ISU Council's Proposal to change Rule 108 - Age Limits for Single & Pair Skating / Ice Dance + ISU Medical Commission's report

Lizziebeth

Yeah, she could have faded into oblivion by running out of money to remain in competitive skating, or made the decision to quit skating at 18 to attend college because she couldn't afford to remain in the sport longer. How long could her parents have sustained two skating careers, if Michelle didn't start winning money in her early teens? And that goes for a number of young successful skaters from more humble backgrounds. Tara and Sarah both had the financial cushion to ride out a later competitive career.
Is really in anyone's best interest to be trying to earn a lot of money in competitions at the age of 15? The vast majority of skaters are not doing that. If the age limits are known, skaters will train for the events they are eligible for.

After seeing what happened to Valieva, who is a real talent, this decision is needed.

VGThuy

Yeah, she could have faded into oblivion by running out of money to remain in competitive skating, or made the decision to quit skating at 18 to attend college because she couldn't afford to remain in the sport longer. How long could her parents have sustained two skating careers, if Michelle didn't start winning money in her early teens? And that goes for a number of young successful skaters from more humble backgrounds. Tara and Sarah both had the financial cushion to ride out a later competitive career.
Or she would have never started knowing that her first Olympics could be at 21, but Kwan always stated she wanted to compete at the 2002 and even 2006 Olympics even when she was doing interviews in Lillehammer. Money is always going to be an issue, but the answer to that shouldn't just be lowering the age limits. There are always other options to look at.

I often wondered what did skaters do during the figures era when ladies didn't start becoming competitive until their late teens-early 20s? I know skating was seen as a sport only the privileged few could take part in, but surely not every western skater (as opposed to the state-funded ones back in the day) was rich or privileged. Maybe for a talent like Kwan, who received a scholarship early on for her and her sister to live in Lake Arrowhead and be taught by Frank Carroll, the USFS and maybe their skating clubs could have found a way to fund them, but we also know maybe not and there will always be a risk of losing a talent because of lack of funding. But, truth be told, funding would be a problem far before a skater turns 15-17. That's why I don't think the age limit thing should be an issue regarding financial roadblocks and accessibility that exist in this sport.

This leads me to a question I've been harboring in my head. There's way less money-making and touring opportunities these days than there was during the post-whack period. How do so many "journeymen/women" be able to afford to keep competing for as long as they do? Even the top skaters aren't raking in the big bucks to keep doing it. They seem to be funding it somehow.

soogar

Is really in anyone's best interest to be trying to earn a lot of money in competitions at the age of 15? The vast majority of skaters are not doing that. If the age limits are known, skaters will train for the events they are eligible for.

After seeing what happened to Valieva, who is a real talent, this decision is needed.
Valieva is one skater. I remember this board when Mao was age ineligible and how upset people were because Mao could have won in 2006. She had a long career, but never won a gold medal. Carolina and Tukt are two skaters who had long careers and were competing as teens. In fact, many skaters, even from figures era, starting competing at 15 years old. They just didn't win anything because of figures. I feel bad for these kids because it's a roll of the dice how their careers will peak. People try not to get injured but athletes do outgrow the sport. That's why there is so much attrition at junior level. However if they are great at that moment, why not be able to win an OGM. THere were 12 years olds in Japan competing in skateboarding and winning OGMS.

gkelly

I often wondered what did skaters do during the figures era when ladies didn't start becoming competitive until their late teens-early 20s? I know skating was seen as a sport only the privileged few could take part in, but surely not every western skater (as opposed to the state-funded ones back in the day) was rich or privileged.

Some who were talented were lucky enough to find sponsors. Some worked part-time jobs, parents scrimped and saved, and they made do with less ice time than the more privileged skaters. Some just quit or turned pro before they accomplished their competitive goals.

This leads me to a question I've been harboring in my head. There's way less money-making and touring opportunities these days than there was during the post-whack period. How do so many "journeymen/women" be able to afford to keep competing for as long as they do? Even the top skaters aren't raking in the big bucks to keep doing it. They seem to be funding it somehow.

Fortunately for today's skaters, as opposed to those from the figures/strict amateurism era, they are now allowed to earn money by coaching, performing, etc. And there is prize money if they can make it to that level.

