Cheer thread for Anastasia Gubanova

Scott512

Definitely there's work to do. I would love to see skaters from small feds get recognition. Anastasia deserves it. I'm glad she's stuck with it because she's so beautiful on the ice.
Agreed.

She says she's going to change both programs for next season but I would almost prefer Anastasia to keep her free skate because it's so beautiful and really a piece of art with a very beautiful dress.

MichaelK

At least Anastasia has saved her career and provied she's a world-class skater. But she skates for a small Federation now and maybe that will be held against her.
Loena just proved that it is possible to have success skating for a smaller federation. Hopefully Anastasia will be rewarded for her great skating in the next few seasons if she keeps her level up.

Scott512

Loena just proved that it is possible to have success skating for a smaller federation. Hopefully Anastasia will be rewarded for her great skating in the next few seasons if she keeps her level up.
Good point Michael. Belgium is a small Federation maybe even smaller than Georgias.

When Anastasia skated in her first senior event in three years at Finlandia her level was so close to Leonas. They have very similar skills and qualities but Loenas skating is more powerful. She is the bombshell of ladies figure skating. The judges love her. They do not love Nastya let's put it that way. They literally crushed Anastasia's beautiful lyrical delicate skating all season with absurd PCS scores. And I'm not saying she's on Loena's PCS level. That takes time. Hendrikx deserves her PCS scores of over 70 and at worlds she got over 72 points I believe. The problem is Nastya only got a 63.10 with her flawless Worlds free skate and the judges don't even hide the fact that they are robbing her even when she had the most beautiful free skate yesterday.

The key point now is Nastya needs to put in the work and time like Loena has the last few years.bI think she will do that now that she does not have the Russian Federation crushing her hopes at every turn.

Last edited:

Scott512

I am so looking forward to seeing her next year. Gorgeous skating.
And Anastasia will have opportunities galore next season with 2 grand prix assignments a couple challengers and hopefully Georgia nationals before the end of the year where they can pump up her scores at home like all federations do.

It's really nice to see Nastya coming into her own after a few frustrating seasons of being buried in her homeland.

Scott512

She's so wonderful 😍. That performance was perfect.
It was flawless. But the key to Anastasia's future in figure skating is if she gets properly rewarded for such flawless and technically difficult skates like the top skaters do. And seeing her so happy is happy so full of joy after her free skate at worlds was very rewarding in itself.

3T3T

Well done Anastasiia on a fantastic free skate. Sailing into the Top 10 and securing 2 spots for Georgia. It was my favourite skate of the event, I’ve watched it a few times since.

Of course ridiculously underscored on PCS. I would have thought 70+. If Loena could score 72 (and I enjoyed her performance and she deserves her silver medal) I don’t see why Anastasiia can’t score similar. From looking at the protocols I also think she was marked harshly on GOE, lots of 0’s, 1’s & 2’s. She received one minus from judge 4 on her spiral.

The Eurosport GB team were very impressed, commenting on her carriage, body movement, musicality. Polina Edmunds tweeted she was the only skater ‘to do two real clean Triple Triple combos’

I wonder how things will progress for her during the off season? Will she get ice time, will the rink be funded. It could be very complicated skating out of St. Petersburg and getting to international competitions next season.

I think we can regard this season as a great success, ending on a fantastic 6th place finish in her first Worlds.

Scott512

Well done Anastasiia on a fantastic free skate. Sailing into the Top 10 and securing 2 spots for Georgia. It was my favourite skate of the event, I’ve watched it a few times since.

Of course ridiculously underscored on PCS. I would have thought 70+. If Loena could score 72 (and I enjoyed her performance and she deserves her silver medal) I don’t see why Anastasiia can’t score similar. From looking at the protocols I also think she was marked harshly on GOE, lots of 0’s, 1’s & 2’s. She received one minus from judge 4 on her spiral.

The Eurosport GB team were very impressed, commenting on her carriage, body movement, musicality. Polina Edmunds tweeted she was the only skater ‘to do two real clean Triple Triple combos’

I wonder how things will progress for her during the off season? Will she get ice time, will the rink be funded. It could be very complicated skating out of St. Petersburg and getting to international competitions next season.

