The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

barbarafan

Level 2 on the twizzles after a fall ? Does anyone know why ? H/D's and C/B's were level one at world last year.

Do not know for sure...but the twizzles were very fast and intricate...she fell on second one bounced up and they did 3rd one perfectly....possibly they earned some of the features....they were deducted a point for the fall dropped 2 levels and lower pcs.....c/b -he did a major splat and didn't even try to recover and join in..he watched her....h/d was a big splat but don't remember the details..I was in shock

Debbie S

c/b -he did a major splat and didn't even try to recover and join in..he watched her...
Evan didn't splat, he lost his balance, couldn't complete the twizzle and put his free foot down, then I believe did the 2 sets of twizzles that followed (they had 3 sets total). Zach tripped on his toepick, got up, and I think did part of the 2nd set and the full 3rd set.

sap5

Oh no! Just watched Carreira and Ponomarenko's first JGP performance of the season and an unexpected fall from Christina happened after their first set of twizzles...:fragile: They earned a short dance score of 57.82 :slinkaway Not so devastating... Hope they bounce back at the free. They have a lovely FD this season!

Just saw this. He is amazing.

gk_891

Just for reference, these were the winning SD/ODs/OSPs the times Latin was the rhythm:

Virtue/Moir 2012 SD

Denkova/Stavisky 2006 Worlds OD

Nakva/Kostomorov 2006 Olympics OD

Fusar-Poli/Margaglio 2000 Worlds OD

Grishuk/Platov 1994 Worlds Rhumba OD

Torvill/Dean 1994 Olympics Rhumba

Klimova/Ponomarenko 1990 Samba OSP

Torvill/Dean 1981 Cha Cha OSP

I unfortunately could not find videos of Pakhomova/Gorshkov's 1972/1976 OSPs to the Samba and Rhumba.

Which ones are your most and least favorites?

As great as T/D's rhumba was, I didn't like it as much as many others did. It was still the best rhumba hands down that year though.

For my own personal enjoyment, I'd rather watch K/P's samba. The speed, the content, and their energy was amazing and they really captured the bounce and rhythm of the samba really well in spite of the extremely cheesy music and hideous costumes.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Bobrova&Soloviev and Sinitsina&Katsalapov did a competition in Moscow.
Zhulin's done it again. Both team skate basically the same programs.
It's not even in character but who cares.
Is he a lazy coach to let that happen ???

Dobre

McNamara & Carpenter earned a Level 4 on their rhumba pattern at Lake Placid International.

It's the only one I have noticed thus far. None were earned at the dance event in Quebec. There were, however, thirteen Level 1's handed out on the pattern between the two events.

Dance Chicago never posted protocols.

Last edited:

ninalovesskating

Bobrova&Soloviev and Sinitsina&Katsalapov did a competition in Moscow.
Zhulin's done it again. Both team skate basically the same programs.
It's not even in character but who cares.
Is he a lazy coach to let that happen ???
I'm not surprised. He just lacks vision. It's already bad that B/S & S/K are bland teams, Zhulin adds to that by giving them bland programs, and in the end they get bland results. Well luckily for B/S, they are russia#1 so politics will give them that extra boost in scores but performance wise, carry me to my bed :blah:

Hope Stepanova&Bukin, Zahorski&Guerreiro and Ilinykh&Shibnev do much better :cheer:

sap5

As great as T/D's rhumba was, I didn't like it as much as many others did. It was still the best rhumba hands down that year though.

For my own personal enjoyment, I'd rather watch K/P's samba. The speed, the content, and their energy was amazing and they really captured the bounce and rhythm of the samba really well in spite of the extremely cheesy music and hideous costumes.

Agree, I like K/P's samba the best. How many other teams could make their skills shine despite awful costuming and music? It's like everything is working against them here, yet they are still outstanding.

The SD constraints in 2011-2012 were way too much.

barbarafan

Evan didn't splat, he lost his balance, couldn't complete the twizzle and put his free foot down, then I believe did the 2 sets of twizzles that followed (they had 3 sets total). Zach tripped on his toepick, got up, and I think did part of the 2nd set and the full 3rd set.
Hi...I did not understand that we were talking about a specific competition....I was talking about (i think the first comp.of the year) maybe Finlandia...It was like call me when your done

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I haven't actually commented on it yet, but just chiming in to say I love what we've seen of Virtue & Moir's SD so far. :smokin: I'm okay with them taking a rock approach to the Latin SD. I think it works while still being true to the requirements, and it gives them an edgyness that'll make the program stand out.