But there are definitely fewer opportunities for US skaters than 20-25 years ago.

Debbie S

A lot of top skaters do come from relatively well-off families, or at least well-off enough to pay what's needed for them to be competitive. A lot of skaters teach/coach or have other jobs at the rink, or work retail/Starbucks/waiting tables to help fund their training. They may have local sponsors who provide them with assistance in exchange for promotions...ex: Madison Hubbell had some arrangement with a car dealership in her hometown where she got a car and then made some appearances at the dealership. Boot and blade companies may give equipment for a discount in exchange for appearing in ads/testimonials. Some skaters (Karen Chen, H/D) may have a friend or family member who can make their costumes for less than a professional seamstress. In some cases, a skater might be able to get discounts on ice time (IIRC, MK got free ice at Lake Arrowhead) or may receive some financial assistance or award from their skating club.

USFS does have a financial aid program but I believe skaters have to be at a certain skating/achievement level (in addition to need) to qualify.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But those are skaters with some public profile and "name", and most of them have national championships and/or international medals. I think what @VGThuy was referencing (correct me if I'm wrong) is the skaters who are placing near the top at nationals but not getting medals, and maybe getting less prominent international assignments. They're much less likely to be getting sponsors or significant external financial support, and it costs just as much for them to train as it does for the skaters with national/international visibility and medals. So how do they do it?

My guess is coaching and doing seminars and other guest appearances, but there's only so much of that they can do without compromising their own training time.

SkateFanBerlin

Interestingly, here's how the new age rule would have affected past champions:

Michelle Kwan's 1996 world and national title gone, as are Tara Lipinski's Olympic, world and national title, Sonia Henie's 1st Olympic title and two world titles, two of Tenley Albright's national championships, Carol Heiss's 1st World Championship, 2 of Peggy Fleming's national titles, Linda Fratianne's 1st world and national titles, and Elaine Zayak's World and national titles.

And get rid of Oksana Baiul's Olympic and world titles, Sarah Hughes' Olympic title, Alina Zagitova's Olympic and world titles, and no 2016 world title for Evgenia Medvedeva.

All stripped away. Changes the history of figure skating considerably, doesn't it?
Once age became something to exploit, a change was necessary. Personally, I never liked young girl skaters. I certainly didn't like this last batch. I'm ok with 15 yos, 16 yos having to hang in there to get the big prizes. It'll be a different landscape now.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I remember being pissed that Mao couldn’t compete in Turin, she might have won. But after seeing the damage these last ten years, I’ve changed my mind. Med is the one I really mourn, she was such a great storyteller on ice, she should have gone so much longer.

Watching the top women in France was such a treat, other than Alysa they all would have been able to skate under the new rules.

Debbie S

@overedge The options I mentioned can apply to anyone qualifying for Nats. Depending on where they are from, just competing at Nats could be a big deal and grab people's attention. USFS has (or at least used to) some info somewhere on its website on how competitive skaters could go about getting sponsors. And part-time jobs, whether skating-related or not, are an avenue for many.

And I imagine for skaters who aren't quite in the range for int'l assignments, they and their families likely make tough decisions about how many hours of training, how many lessons, etc, based on what's realistic for their skating.

bardtoob

I feel bad for these kids because it's a roll of the dice how their careers will peak.

It's not a new phenomena.

In Outliers: The Story of Success, Malcolm Gladwell considers the circumstances that lead to success. The first half of the book looks closely at how opportunities matter more in the lives of successful people than hard work or raw talent. The second half of the book focuses on cultural legacies: behavioral tendencies rooted in their ancestral past.

Part One examines the role of opportunity in the lives of extremely successful people. Gladwell’s first example is the Canadian Hockey League, the world’s most competitive youth hockey league. Since the cutoff date for the Canadian leagues that serve the youngest players is January 1, those born in the first part of the calendar year are much larger and more coordinated than their peers. The larger and more coordinated kids are given more playing time and better coaching, and thus become better players by the time they reach the top league. An overwhelming majority of Canadian professional hockey players have birthdays in January, February or March.