I think we can regard this season as a great success, ending on a fantastic 6th place finish in her first Worlds.
Many good points. I didn't think making it to number 6 was possible after Nastia struggled a bit in her short program and skating in the 1st group. I still don't know how that happened when her ranking should have put her in the 2nd group. Skating in the 1st group killed her chances of a podium or top 5. I mean I don't know if I've ever seen any one skate in the 1st Is group and end up number 6 after the free.

The skater I liken Anastasia most to is Loena. I think they are very similar with their skill set and skating although Loena is a more powerful skater. Both have great artistsry. I love that Hendrix gets PCS over 70. Loena is a blonde bombshell so the judges really notice her. ;) She has earned everything she has gotten.
But I don't think her PCS at the world championship was like 13 points better than Nastias. Probably not even 5 points better in totality. It's the same with Mariah her total PCS was about 11 points higher than Nastias at worlds. Even if people think Mariah should have a higher PCS than Nastya at worlds I don't think anyone should think it should be more than a few points at the most. I understand veteran skaters like Loena and Mariah getting respect and I hope Anastasia gets that starting next year. But I am alarmed at the PCS discrepancy for this girl against skaters
she is similar too. I think Anna as brilliant as she was at the Olympics was probably like 16 points higher in PCS than Anastasia. No doubt Anna's technical abilities and artistry are incredible. But the judges are making it clear the mountain Nastia has to climb is steep. But Damn.

Eurosport is correct about Nastias carriage, body movement and musicality. Ted Barrett was saying the same thing on the commentary I heard. Nastia has always had those qualities and so few do. Her technical ability is greater than anyone realizes. Like Polina Edmonds pointing out that Nastia did the only 2 clean triple triple at worlds among the ladies. Seeing a TES a score of only 70 was disappointing. Kaori TES was 80. While she deserved the gold medal and her speed and power are amazing she did not do 2 clean triple triples.

Anastasia will be training at her regular club in Saint Petersburg in the off season. She has a Georgia passport so all should be good as far as that goes. Think it's also time for Georgia to step up and have a national since they have a lot of good skaters now in all 4 disciplines. They have money in that country they can build good facilities.

Also will the Russian federation want Anastasia out of Saint Petersburg if they are angry that she's skating internationally and the Russian ladies are not? I don't think that will happen but I don't trust the Rusfed because they've done many things to hurt this girls career.

The issue is her coach of over 3 years. He is Russian and if Russians are still banned in the fall who will be Nastyas coach? I guess it will be someone from Georgia but I would look to Lambiel. That Nastya did as well as she did at worlds without her coach is remarkable. I know they can do video chat or zoom meetings but it's not the same.

Anastasia had a very good and very interesting 1st season for Georgia overcoming so much including covid in her 1st real season as a senior. People keep telling me her scores will rise next season and I hope that happens. But I will only believe it when I see it. Hopefully her days of skating in the 1st and 2nd group are over. That would help.

Last edited:

Scott512

I find that I enjoy her and Kurakova more than I do the ladies on the Russian team. Now if Kostornaia could find a landing spot somewhere we would see my Russian dream team.
I adore Ekaterina. She has really lovely qualities that go largely unappreciated much like Nastya.
I do notice the Polish girl's PCS is usually very low. Anastasia says welcome to the club. ;)
Is it a small federation thing or judges look at these 2 girls and think they couldn't make it in Russia so they are not worthy?

2 years ago Alyona was the most beautiful technically sound lady skater I have seen maybe ever certainly since Yuna Kim. I hope she can get some good programs at CSKA but I worry about her coaching situation there although she will be the number one lady.

What country would you like alyona to skate for? 2 years ago Alyona's PCS scores were off the charts. I hope she can get back to that level again. I would love to see her and Anastasia skate in a couple of the same competitions next season. If they are both in great form it would be an incredible sight for the eyes of figure skating fans. :)

Anastasia says she wants to change her programs for next season. I kind of hope she keeps that free skate it really is a gem and if she goes back and watches the video and I'm sure she will of her performances at Olympics and worlds she may want to keep that free skate and perfect it.

Last edited:

Scott512

She's so wonderful 😍. That performance was perfect.
Perfect but 2 judges gave her the criminally low 60.80 pcs. They should never be allowed to work a major competition again and should lose their jobs as judges. It's not funny it's unethical for arguably the most beautiful artistic and clean free skate at worlds. Anastasia of course won't say anything publicly about this this but what does the Georgia federation do about it? How do they approach the ISU and say what do you think of these atrocious PCS scores for such flawless skates? I hate that it's come to basically have to shame the governing body of figure skating and the judges into trying to be fair. And saying they just need to see more of Anastasia is not acceptable because her pcs scores are so low.

