Skate America 2023 - Rhythm Dance- “All My Edges Live in Texas”

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yeah, he definitely flubbed the middle twizzle and they look half-baked as a whole. Yeah yeah, first competition of the season.

I don't know.. I usually don't like their RDs and I only like the FD's if they are super avant-garde. Otherwise, they are very ordinary to me with no oomph to any of their skating. Even in this field, it's not nearly as 'big' and outward as some of the teams.

I don't think this program gives them any identity, it's just so expected.

rant over, I guess.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Not really into the G/P program...yet. I feel like it's the type of program that will grow on me by the end of the season with more speed, polish, and some tweaking here and there. I approve of the idea of a Scorpions RD.

I think overall the RDs are a little rough, but with some feedback, Worlds is going to be like so totally rad.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Okay, now the important thing. Should I nap for an hour and miss the beginning of pairs so that I can be well rested for the men and ladies?

skatingguy

decently
Chock, Madison/Bates, Evan 🇺🇸
Coach: Patrice Lauzon
Music: Queen medley

MiStW4+MiStM2
SqTwW4+SqTwM4
Pattern Step 3
Choreo Rhythm Seq
Rotational Lift 4

Right off the top they nail the style, and the feel of the music. This event was book-ended by a couple of great ice dance divas, and the rest of the field should be paying attention. I'm not sure why the level 2 for Evan on the midline step - will have to see the protocols.

84.87 = 1st Place

Last edited:

Primorskaya

Madison's dress looks like it has literally been cut from the jacket Freddie Mercury wore for the Live at Wembley :rofl:

This is pretty good actually, but not the most inspired. Queen is just too obvious, you can't make it seem fresh.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
This program is making me think "The Disney Channel does Queen". I expected a lot more in terms of theme from Chock & Bates.

Even with the score, nothing about this performance screamed "unbeatable". Twizzles had issues, the program was fairly empty. They benefit a lot from the new rules that has lowered program complexity so they can focus on selling it.

Like, even during this replay, you can see how they're trying to disguise their lack of coverage in the twizzles. The actual turns cover very little ice, but they push hard in between to gain speed and cover ice between the actual rotations.

Sally1214

Madison and Evan did not disappoint. Love her dress. Poor Evan ... it's hard to focus on him with HER doing everything she does so well but I'm assuming he did quite well overall (one level2 notwithstanding).

VGThuy

Yeah, he definitely flubbed the middle twizzle and they look half-baked as a whole. Yeah yeah, first competition of the season.

I don't know.. I usually don't like their RDs and I only like the FD's if they are super avant-garde. Otherwise, they are very ordinary to me with no oomph to any of their skating. Even in this field, it's not nearly as 'big' and outward as some of the teams.

I don't think this program gives them any identity, it's just so expected.

rant over, I guess.

I think C/B need a new program, too. That was so slow, there were parts that barely moved.

ETA: That lame "dance" she did in the middle.

C/b also pretty slow. Fw just ok. They just seem to have very small turns is that makes sense. 1st half much stronger. Evan Bates about 10000 times more charismatic in person. It's unsettling.
Honestly, this is how they’ve been their entire career. I think I grew to like them because of their personalities and they grew much more confident after moving to Montreal where they received more coherent, non-Igor programs.

peibeck

Simply looking
Glad to see that final lift looking stable after their disaster in practice this morning.

It's a fun program, but nothing really different for them. Some interesting arm holds, and pretty decent speed for them. Will be interesting to see how they develop it throughout the season.

ilovesalchows

Some burgundy socks over the boot top would pull it all together.
Better yet, three pairs of socks in different colors layered over each other and scrunched down. Worn with skates made up to look like white keds with no laces and definitely not the white canvas sneakers from Pennys my mom tried to convince me where the same shoe.

But yes, lots of these costumes were what people imagined the 80s were like. Though not an acid wash in sight!

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
There's something very Glee about C/B's skating. Caroline needs to take Maddie out and show her the proper way to rock and roll crackwhore her way through this year's RD. That's not a dig btw, I love me some good 80s heroin-chic eyeliner.

Caroline has the Midwest underage girl at the club on Metal Night DOWN (after Amateur Mike Night/Poetry Slam finishes, of course) Much respect.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Bock are so slow and boring, my lord. The judges may not be willing to check their delusions about getting an Olympic gold medal just by hanging in there longer than all the other teams from their era, but Evan's back will NOT make it to Milano. Madison needs to accept her fate and become an athleisure entrepreneur or Marie-France's personal assistant already.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Watching this reminded me of why I don’t like skate America. Especially for dance. It feels like 90% of these pairs just got their program and are still trying to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information