Gladwell proposes that 10,000 hours of practice is needed to master a skill, even for prodigies like Mozart. Bill Joy, Bill Gates, and the Beatles all worked hard to achieve success but benefited from opportunities they did not create. Joy, one of the founders of Sun Microsystems, happened to attend one of the first colleges in the world with a time-sharing terminal. In graduate school, he had a terminal in his room, where he spent all of his free time programming. Gates happened to attend a private high school with a time-sharing terminal connected to a mainframe in Seattle. He also was able to spend all of his free time programming. Early on, the Beatles were hired to play long shows day after day in Hamburg, Germany.

Birth year or era is another form of opportunity. Gates and Joy (as well as other early programmers) all reached the end of their teen years just as personal computers became available to the public. In another example, fourteen of the top seventy-five richest people in the history of the world happened to be alive at the same time, in the same country: the United States in the mid-1800s.

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/outliers/summary/

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Outliers is shady interpretations of the science, at best. For example it is very selective in its interpretations of the 10,000 hours research - even the authors of the original research that cited the 10,000 hours figure disagreed with how Gladwell presented the implications of their research. I wouldn't use it as a reliable source of information on this topic.

Age is just one thing that's a crapshoot in skating. It's not the only thing. There were lots of really good ice dance teams who had the misfortune to be competing at the same time that Torvill and Dean were competing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's generally thought in the US that to be a competitive skater, you should get your double axel by age 10. With the new age limits, that may change, but I doubt it since that was the school of thought back when the Ladies skaters were doing nothing harder than 3Z. This means that skaters start early, often as early as four years old, and put in a lot of ice time, get a lot of coaching, and go to a lot of local competitions before they even are at a level that anyone not local would have heard of them.

If they can't afford that, they fall by the wayside with only a very few exceptions. I just don't see how raising the age limit is going to suddenly make skating unaffordable when it wasn't affordable before.

The only difference now is that you maybe have a few extra years before you get to the Senior level. But if you look at the majority of skaters all over the world, how many were getting to go to Senior Internationals at the age of 15 anyway? That means that many of these kids are going to have absolutely no change in their career trajectory.

bardtoob

Outliers is shady interpretations of the science, at best. For example it is very selective in its interpretations of the 10,000 hours research - even the authors of the original research that cited the 10,000 hours figure disagreed with how Gladwell presented the implications of their research. I wouldn't use it as a reliable source of information on this topic.

Age is just one thing that's a crapshoot in skating. It's not the only thing. There were lots of really good ice dance teams who had the misfortune to be competing at the same time that Torvill and Dean were competing.

My point the when of age has always been a talking point regarding setting some up for success.

I agree about the shady part regarding the 10K hours.

soogar

It's generally thought in the US that to be a competitive skater, you should get your double axel by age 10. With the new age limits, that may change, but I doubt it since that was the school of thought back when the Ladies skaters were doing nothing harder than 3Z. This means that skaters start early, often as early as four years old, and put in a lot of ice time, get a lot of coaching, and go to a lot of local competitions before they even are at a level that anyone not local would have heard of them.

If they can't afford that, they fall by the wayside with only a very few exceptions. I just don't see how raising the age limit is going to suddenly make skating unaffordable when it wasn't affordable before.

The only difference now is that you maybe have a few extra years before you get to the Senior level. But if you look at the majority of skaters all over the world, how many were getting to go to Senior Internationals at the age of 15 anyway? That means that many of these kids are going to have absolutely no change in their career trajectory.
Imagine Michelle Kwan sitting in Juniors for 4 years when she was already a top 10 skater at 13. With the age limits in gymnastics, there are plenty of gymnasts who have long junior careers and just burn out or don’t make it to senior. At least they have NCAA gymnastics to go to but figure skaters don’t really have that option. If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Russia want to move the age up when the United States had all of these baby ballerinas and that didn’t gain traction? I think there were other measures they could have taken to protect children’s bodies like demonetize Junior competitions (for performance) and not have streaming coverage of Juniors. I think the ISU push to stream juniors plus Ted’s glowing commentary and focus on the Russian juniors really fueled the push to get children to do more technical content. Even in the United States, when Alysa was landing the quad lutz and triple axel, they pushed her to the forefront. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the reason she is so burnt out. I think that with an age limit, Alysa would not have last another 4 years. In fact, the United States touted its baby ballerinas long before Russia and there are a lot of skaters who did not have long careers. Only Sasha survived out of that group of girls.