Any thoughts on whether she should keep her free skate for next season? I hope she does because she can really turn it into a gem.

Last edited:

Scott512

Make that 3-0. it was brilliant! For that matter, I am really impressed with Team Georgia over all!
Nastya is just starting to perfect that beautiful and interesting free skate. It's worth keeping for another season and finding the right short program where she can maximize her points there. She needs to start getting around or over 70 points in her SP and I hope she finds the short program that can help her do that. I would want Anastasiia to go back to her take five short program when she was at cska three years ago that was her highest scoring short program ever. Only hers die hard fans even saw this program three years ago so it will be basically new to the figure skating world. Take Five will show off her skating skills and improved movement and speed from we saw at the Olympics and worlds.

3T3T

A nice interview with Anastasia. She was prepared for the drop in PCS. Two new programmes next season. Short choreo by Leonova and the free from Molotov in a completely new style. I’m intrigued. Hope she enjoys the off season and comes back sting next season to get on some GP podiums.

Scott512

A nice interview with Anastasia. She was prepared for the drop in PCS. Two new programmes next season. Short choreo by Leonova and the free from Molotov in a completely new style. I’m intrigued. Hope she enjoys the off season and comes back sting next season to get on some GP podiums.

Thank you for this interview 3T3T. Wow I haven't posted here in a while.

It really seems like Nastia is maturing nicely. I am a little surprised she's changing her free skate since this one for this season was so wonderful she got to explore and show off all her skills and emotions. I just loved it but I'm very interested in to see what her new free skate is and how it's so different from anything she's ever done.

I think it's complete rubbish that her PCS should have to have been killed because she changed federations from a big one to a little 1. It's really unacceptable. just give someone what they deserve like in an exam or a sport with a clock. what was done to her pcs was absolutely ridiculous. And no one is saying in her first full senior season Nadtia should be at the top of the PCS like the top ladies like Anna KV Kaori and Nastias Belgian big sister Loena who are well into the 70s. Yes Nastia should have to earn her way but when she's flawless at the Olympic and worlds and is getting PCS around 63 it makes the sport look like a joke and drives fans like me away. A 67 or 68 would be okay and give her hope. Her SP PCS scores were even worse this past season most of the time in the upper 20s. SMH.

Her technical score should be higher than just 70 she's one of only few lafy skaters that actually does 2 triple triples in the long program and that should be respected more than it is technically.

Now we have another problem of Nastia probably not having her Russian coach travel with her next year to 6 or 7 competitions and the Russians still being banned from International competitions which is beyond ridiculous with all the invasions and wars wee seen this century alone.

I'm hoping the Georgia figure skating federation gets things together and they have a national championship next season where they can show off Anastasia and build-up her scores even if they have to mushroom them some like other federations have done like the one Anastasia came from. :)

Scott512

I know nothing of what is happening with Anastasia or if her Russian coach will be able to travel with her next season.

I wish the girl had more of a public profile like Little Liza or Loena. But we almost never see anything from Anastasia.

With the absurd suspension of Russian skaters
for something other countries have done in recent history I am hoping somehow Anastasia can improve enough and get fair scores where she can challenge Loena who is clearly going into the season as the number one European. I think they are similar with skills but Hendrix has been around two Olympic cycles and six or seven seasons and the judges love her. She is spectacular.

I have only a faint pulse as a figure skating fan anymore but I am rooting for Nastia I hope she does well next season and gets the scores she actually deserves and that did not happen this past season. Especially with the PCS. I'm hoping she closes the gap on Loena. I hope nasty is programs are really good they were in the Olympic season that's for sure.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I think they are similar with skills but Hendrix has been around two Olympic cycles and six or seven seasons and the judges love her. She is spectacular.

I'm not heavily invested in either skater, they're both fine for me, but Hendrixs must have a definite advantage in speed and ice coverage compared to Gubanova. Even on video, it's clear Gubanova can be quite slow.

Scott512

I'm not heavily invested in either skater, they're both fine for me, but Hendrixs must have a definite advantage in speed and ice coverage compared to Gubanova. Even on video, it's clear Gubanova can be quite slow.

