The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

DreamsofBliss

Of course, getting three spots could be a problem if two of the top U.S. teams don't go.

You've got 2 Italian teams, 2 Russian teams, 1 French team, 2 Canadian teams.

Those teams probably a lock. Assume Hubbell & Donohue are a lock too.

Then you have Coomes & Buckland, probably finish above Hawayek & Baker.

Then Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson. Probably competitive with Hawayek & Baker. (And maybe the Spanish. I would say definitely the Spanish if it was Hurtado & Khaliavin, but assuming Spain doesn't swap, I'll say the odds are better for Hawayek & Baker).

So, yeah, if you want to control your own destiny for next season, you go to Worlds. That's how you earn GP spots and the three World berths. It's also how you make your argument to compete at Skate America or go where you want to go on the GP next season.

The U.S. can finish with under 13 points with Hawayek & Baker.

But there's risk.

For example, if Hubbell & Donohue were to come 4th behind the French, Bobrova & Soloviev, and Cappellini & Lanotte (who will be skating at home), then Hawayek & Baker would need to finish top 9. That would mean defeating Coomes & Buckland, whom they have never defeated.

Worlds is in Europe. It's not neutral territory. The U.S. teams won't get the benefit of the doubt. But it would be possible for H&D and H&B to get the job done. A 2nd place finish for H&D and an 11th for H&B would do the job. Or a 3rd place and a 10th.

Those are doable.

But there's risk.

Hawayek and Baker finished ahead of Coomes and Buckland at NHK Trophy 2014...but CB had a disatrous FD.

Dobre

Hawayek and Baker finished ahead of Coomes and Buckland at NHK Trophy 2014...but CB had a disatrous FD.

Yes, you are right on both counts.

As far as the FD goes for this season, Coomes & Buckland's score from the Olympics is right in the same ballpark as what Hawayek & Baker have received a bunch of times for their FD. H&B scored higher at 4CCs, but @102 is pretty common for them with clean performances of this program. In the SD, however, Coomes & Buckland's score from the Olympics is several points higher than what H&B scored most of the season, again excepting 4CCs. H&B botched the twizzles most of the season though. It is possible that if both teams went clean, H&B could win that head-to-head. But it's in Europe.

Overall, it would just be nice for Hawayek & Baker to get their feet wet for the first time at Worlds without having the pressure of earning a spot hanging over their heads.

McNamara & Carpenter could play as well. (They are the second alternates). They bested a messy Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson as well as Kaliszek & Spodyriev early this season. But M&C finished fourth behind Muramoto & Reed and Soucisse & Firus at 4CCs and behind Smart & Diaz at Autumn Classic. Essentially, M&C probably need more time to establish themselves in the senior ranks. (Much as I would love to see their Mambo Italiano SD at Worlds in Milan).

Kuurisu

oh, they were holding hands in that commercial? lol thanks for that. it wasn't the video i was looking for but i like this one even more^^

Their unusually close sibling connection was heavily promoted throughout the Olympics, so I don't find envious comments on that strange at all. I am close to two of my siblings but not THAT close. Alex and Maia are such ideal siblings it's not funny. I don't know many like them... OK, any!

The comments protesting too many Asians as if the Shibs weren't real Americans, now those I find offensive. But the internet is where you see the worst of people IMO. Only in relatively small circles do anonymous posters conduct themselves well, IMO.
it's not so much the meaning of the comments than their words. seeing them exaggerate their words as if they are barbarians compared to maia and alex just make me roll my eyes.

i guess their closeness is relatable to me and therefore isn't that surprising to me is because they grew a stronger connection than most siblings because well they were ice skaters basically all their lives. they had to always be together, there was no other way around it. just as me and my family quite literally grew together, we do so many things, people have even noted ln our connection as a family when they just visit our house for a couple of hours (and we'll be like "??? we just fought like 30 minutes ago" lol). i don't have many friends and friends who have siblings so i obviously misjudged on the general rule of how they work. so thanks for enlightening me and i apologise for that.

as for comments on their being "not american" i have seen them (i even saw a person comment "ching chong" on alex's live!!!) i do see them but thankfully the majority find them and their family beautiful and even have called them true americans (as in the true american family). those are the best comments imo.

Mrs. P

Love this older Tweet by Meryl Davis welcoming Alex and Maia to the club and continuing the medal streak of Team USA in ice dance:

https://twitter.com/Meryl_Davis/status/966061403252682753

And one person responding to the tweet made a good point: For everyone's fuss about Marina, she's on a four-Olympics medal winning streak too! (And she's up to 6 if you include her choreographic work with G&G)

And wasn't there a U.S. Dance team that won a medal back in 1976? They need to attend the meetings too.

Mrs. P

A nine-Olympic-medal-winning streak.

