Korean skating news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
I truly wish Hyejin Cho well in her new partnership - I thought she really showed a lot of promise in her first season of skating pairs. :)

Cho has a YT channel - link to her her latest vlog, uploaded before yesterday's announcement (shows her returning to the ice after a right ankle injury and landing 3S & 3T after 14:30 with brief glimpses of her & Harley practicing a double twist off ice & a throw 3Lz at the very end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyQbfBESIcQ

Last edited:

ryfyr

Yes -- Dabin hadn't competed much since 2019 due to personal reasons, injury, and corona had originally planned to retire in the 2021-22, but wanted to compete in Universiade 2023 (she had been assigned in 2021, but the pandemic...) so she resumed training. In the process, she realised she missed competing and said she had the new goal of trying to restore her form from the 2018 olympics.

ryfyr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhQjNuQv7w0&ab_channel=AlbinaFigureskating

Is this the Younghyun who was still in juniors two years ago? His presentation is very good.
Yep! Cha Younghyun just aged out of juniors this season and, along with Kim Hyungyeom (still junior, but also has been to some senior challengers), Lim Juheon (also jr., but senior eligible), and Kim Hangil (aged out of jr., competed in a challenger last season), are considered likely 3rd spot contenders for both 4CC and Worlds this year.

Youngcha has also performed in a traditional Korean tightrope (외줄타기), following his father, and performs a gala inspired by the tightroping!

ryfyr

Does Junhwan become "Juncha"?
Haha not really -- Jun has other nicknames that koreans usually call him. Mostly some variation of 주나니 (junani) or 주난 (junan) which is kinda a cute way of saying his name. Sihyeong becomes 셩리 (syeongli), Yelim is 옒 (yelm) and haein is 핸 (haen).

Apart from this, Jun is often also called 왕자 (prince, for both his looks and bc Yuna is Queen), Yelim is 장군 (general, the way she exited the rink after bowing), and Haein is called 뿅아리 (a cute way of saying baby chicken)

Last edited:

On My Own

Jia's SP from Linz.

That was a beautifully choreographed final layback, followed by a completely hideous "difficult illusion exit", so all congratulations go to the ISU on their amazingness. She should do it like Yuna and accelerate on her haircutter to drop that garbage feature.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub

Jia's SP from Linz.

That was a beautifully choreographed final layback, followed by a completely hideous "difficult illusion exit", so all congratulations go to the ISU on their amazingness. She should do it like Yuna and accelerate on her haircutter to drop that garbage feature.
However, the entry into the first spin is divine.

Sylvia

TBD
Jia Shin's photos, including after the awards ceremony today, plus a closeup of her GOLD medal in Linz: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwqkuPkrYi1/

Her lovely FS: [video not yet uploaded on the JGP channel]

Minsol Kwon won the BRONZE, pulling up from 8th in SP to place 2nd in the FS (115.83; 4 of 7 triples called clean): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS1b1PJFWHw
The other 3 triples she landed were 3Lze and 2nd half 3Fq+3T<.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Jia's SP from Linz.

FLAWLESS”…ridiculous graphics.

On My Own

^^^ Thanks for pointing it out - will try and get that fixed.
Also if you can use your superpowers and get them to permanently shut down the comment section that would be amazing, because I don't want to read "cowri" again ever in my life.

On My Own

It is fantastic to see so many Korean men doing well on the JGP. Hopefully they will continue to deliver when they turn senior.

Good to see another Asian country fielding so many juniors with potential. Hope China can follow suit in the next few years.

On My Own

K-pop has reached Korean girls :D

Technically, Kim Yuna already did a kpop duet all the way back in 2011.

IU's very famous in South Korea now.

Kim Yuna's Kiss and Cry I believe also featured a 10 year old Cha Jun Hwan as the "pro" skater for some 10 year old celebrity.

Oh also, Sunghoon from ENHYPEN used to compete as a novice!

The figure skater in the video is Eunsoo Lim

Very happy she's getting work, by the way.

Last edited:

On My Own

There's nothing remotely waltz-like about Cha's SP (and what the heck are those whirlwind arms right in front of the judges during the steps supposed to indicate)... whatever. Don't expect that Batman LP to be any better, but I'm sure the crowd that's getting crazier will eat it up.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
It currently looks like 3 women and 2 men will qualify for the JGP Final (ETA that, after seeing Karen's reply to me below, I'll return to my original wording here ;) - "with Minkyu Seo a likely men's alternate"). ISU bios are linked from the names below.

2023 JGP Women (7 have competed; 2 to go):
Jia SHIN 15 (201.33) + 15 (200.74) = 30 (402.07)
Yuseong KIM 13 (189.92) + 13 (176.98) = 26 (366.90)
Minsol KWON 11 (165.93) + 13 (183.52) = 24 (349.45)
Seojin YOUN 7 (175.77) + 11 (176.31) = 18 (352.08)
Heesue HAN 11 (173.99) + 0 (145.65) = 11 (319.64)
Yujae KIM 11 (183.65)
Jeongyul HWANG 7 (172.42)
Scheduled to make her JGP debut in Armenia:
Nayeon KO
Eunbi PARK

2023 JGP Men (4 have competed; 1 to go):
Juheon LIM 13 (217.95) + 15 (221.55) = 28 (439.50)
Hyungyeom KIM 13 (211.76) + 15 (222.15) = 28 (433.91)
Minkyu SEO 7 (196.12) + 15 (231.30) = 22 (427.42)
Jaekeun LEE 5 (193.43)
Scheduled to make his JGP debut in Armenia:
Hyunseo PARK

Ice Dance (1 team):
Jinny KIM / Namu LEE 11 (139.32) + 0 (120.90) = 11 (260.22)

Which ones have skated your favorite JGP performance(s) so far? (please post a link or links if you can :)) Or you can also post link(s) in this thread:

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Seo doesn't have a chance at qualifying in the Men for the JGPF. He's in 7th after Gdansk and Martynov could push him down to 8th.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information