VGThuy

They did get an age limit raised to 15 by July 1 when they saw the likes of Tara and Michelle doing 7 triples competing against the "old guard". Tara was allowed to bypass that rule for the 1996-97 season because she had competed at 1996 Worlds before the age change happened. For 1999-2002, I believe they had an exception where if a skater medaled at Junior Worlds, they'd be allowed to compete at ISU senior events even if she was under the age limit, which was how Sarah Hughes was able to compete at 1999 Worlds at the age of 13, and why Sasha was not able to compete at 2000 Worlds. Then they closed that exception, but then allowed 14 year olds to compete in ISU senior events, just not ISU championships.

All of the above sounded like some strange Frankenstein product that happened with concessions and compromises were made.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Interestingly, here's how the new age rule would have affected past champions:

Michelle Kwan's 1996 world and national title gone, as are Tara Lipinski's Olympic, world and national title, Sonia Henie's 1st Olympic title and two world titles, two of Tenley Albright's national championships, Carol Heiss's 1st World Championship, 2 of Peggy Fleming's national titles, Linda Fratianne's 1st world and national titles, and Elaine Zayak's World and national titles.

And get rid of Oksana Baiul's Olympic and world titles, Sarah Hughes' Olympic title, Alina Zagitova's Olympic and world titles, and no 2016 world title for Evgenia Medvedeva.

All stripped away. Changes the history of figure skating considerably, doesn't it?
Don't forget Gordeeva and Grinkov's 1986 and 1987 World titles and their first OGM in 1988.

starrynight

I wonder if this might help some of the girls who go through puberty at a man early or normal time actually have a chance in the sport?

Plenty of girls now have periods at 11 or 12 and are quite fully grown at 13.

I know now that puberty blocking drugs are what meant there were so many girls that somehow were 14 or 15 without a touch of puberty.

But still, if everyone has to wait to 17 or 18 (if the age falls on the other side of the cutoff) then maybe it will mean that puberty doesn’t end a career now.

I also appreciate this means that skaters get to grow up and become people before seniors start. 17 or 18 is an age most finish high school and start working or leave home for study. It’s a good adult age of responsibility and also an age where they’ve had a chance to grow into their own skin, learn about themselves and hopefully had a proper schooling experience. I think this is going to be very good.

It’s also an age where I’ve noticed a lot of skaters (even the ones trained by Eteri) start to develop independence and stand up for themselves. If senior careers only start at this age, I think more well rounded skaters will be competing.

Last edited:

Trillian

Do gymnastics fans go back through the entire history of the sport and itemize every result that would have been different if the current age rules were in place? I guess I don’t see the point. We get the champions we get under whatever rules are in place in a given era, and different age restrictions are only one of many possible what-ifs.

There’s a lot of speculation about what would have happened to some of the youngest champions if they hadn’t been able to exercise their god-given right to twirl on television at thirteen years old or whatever the opponents of the rule change are complaining about. But what about the flipside? What about the ones who might not have burned out so fast, who might not have been exploited by abusive coaches, who might have been able to compete years longer than they did? What beautiful skating did we never see because we put so much pressure on young kids to do every possible thing at the earliest possible moment?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Do gymnastics fans go back through the entire history of the sport and itemize every result that would have been different if the current age rules were in place?
Probably. :lol:

I guess I don’t see the point. We get the champions we get under whatever rules are in place in a given era, and different age restrictions are only one of many possible what-ifs.
I don't see the point either. At least not when you are going back 20, 30, 40 years. That's a lifetime in Sport.

So I used to agree with Kristi. But I saw what raising the age limit did for gymnastics and I'm hopeful it will have similar positive effects for skating.

soogar

Interesting that Kristy tweeted this since I believe she was 17 when she made her senior debut and 21 when she won the Olympics.
Probably. :lol:

I don't see the point either. At least not when you are going back 20, 30, 40 years. That's a lifetime in Sport.