Isn't it kind of hard to measure power speed and Ice coverage when you're watching on TV? I think Loena has more power and speed and ice coverage but I thought Anastasia did a good job the Olympics and worlds not looking slow she had a nice flow in her programs especially her LP. She will never fly around the ice like Kaori and Anna do but that's okay.

Part of it is just getting used to the scene and Nastia was on the international shelf for 3 years in Russia and then all of a sudden she's skating against the big girls as a senior and she can improve on everything but she needs some help from the judges too especially when she's flawless. The judges killed her PCS all season.

3T3T

Well done to Anastasiia on placing 3rd in the SP in the GP in Sheffield. She scored 66.82 and is 5.4 of 1st place. Her marks were 35.40/31.40. She lost marks on the CCoSp but was once again robbed on PCS. I thought it was a wonderful performance and deserved to be scored higher. The programme was choreographed by Alena Leonova, well done to her, beautiful work.

Looking forward to her picking up her first senior GP medal tomorrow 🤞☘️🍀

skfan

I love her skating, but I think it's tragic that one of the few skaters with truly exquisite hands has joined the legion wearing (obvious) gloves. At least her old gloves, such as at Finlandia in October, better harmonized with the skin.

The new ones with this season's SP, pink instead of flesh colored, and with a big rhinestone cuff that sticks out. really break the line of her beautiful arm and hand movements. :cry:

Maybe now that she's switched to front blade grab I spin instead of the side ankle grab (abandoning the one I find more aesthetic, sadly), she now needs more protection for her hand and fingers.

Of course I don't want anyone to be injured-- I could do without any blade grab from any skater, in any discipline. I hope she will consider the old gloves or if she must have thicker gloves, gloves that are continuous with the entire sleeve from shoulder down? Not expecting it but would be pleasantly surprised if that happens.

She was lowballed again, unfortunately. But I'm very thankful that I get to see her compete at all. Fingers crossed for her health and her opportunities going forward.

Scott512

Well done to Anastasiia on placing 3rd in the SP in the GP in Sheffield. She scored 66.82 and is 5.4 of 1st place. Her marks were 35.40/31.40. She lost marks on the CCoSp but was once again robbed on PCS. I thought it was a wonderful performance and deserved to be scored higher. The programme was choreographed by Alena Leonova, well done to her, beautiful work.

Looking forward to her picking up her first senior GP medal tomorrow 🤞☘️🍀
Her performance was much better than her scores yet again. It's just ridiculous at this point. I don't know how nastya keeps the faith. She knows going in ahead of time she has no chance to win an event like this. I just hope Anastasia get a great enjoyment out of her career because her career was almost over 2 years ago once she was buried in the Russian federation.

But to see the judges give levito at 15 so much respect and they continue to bury Anastasia at almost 20 is unbelievable to me. Isabeau has
fantastic presentation artistry and charisma. Her coach looked very angry at levito's score today I'm sure Nastya it would be thinking welcome to my world.

Levito skates right after Nastya tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how they're scored and if they're equal in performance how much higher Levitos scores will be.

Things were very up-and-down in the short program today. Alot of skaters are very close to Nastya. I just hope she can somehow come up with a bronze medal.

Last edited:

Scott512

I love her skating, but I think it's tragic that one of the few skaters with truly exquisite hands has joined the legion wearing (obvious) gloves. At least her old gloves, such as at Finlandia in October, better harmonized with the skin.

The new ones with this season's SP, pink instead of flesh colored, and with a big rhinestone cuff that sticks out. really break the line of her beautiful arm and hand movements. :cry:

Maybe now that she's switched to front blade grab I spin instead of the side ankle grab (abandoning the one I find more aesthetic, sadly), she now needs more protection for her hand and fingers.

Of course I don't want anyone to be injured-- I could do without any blade grab from any skater, in any discipline. I hope she will consider the old gloves or if she must have thicker gloves, gloves that are continuous with the entire sleeve from shoulder down? Not expecting it but would be pleasantly surprised if that happens.

She was lowballed again, unfortunately. But I'm very thankful that I get to see her compete at all. Fingers crossed for her health and her opportunities going forward.
Why would she switch where she grabs the blade? I don't see it paying off in any way with the judges in fact her scores are lower this year than last year so far.