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

So I got: 2018 (Shibs), 2014 (D/W), 2010 (V/M and D/W), 2006 (B/A) 1994 (G/G) and 1988 (G/G)

So I'm missing

Choreography? Coaching?

Dobre

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

So I got: 2018 (Shibs), 2014 (D/W), 2010 (V/M and D/W), 2006 (B/A)

No, a nine-medal streak.

2006 B&A
2010 D&W and V&M
2014 D&W (team), D&W (individual), V&M (team), V&M (individual)
2018 Shibs (team), Shibs (individual)

Nine Olympic medals in a streak. (A row).

Gordeeva & Grinkov medaled as well, of course, but with other Olympics in between.

VGThuy

I think what's really amazing about the Shibs is that most people forget just how young they are. Collectively, they are younger than everybody other than Papadakis/Cizeron and Kaliszek/Spodyriev in the top 15 at the Olympics. Maia is only like two years older than some first year seniors domestically as well. People forget that because they had unusual success when Maia was 16 and had won medals at Nationals on the senior level and been to Worlds and won international GP medals ever season since they turned senior. They also have remained undefeated amongst the American teams internationally since 2016 4CC so far. It's quite an amazing two-year streak considering how close all of the American teams are.

Ena Grins

I don't want them to retire; I'd love to see what they do post-trilogy with the weight of the desire for an Olympic medal off of them. But if they do retire, I think I would be okay with that. Right now I feel: "dayenu". Seeing how far they've come, how hard they've worked, and what they've achieved means everything, is enough.

MRani

https://instagram.com/p/Bfrx9gaDI4U/

I love this new post of Alex’s on instagram. It encompasses their entire journey this quad in a beautifully concise and meaningful way.

Also, for some reason I keep going back to their 2016 Boston worlds vlog these past couple of days.

https://youtu.be/bhkJ7-v6_ac

I love how towards the end of the vlog we got to see footage from the gala of that enormous crowd with fans proudly waving a Shibs sign from their perspective. The “Alex is a native Bostonian” narrative got played up by commentators during that worlds and I really felt that crowd embraced them as their own, beyond simply athletes representing USA. They just seemed so happy, it was such a transformative season for them and I got the sense that they were just so hopeful and grateful and excited for the future. Until they release an Olympics vlog, it’s probably the closest to how I imagine they felt during the Olympics gala. Just felt like sharing some of these thoughts. :)

chapis

I just saw this anon comment: http://simplyforeverwanderlust.tumb...w-a-medal-is-a-medal-but-the-shibs-are-acting

At first I was :revenge:, now I am :rofl:. Why did nobody inform Maia and Alex how they should act if they get a bronze medal?!!! , they should to say : ¨yes, whatever, a bronze medal ¨:blah:

But seriously, their reaction to those medals was one of the classiest and positive attitudes that I have seen. I was also surprised how they were emphasizing teamwork in the Team Event. Alex even gave a speech to his teammates before or after the event. And posting several pictures of all their teammates getting the plushies, the medals and cheering each other on their Instagram accounts during the Team event, not everyone did that.

---------------

the shibsibs play “never have I ever” https://lily-lilac.tumblr.com/post/171269874446/the-shibsibs-play-never-have-i-ever

Last edited:

Cayuse

This may have been the highlight of our Olympic Games because you think about the entire experience as a whole,” Alex said. “For some medalists, it is being on the podium. But it almost felt like it wouldn't completely sink in until we met these students who were such an important part of this particular journey.”

The year of sharing information between this class of Korean students and Maia and Alex exemplifies the talent these two have for building relationships with people from all around the world. They are outstanding ambassadors for sport and sportsmanship. A class act all the way!

VGThuy

I just saw this anon comment: http://simplyforeverwanderlust.tumb...w-a-medal-is-a-medal-but-the-shibs-are-acting

At first I was :revenge:, now I am :rofl:. Why did nobody inform Maia and Alex how they should act if they get a bronze medal?!!! , they should to say : ¨yes, whatever, a bronze medal ¨:blah:

But seriously, their reaction to those medals was one of the classiest and positive attitudes that I have seen. I was also surprised how they were emphasizing teamwork in the Team Event. Alex even gave a speech to his teammates before or after the event. And posting several pictures of all their teammates getting the plushies, the medals and cheering each other on their Instagram accounts during the Team event, not everyone did that.

---------------

the shibsibs play “never have I ever” https://lily-lilac.tumblr.com/post/171269874446/the-shibsibs-play-never-have-i-ever

That anonymous person is just bitter and resentful that it was the Shibs that received the bronze medal and not someone else.

Anyway, that "never have I ever" game was hilarious, especially their answers to whether they flirted in the rink and if they did it with any of each other's friends. Turns out Maia flirted at the rink but not with any of Alex's friends...I wonder who they could be. I wonder which of Maia's friends she tried to hook Alex up with.