They are so musical. :swoon: even her ponytail swings match the music, everything is well placed and not over/under done, expression and music just oozes out of them, I really like it so far. I also love the snippets of the FD a lot more than last years Latch program. :kickass:

This is going to be such an amazing Olympic year, especially if Papadakis & Cizeron's programs are as good as V/M and H/D! (they will be) :cheer: so much win, plus there's the Shibs, W/P, etc. :inavoid:

gk_891

Agree, I like K/P's samba the best. How many other teams could make their skills shine despite awful costuming and music? It's like everything is working against them here, yet they are still outstanding.

The SD constraints in 2011-2012 were way too much.

Have you seen K&P's samba from the NHK competition before the Worlds that season? The choreography was a touch different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0nH7IrdlmE

sap5

It sounds like the Gadbois teams are really pushing each other. That + bringing their own creative visions for programs should result in some really quality skating and dancing. Super exciting!

And gk_891 -- haven't seen that performance yet. Thanks for sharing the link.

kittysk8ts

I haven't actually commented on it yet, but just chiming in to say I love what we've seen of Virtue & Moir's SD so far. :smokin: I'm okay with them taking a rock approach to the Latin SD. I think it works while still being true to the requirements, and it gives them an edgyness that'll make the program stand out.

They are so musical. :swoon: even her ponytail swings match the music, everything is well placed and not over/under done, expression and music just oozes out of them, I really like it so far. I also love the snippets of the FD a lot more than last years Latch program. :kickass:

This is going to be such an amazing Olympic year, especially if Papadakis & Cizeron's programs are as good as V/M and H/D! (they will be) :cheer: so much win, plus there's the Shibs, W/P, etc. :inavoid:
Speaking of Shibs - is there any info/feedback on their programs? Maybe I am not looking in the right place but I haven't heard a peep. And I am DYING to see P/C's programs....hopefully there will be some footage from French Masters :)

VGThuy

Speaking of Shibs - is there any info/feedback on their programs? Maybe I am not looking in the right place but I haven't heard a peep. And I am DYING to see P/C's programs....hopefully there will be some footage from French Masters :)

We just know that their SD is to Perez Prado and their FD is to Coldplay's "Paradise". We don't know what the cuts for the SD are nor if their FD will include other music with "Paradise". We don't really know who their choreographers are either just who they've been working with thanks to their individual and ShibSibs Instagram.

Small clip of them working with Latin ballroom dancer Jenna Johnson on-ice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtGcLs2ctQ

Dobre

It was a good redemption skate.

So we now have two choreographic elements in the free skate for the juniors, as opposed to one last season, and still only 7 elements? So the base value for the junior FDs has gone down since last season, correct? (As choreographic elements can only earn a level 1).

That's going to make it even harder for juniors moving up to seniors to get onto the top 24 SB list and earn spots on the GP.

VGThuy

It was a good redemption skate.

So we now have two choreographic elements in the free skate for the juniors, as opposed to one last season, and still only 7 elements? So the base value for the junior FDs has gone down since last season, correct? (As choreographic elements can only earn a level 1).

That's going to make it even harder for juniors moving up to seniors to get onto the top 24 SB list and earn spots on the GP.

I didn't even think about that.

Dobre

I didn't even think about that.

Yes, the transition from junior to senior in dance is getting harder and harder in a lot of ways. I can think of at least four decisions that have made it tougher.

1. You are no longer guaranteed spots if you medal at Junior Worlds.
2. The seniors had two elements added to their FD programs last season, which gave them around at least 4 more points for their free dance scores relative to comparable performances by junior dance teams.
3. Juniors are now required to earn TES minimum scores in senior international competition rather than in junior competition.
4. The base value in the junior FD scores just dropped by eliminating one of the elements that can earn a level four and replacing it with a maximum level one element.

On the plus side, there are now 10 spots available in each GP event instead of 8.

chapis

And--sigh--Hurtado & Khaliavin are off the list for Lombardia.

