty a go from here? She will only top out Out at 210 points overall because they crush her PCS in the SP and the LP. I mean 31 and 66 PCS at euros as defending champion skating the most artistic and beautiful skating there is? I'm not expecting her to get mid-70s pcs like Kaori or Anna or KV or prime Aliona. But 34 and 70 PCS are certainly reasonable for a skater of Anastasia's artistry presentation and musicality. If she starts to get PCS scores like that she can get over 210 points but right now she's going to be in the 205 point range tops. To be honest it's up to the judges and they do what they want.

And yes Nastya has showed real mental toughness at Europeans for sure. And yes she does need a good SP at worlds. The last 2 world championships for Nastya she had rough short programs that set her back.

DreamSkates

Flashy and flirty LH demands more attention with all the dancy hand movements. Ending right in the judges’ faces, too has to edge any bias in her favor. Her high energy compared to the quiet grace of Anastasia - well I prefer the quiet grace. Although the sp body suit is bland (again, in stark contrast to LH).
Each skater has their own personality but a quieter skater can create attention-getting moves without having to wear a full dress of glitter.

Scott512

Flashy and flirty LH demands more attention with all the dancy hand movements. Ending right in the judges’ faces, too has to edge any bias in her favor. Her high energy compared to the quiet grace of Anastasia - well I prefer the quiet grace. Although the sp body suit is bland (again, in stark contrast to LH).
Each skater has their own personality but a quieter skater can create attention-getting moves without having to wear a full dress of glitter.
I agree with everything you said. Especially about Anastasia's quiet grace. It's just wonderful and not appreciated enough by the judges. So I agree with everything you said except maybe the bland body suit of Anastasia. It is in eye-catching Russian red if you will. :) She's built delicately and can't fill out a jumpsuit like Loena can. But that should mean nothing to the judges and experts of figure skating. And the Belgium bombshell is much more outgoing than Nastya. You call Loena flashy and flirty and she takes advantage of that like no other. Skating to the boards right by the judges gesturing all over with her hands and body smiling at the judges is not something Nastya would do. I would not want her to do that.

At Europeans I think Anastasia skated very well I would give her a letter grade of A and I would give Loena a letter grade of B which was enough for her to win. She did not skate quite as well as Skate America. Nina was also probably an A. It was really much better than the top 3 last year.

3T3T

An interesting interview from Anastasiia. Discusses worlds and her wedding.

A disappointing worlds, not sure what happened the combo in the short. She had a stronger free (some UR’s) after watching I thought she’d rocket up the standings and get in the Top 10. But, as per usual the judges were tough on PCS and she ended up 13th.

Roll on next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information