Grand Prix Final Preview & Catch Up

skatingguy

decently
Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
The US continues to look weaker in every discipline but dance, the only realistic medal chance.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The US continues to look weaker in every discipline but dance, the only realistic medal chance.
Huh? Ilia is the only man to have scored over 300 in both of his GPs this season. I'd say his medal chances are at least as good as Chock/Bates. And Isabeau is one of 3 women to score over 200 on the GP. I think her medal chances are slightly lower than Ilia and ChoBat, but still quite realistic.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Iโ€™m fairly certain that comment was regarding the junior line-up, since that is all that is listed here right now.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Sorry I meant at the Junior level!
Ahhh. Well, sure. Though men are men, especially at the Junior level, so Martynov's medal chances are no worse than any of the other guys in the field, lol. But Flores/Wang are a longshot for bronze, I'd guess.

Tak

Although Japanese Junior girls are made of steel (no disrespect), Japanese Junior boys are much more hit or miss, it seems. I cannot complain since Japan do have really strong Senior Mens field with Shoma, Yuma, Kao and Shun, after years of success by Daisuke and Yuzuru.
The weakness in Pairs and Dance is glaring in comparison with singles.
In Ice Dance at least, the team of Sumire Yoshida/ Ibuki Ogawara who won Japan Novice Ice Dance three years straight, will finally be age eligible to compete internationally as Juniors, next season. This partnership started when she was four and he was six, when Cathy Reed visited Kurashiki, Okayama (Hometown of Daisuke Takahashi) to introduce ice dancing, there. Evidently, it was quite a random pairing then and it is remarkable that the partnership endured for 9 long years. Their dances have that smoothness only seen with long time partnerships.
Since both Sumire and Ibuki also compete as singles skaters too, we might see them doing dance and singles. IIRC, Kristi Yamaguchi used to do both Pairs and Singles. I wonder if there were others who did Singles and Ice Dance. Kurt maybe?
Edited to add: Sumire Yoshida actually came in 6th at National Novice Women A (11-12 year olds), with jump repertoire including 3F and 3Lz (<,!). Dance fans are praying she will not be injured, and will not turn into another Mao Shimada.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Sorry I meant at the Junior level!
Which actually tends to mean very little at Seniors..... there are lots of The NEXT GREAT thing in Juniors who just don't survive the transition. Junior results don't mean automatic success of failure at the next level except POSSIBLY in Dance where politics is 90% of the score LOL

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Since both Sumire and Ibuki also compete as singles skaters too, we might see them doing dance and singles. IIRC, Kristi Yamaguchi used to do both Pairs and Singles. I wonder if there were others who did Singles and Ice Dance. Kurt maybe?
Davis and White both competed in singles and dance. Seeing Charlie do a twizzle sequence directly into a double* axel is one of my fondest memories of sectionals that year.

(*might have been a single axel)

skatingguy

decently
Sorry to anyone without a VPN but the Senior Grand Prix events are going to be blocked in some countries though I have also picked out some Challenger Series skates where appropriate for the skater/couple.

skatingguy

decently

maureenfarone

Don't forget, NBC/Peacock only have rights for domestic junior events at Sectionals and Nationals, so all of the JGPF events are watchable on the ISU's JGP YT channel.
Thanks, I'm saving the JGPF for a later day this month. I have the JGP youtube channel bookmarked.

maureenfarone

So weird - everything came up just fine for me using the search function when I typed in "figure skating."
I was searching on my roku so I went to sports and scrolled down the list. For the other events this season "Figure Skating" would show up as a sport just like "Golf". This time I had to click on "Live and Upcoming" and then go to View All and scroll through a number of lines of tiles til I found the Pairs SP mixed in with Premium League matches and then pick through all the other matches and events for the other FS comps. The Men's FS is the last comp but I had to go down 5 more lines before I found the Gala - I almost thought it wasn't going to be offered.

About 30 minutes before looking for skating on the roku I did check the Peacock website and searching on figure skating only brought up the 3 old shows from a few years ago. This morning when I use same link as yesterday https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/sports/sports-figure-skating all of the GPF events show up.
I am glad everything is listed and I hope we don't miss out on the Gala like we did with NHK. I did take a virtual trip and enjoyed the NHK Gala from Europe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information