Skate America 2023 - Rhythm Dance- “All My Edges Live in Texas”

rfisher

Let the skating begin
wasn't reading the thread while watching so maybe this was mentioned .... but is it just me who can barely hear the music? I got my laptop at 100% on the speaker thing and I can barely hear the music at all. I'm watching on ISU, not Peacock. Is sound better on Peacock? :(
No and I'm listening through a quality sound bar. The sound engineer doesn't know what they're doing.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Mini-grace commented that “all they [Chock/Bates] are doing is twerking.”

This was an interesting field where many of the stronger performers didn’t have the strongest skating skills and vice versa.

Dobre

Almost +3.00 GOE (+2.99) for Lajoie & Lagha's double level 1 step sequence:rolleyes:. Tied for the lowest level step sequence of the event.

Brilliant, judges. Just brilliant:p.

----

Other than the oft-illogical GOE, I had a lot of fun watching the programs from this event. Great field.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I had to find a cheap portable soundbar for my laptop. It's small and connects by USB port or blue tooth. The sound issue is on the ISU stream and not completely gone. It's still muddy but I hear things a lot better now.
Honestly it's making me glad I was able to bluetooth my AppleTV box to my JBL speaker. Normally I rely on my TV speakers because our house isn't very big and I'm trying not to afflict my family with what I'm watching but the my parents are out of town this weekend and my brother lives in the basement so I can have the better speaker going.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
All these '80s programs has made me have to applaud the ISU for trolling us this season. My god. The '80s had a lot of ubiquitous music and movies across North America and Western Europe-- further when you think of Madonna and Michael Jackson. These songs bring nearer and probably visceral memories for most of us on FSU, as none of us were alive when Bizet took the world by storm with Carmen.

Anyways. I love every program I've seen, and can't wait for this season to end so I can forget them immediately. (A million tears that Papadakis & Cizeron's Fame came too early)
Browns was my favorite.
Shockingly, mine too. They were solid, and their fresh/fun vibe works with the music. Possibly I just enjoyed their less abrasive costumes, too.

Smart & Dieck were a close second. I LOVE her, and Blondie is an inspired choice. I do half-wonder if they received feedback that her previous costume read as a STEP too trashy? She looks great in the blue unitard, but I think her old getup worked better.

yeslek

This program is making me think "The Disney Channel does Queen". I expected a lot more in terms of theme from Chock & Bates.

Even with the score, nothing about this performance screamed "unbeatable". Twizzles had issues, the program was fairly empty. They benefit a lot from the new rules that has lowered program complexity so they can focus on selling it.

Like, even during this replay, you can see how they're trying to disguise their lack of coverage in the twizzles. The actual turns cover very little ice, but they push hard in between to gain speed and cover ice between the actual rotations.
So much disagree

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Can someone who remembers the 80s comment on this costume?
Put it this way, my reaction was "This is '80s, how exactly". But only Lajoie/Lagha came close to capturing the sheer awfulness of 80s 'fashion'. As someone else said it's very much what people imagine that decade was like.
I thought I was going to like it since I was a teenager in the 1980s. I am in no teknik, so I am surprised that I keep thinking that choosing an era instead of a rhythm makes it harder to develop coherent ice dance programs. Like they must have had to work extra hard not to fall into making exhibition programs. Or something. I'm not sure. But this experiment with pandering to my demographic, I'm ready to say that it doesn't work so well.
All of this!

Maybe by the end of the season I'll get over the fact that the decade of my teens is somehow nostalgic to people when it really only happened the other day. :lol:

I did enjoy watching, and hearing music that was original artists and not covers.

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I say this as a Lajoie/Lagha fan... what the HELL are those outfits?
I think they are attending a teenage 1980's Halloween party, dressed as the characters from the Thriller video. The flimsy quality of Zach's jacket is a dead giveaway that it is a Halloween costume. ;)
What in gay hell is Lopareva wearing?

Grumpy cat as Michael Jackson? I AM ☠️.
I think Lopareva is dressed as a female French mime, but despite looking at lots of images of Mylene Farmer, I can't find one where she did a schtick as a mime. I guess I am not looking hard enough. She did wear a shirt with vertical black and white stripes, at least once though.

Nmsis

I think Lopareva is dressed as a female French mime, but despite looking at lots of images of Mylene Farmer, I can't find one where she did a schtick as a mime. I guess I am not looking hard enough. She did wear a shirt with vertical black and white stripes, at least once though.
She's a puppet in a twisted Pinocchio story.
Some of early Farmer's videoclips were twisted fairy tales. The videoclip of Tristana (middle music) for example is Snow White set in Russia/Eastern Europe.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
I feckin loved it :rofl:
Me too.

Even though I’m a huge fan of LaLa, I initially thought I would hate it.

But they brought everything 80s to that RD.

The OTT energy, the camp, the cheese factor, the fun. It was all there.

10 out of 10.

Also, Lopareva really nailed the quirk factor that was inherent in the 80s.

Brissaud needs to get into it more but 9 out of 10 for me.

Those were the best two RDs for me.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Even though I’m a huge fan of LaLa, I initially thought I would hate it.

But they brought everything 80s to that RD.

The OTT energy, the camp, the cheese factor, the fun. It was all there.
I agree that they brought all that. I enjoy watching them as I just love them. But I feel like this RD didn't show off their ice dance talents as I would like. It needs more dance added to the camp, the cheese, the fun.

The Browns is my idea of a dance, about the dance, the gliding across the ice, the rhythm. And it suits them so well. Admittedly, its one of the 80s RDs that has music that is accessible to me. (Elton John is 70s even if this is his 80s stuff :p )

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The Browns is my idea of a dance, about the dance, the gliding across the ice, the rhythm. And it suits them so well. Admittedly, its one of the 80s RDs that has music that is accessible to me. (Elton John is 70s even if this is his 80s stuff :p )
To me the Browns felt very low energy in the area and also they skate very small in all their movements. Like their glide is ok, but not the best.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
The Mrazeks are the Nowak/Kolasinski of Czech.Rep. They are proficient but gosh, they are so boring and have so little taste, it's sad.
They're just babies coming up to seniors. I'm hoping they'll develop a stronger sense of self and style as they grow and mature.

I really liked the Greens and really didn't like the Parsons. It didn't change.
I think She-Parsons and He-Green were the stronger skaters in both those pairings, and then look what we got. For Green/Parsons, it's the size similarity that worries me the most (and his twizzles :p) because I'm not sure their lifts will ever look as good as the teams with larger size differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information