Mrs. P

---------------

Salty anon indeed. But as usual, some fans like to put the cart before the horse, even after ALL THAT. And with the "If they didn't mess up they would have won bronze" or the "Shibs were lucky that they messed up." business. Ugh, so tired.

If you read various what will happen in the next four year threads, people are already declaring that H/D will fight with P/C for gold with a nary mention of the Shibs.

I want the Shibs to stick around just to spite everyone at this point. LOL.

ETA: In happier news, I'm thrilled to see Maia and Alex's photo with Nick Offerman... uh I mean curler Matt Hamilton and his sister Becca! The men's curling team is the ultimate ShibStory of Curling. :)

ETA2: ShibStory (noun): The story of a person or persons who manage to achieve great things, despite adversity, struggle, constant naysaying and putdowns, through persistence, hard work and resolve.

Last edited:

chapis

Maia & Alex Shibutani's Parents Aren't Athletes So They Supported Their Children’s Dreams In A Different Way:
https://www.bustle.com/p/maia-alex-...r-childrens-dreams-in-a-different-way-8197357

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/02...-intel-record-most-digital-engagements-winter:
¨Samsung was followed by the United States Olympic team's official gear partner Ralph Lauren with 57% engagement. Ralph Lauren's opening and closing ceremony kit for the US contingent, which included the suede, frilled gloves, were most talked about along with skaters Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani.¨

https://www.myajc.com/sports/with-m...expectations-olympics/2ZGaAzCPQOr2aVRUa0xUhJ/
¨Shiffrin, the 22-year-old Alpine racer, snowboarder Jamie Anderson and ice dancers Alex and Maia Shibutani were the only Americans to win two medals in Pyeongchang¨

Nice animation: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfszgWRh1Z_/?tagged=maiashibutani

VGThuy

Maia & Alex Shibutani's Parents Aren't Athletes So They Supported Their Children’s Dreams In A Different Way:
https://www.bustle.com/p/maia-alex-...r-childrens-dreams-in-a-different-way-8197357

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/02...-intel-record-most-digital-engagements-winter:
¨Samsung was followed by the United States Olympic team's official gear partner Ralph Lauren with 57% engagement. Ralph Lauren's opening and closing ceremony kit for the US contingent, which included the suede, frilled gloves, were most talked about along with skaters Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani.¨

https://www.myajc.com/sports/with-m...expectations-olympics/2ZGaAzCPQOr2aVRUa0xUhJ/
¨Shiffrin, the 22-year-old Alpine racer, snowboarder Jamie Anderson and ice dancers Alex and Maia Shibutani were the only Americans to win two medals in Pyeongchang¨

Nice animation: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfszgWRh1Z_/?tagged=maiashibutani

That's really awesome that Maia and Alex were one of the most talked about subjects from the Winter Olympics. Maybe what the article meant was that Ralph Lauren using Maia and Alex in their promotional photos of their ceremonial outfits were the most talked about.

Glad to see the Shibs mentioned positively in what was intended to be a downer of an article about American medal count.

As for the Bustle piece:

Their former coach Patti Gottwein told ESPN that Naomi would "videotape everything." She explained, "The parents are very much an integral part of what their training is."

So it's not just their dad but also their mom that Alex and Maia inherited their love of documentation from.

Kuurisu

perfect example of missing the point. the shibs have faced so many struggles. not with theirselves but with others. they are siblings and not only have faced outsiders' criticism but were forced to suffer under the judges' obvious biased points and numbers. they are not the first siblings to skate but they are arguably the most popular since, facing more hate. in 2014 they were honoured to make it to the olympics but they only had a small taste of it, and they earned no medals. then there were the years when they said they lost their connection with each other, perhaps because of the whisperings around them finally getting to them. because they are the only siblings in their league, they didn't have anyone to go to in their pain, they only had each other. now they work as hard as ever, surpass the judges' clear bias and the haters. not only are they returning to the olympics but they snatch two medals as well, just as they end their journey of the coldplay trilogy. it's not about gold, it's about working all they could and it paying off.

and honestly so what if they're acting like they got gold? as proven before virtue/moir won and the media spread them everywhere but the public responded the most to the shibs. so in everyone's heart, the shibs already have gold as far as they are concerned. *shrug*

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Maia and Alex are scheduled to skate on the Today Show this morning. :)

ETA: They skated the 32nd half of their FD. Next up: Live with Kelly and Ryan on ABC.

Last edited:

AYS

🌻
I already noticed in this Olympics that we had particularly ecstatic bronze medalists in all 4 events and less-than-ecstatic silver medalists (except maybe Uno). It's often that way but especially so this time. So Shibs are not alone in their joy at winning the bronze medal. It was always going to be a huge fight to do it, many said they wouldn't do it, so it is truly as good as gold in their situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information