You are correct how it's just great to see Anastasia compete at all when she was almost done 2 years ago when she was buried in the Russian federation. But it could be so much better for her with realistic scoring that she has earned. She doesn't have the ultra jumps and the big name to get huge scores and huge PCS so I don't understand why pinching her scores so severely is needed. She's never even had 70 freaking points in her SP and never close to 140 points in her lp and she showed have hit both last season. It's a 50/ 50 thing with this girl you're so happy to see her a pure skater with innate musical understanding and artistry but you want so much more for her. She has fought so hard to even still have a career almost 20 years old. so many Russian girls retired by 17, 18 or 19. Nastya is still trucking talong hanks to Georgia.

Scott512

I like watching her over and above any Russian woman period. And that is saying something. She is wonderful.
Me too. And that is saying something . Smething great about Nastya because the Russians are loaded. They run 10 deep atleast.

Today should be interesting especially if Anastasia and Isabeau skate the same quality of excellent frees skate. Levito skates right after Nasytya. It will be interesting to saeef they give Levito much higher scores than Anastasia. They both have fantastic presentation and artistry but we may see the power and strength and size difference of the figure skating federations today between Georgia and the United States. I just hope Nastya skates clean. She does not have her Russian coach with her so that's a handicap right there.

Scott512

Congrats to Nastia on her bronze medal in her first GP event. Things are so tough for her with travel and without having her coach of 3 years with her who has kept her career going so I don't think we can expect her to skate this season like she did last season at that level at the Olympics.

I hope she can perform better more at her level at her next GP event in Finland then Europeans and then worlds. Nastia was not anywhere close to the level of mahara or levito in the LP and that was a little bit disappointing. Now on to more opportunities for Anastasia. But it can't be easy for her to skate without her coach. Everyone would skate worse without their coach I think that is normal. If the ban continues Into The Following season she has to find a new coach outside of Russia.

I hope the travel to her final GP event this season in Finland will be easier and make her preparation for that event better because that's important if she scores a medal there she would have at least an outside chance for the gpf. But that will likely have a tougher field than what she faced in the UK.

Scott512

OMG I just saw the scores from Finland. I hope Anastasia is not injured. I know the judges are killing the scores this year without the Russians and I don't know why. I thought they would puff up the scores if anything without the Russian ladies. but under 170 points from Anastasia? I never expected this and the maniac American judge gave her pcs of 48. I'm not saying it should have been 68 but 48 is cruel . if you know this girl you know her presentation is always lovely.

If nastia is in emotional distress because her coach is Russian and he cannot travel with her then Georgia should give him a dual citizenship or a temporary dual citizenship or something. Everybody's performance will drop off without their coach. I hope she does one of those small challengers in December and then Georgia actually does a nationals but if not then she won't skate again for 6 weeks at Europeans. I thought for sure before this season she would make the podium at Europeans without the Russians but now that is up in the air. Scary.

Maybe she should go back to last year's programs as well they were much better received by the judges than the short program with the car crash music and the lp with the Indian music. I have learned to like both but the judges have spoken. A European medal even without the Russians would mean something to her down the road but that's in great doubt now.

I don't think any European lady will come within 15 points of Loena at Europeans.

And this isn't just about Nastia. If you look at the scores this season for the ladies or at this gp in Finland? Other than the top few ladies the rest are brutalized by the judges. It's not a good look for the sport. Are they doing this on purpose to make the Russians come back next season? The Russian GP scores for the ladies have been much lower than expected sasha got 213, SS got a 217. It's like the ISU and Russian federation are in cohoots to kill the scores this season so it's not to make the Russian ladie stand out even more than they do.

I'm not saying the scores should be blatantly increased to cover up for the loss of the Russians but don't go the opposite way with a hammer.

I also know the travel situation for Anastasia is very rough and that's probably playing a role in all of this and she's flying out of Saint Petersburg it will be hard for her to get anywhere in Europe because the EU banned Russians and while she's technically not Russian anymore flying out of SPB is a problem. I would rather have her go to a training camp in Italy or some place like that and just fly out of there for Europeans and worlds. I hope this is just a one time occurrence of a disastrous competition for a myriad of reasons. But I am concerned about my favorite skater. If her heart is not in it she should ask Georgia if she can go skate with the Russians and Belarusians. If she's not physically ready to skate because of the surgery she had in the summer then she should not be competing.

Good luck to Anastasia the rest of the season. I just don't know how much longer I could stay a fan on the sport. It's even more political now than I ever remember.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information