Sara is injured :(. https://www.instagram.com/p/BYgbo8_AHBe/

Sara: This is how you see the 3cm that have separated me from the ice the last days ... A fiber break in the right adductor that has made us reorganize our season start ... So it will not be in Lombardos where we will debut but in Finland ! ⛸ Don´t worry that I'm in good hands ... These setbacks are part of the sport and although they are never welcome one uses them to get even stronger.

chapis

Watching Christina C. instragram stories in the gala dinner, I think Yuri On Ice was not so far from reality :rofl:, they seem to be having a great time.

Jun Y

Natascha Lagouge and Corentin Rahier's free dance is one of the most interesting dances I've seen in the past few years. The music cuts, following temporal progression, are especially fascinating and really well done, as it moves from ragtime to disco. It's the same idea as Hubbell/Donohue's short dance last year, but the length of free dance allows each segment to play out more fully, and the plot (Coco Chanel) makes it all work out coherently. Awesome.

Technically Lagouge's back and knees are top notch in junior dancers. Too bad about Rahier's twizzles. I really believe they deserved higher component scores, especially in Composition.

Nmsis

Hopefully the footage will be better than last year... but I'm not being very optimistic! :wall:
Don't you remember last year's joke ?
When the french fed was puting videos on its facebook and stopped just before P/C's FD.
Then left us hanging in the air, waiting for something they were never to put online.
Then they put an interview of Karine Arribert that had an unfortunate taste of elevator music as what was everyone's focus remained off screen.
Then we had some facam videos and people complained about their quality when every reproach should have been directed toward the french fed.
Then we had a 1 minute news report on TF1 the next sunday with 30 seconds of actual FD. :blah: And that was probably an exclusive for the channel and the reason why the FFSG didn't put P/C's video online. Stupid fed. :revenge:

Natascha Lagouge and Corentin Rahier's free dance is one of the most interesting dances I've seen in the past few years. The music cuts, following temporal progression, are especially fascinating and really well done, as it moves from ragtime to disco. It's the same idea as Hubbell/Donohue's short dance last year, but the length of free dance allows each segment to play out more fully, and the plot (Coco Chanel) makes it all work out coherently. Awesome.

Technically Lagouge's back and knees are top notch in junior dancers. Too bad about Rahier's twizzles. I really believe they deserved higher component scores, especially in Composition.
I've nicknamed Corentin : Guillaume II :p (as far as being a major dancer in the making and their ability to use their upper body; they have different personnalities on ice though)
Natacha started ice dance 2 years ago. It is their 3rd season together.
Their first 2 seasons together, their style was kind of neutral and they came off as something like the Shepperdess and the Prince. Looking good, elevating their choreography above what it really was, but mainly working on being a dance couple.
And now they are starting to work on their style and artistic identity and it comes together nicely (especially for a first serious effort).
I think their scores will rise throughout the season.

GreenGan

I really liked Lagouge/Rahier FD. It was an artistic proposition, I thought they were very classy. The catwalk moment made me laugh. But Konkina/Yakushev caught my eyes too. Not their short of course, but I don't know, something in their free. Lots of speed.
I really didn't like Carreira/Ponomarenko last year, and this year their short is meh but they were good in the free. I think they've progressed.

Dobre

Finlandia:

Papadakis & Cizeron
Cappellini & Lanotte
Stepanova & Bukin
McNamara & Carpenter
Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson
Hurtado & Khaliavin
Kaliszek & Spodyriev
Agafanova & Ucar
Lorenz & Polizoakis
Popova & Mozgov
Soucisse & Firus
Torn & Partanen
Fear & Gibson
Kuzmichova & Sinicyn
Biechler & Dodge
+more

Now, there is a quality international lineup.

sap5

From: http://www.goldenskate.com/2017/09/carreira-ponomarenko/

This season, the U.S. Junior silver medalists are skating to Latin American rhythms (Rhumba, Cha Cha, and Samba) for their short dance, and for their music, have chosen “Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps” by the Pussycat Dolls, “Give it Up” by the Good Men, and “Conga” by Gloria Estefan for their music.

“Igor picked the first piece (Cha Cha) and Anthony and I picked the last two,” Carreira offered.

Was really surprised that they picked Gloria Estefan and not something more modern. The first time I saw their program, I thought Igor had picked all the music.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Is there any news about Elena Ilinykh ? Last I remember was some kind of confusion whether she had retired to try coaching or she might get a new partner and just experience coaching on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information