So I used to agree with Kristi. But I saw what raising the age limit did for gymnastics and I'm hopeful it will have similar positive effects for skating.
The age limit in gymnastics just hid the ones who didn't make it. I also think that the sport lost a lot of its grace when the participants became older. No matter how much power the older athletes have, they can't mimic the natural agility and grace of the younger athletes. They have the strength without the bulk of muscle. Nadia had all that agility and grace that was inspiring as a 14 year old. She was still a good gymnast but not quite the same as she became older.

I also feel the same about Julia Lipnitskaya. She may not have had a long career, however at least she (and the fans as well) will always have that moment she had in Sochi in the team event with her Schindler's List program. I still watch that program to this day.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Interesting that Kristy tweeted this since I believe she was 17 when she made her senior debut and 21 when she won the Olympics.

The age limit in gymnastics just hid the ones who didn't make it. I also think that the sport lost a lot of its grace when the participants became older. No matter how much power the older athletes have, they can't mimic the natural agility and grace of the younger athletes. They have the strength without the bulk of muscle. Nadia had all that agility and grace that was inspiring as a 14 year old. She was still a good gymnast but not quite the same as she became older.

I also feel the same about Julia Lipnitskaya. She may not have had a long career, however at least she (and the fans as well) will always have that moment she had in Sochi in the team event with her Schindler's List program. I still watch that program to this day.
Eh, and the program that I will watch every time it comes up on a social media feed is Savchenko/Massot's Pyeongchang FS.

I think it's rather pointless to compare gymnastics to figure skating in this regard because there are plenty of lyrical, agile skaters who have come into their own, competitively, at an older age - like Loena Hendrickx the past few seasons. For as long as I've followed the sport, beautiful skating is not and has not been dependent on being a waif. That's merely one aesthetic that some fans prefer, while others prefer skaters with a more muscular body type.

Last edited:

Trillian

The age limit in gymnastics just hid the ones who didn't make it. I also think that the sport lost a lot of its grace when the participants became older. No matter how much power the older athletes have, they can't mimic the natural agility and grace of the younger athletes.

So just to be clear, we have medical professionals and child psychologists who support raising the age minimum because there’s documentation that younger athletes are at risk for serious health issues and exploitation when they compete at the elite level, but we’re supposed to ignore all of that because some of you only find prepubescent bodies attractive?

Gross.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So just to be clear, we have medical professionals and child psychologists who support raising the age minimum because there’s documentation that younger athletes are at risk for serious health issues and exploitation when they compete at the elite level, but we’re supposed to ignore all of that because some of you only find prepubescent bodies attractive?

Gross.
Additionally, while Kristi Yamaguchi might not support the age increase, the Athletes Commission's poll showed a super-majority of support for increasing the age minimum. While former athletes are entitled to their view, they aren't competing now and society has changed drastically since the good dentist's daughter toiled away in relative anonymity in Fremont and San Jose. Would she have been able to compete senior level nationally and internationally in both singles and pairs nowadays? Doubtful.

Seerek

Going way back, other examples of very young entrants

Sonia Morgenstern - 13 years old at 1968 Olympics
Elena Vodorezova - 12 years old at 1976 Olympics
Kristina Czako - 13 years old at 1992 Olympics

On the men's side, Scott Allen won his Olympic and World medal before he turned 17.

bardtoob

Nadia had all that agility and grace that was inspiring as a 14 year old. She was still a good gymnast but not quite the same as she became older.
Nadia was the 1979 European AA Champion, at age 18. She was also an Olympic AA silver medalist at age 19.

I think Kristi's point is that the problem that lead to this result is doping, not age, so in effect the real problem was not addressed.

Vagabond

Going way back, other examples of very young entrants

Kristina Czako - 13 years old at 1992 Olympics

On the men's side, Scott Allen won his Olympic and World medal before he turned 17.
Nu?

If Kamila Valieva had to spend as much time as they did on school figures, she might never have landed a triple jump.

:grandpa:

bardtoob

These two did still win their European and World medals at ages 17 and 18, so all they would have missed out on was being the kid novelty entrant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information