U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Ohh Lorraine is desperate. They shoukd get someone decent from Russia
Lorraine is getting a bit long in the tooth, so to speak. Her options from overseas may be rather limited. I don't suppose it can hurt to try out with Jeffrey even though he is several years younger than her. I'm not sure this is a potential partnership that would get either of them to the Olympics.

Debbie S

Even if the height difference (lack thereof) won't be a problem, I can't see either Lorraine or Jeffrey wanting to leave their coaches. Lorraine has been with WISA since the beginning of her career and attends U of MD (unless she is graduating). Jeffrey seems happy at MIDA plus he is in school at U of MI. I guess we'll see what happens.

Twizwiz

Even if the height difference (lack thereof) won't be a problem, I can't see either Lorraine or Jeffrey wanting to leave their coaches. Lorraine has been with WISA since the beginning of her career and attends U of MD (unless she is graduating). Jeffrey seems happy at MIDA plus he is in school at U of MI. I guess we'll see what happens.
Yea I’m doubtful they will actually get together, just thought it was of note they are trying out

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
He’s kind of fun and goofy and she’s kind of serious and straitlaced in affect. I don’t see it.

ice coverage

USFS' 2024 Scholastic Honors Team (Jan. 17 press release): https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/us-figure-skating-announces-2024-scholastic-honors-team

... And Olivia Dietrich who also was an ice dancer:

Congratulations to all on the Scholastic Honors Team. 👏

Side note that Olivia Dietrich went on to compete in solo dance last year. Maybe she will do the same this year?
Also: James Koszuta is competing in U.S. Solo Dance Series this year, and won his first competition of the series. He now is a coach in Nashville.

... she’s kind of serious and straitlaced in affect. ...

For me, Lorraine's own fun-loving side has been readily apparent.
For example: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkEY32uri3Z/
(Not sayin' that I think Jeffrey and she would be an obvious match. I do hope that each of them finds a good partner.)

Last edited:

Lara111

Lorraine is getting a bit long in the tooth, so to speak. Her options from overseas may be rather limited. I don't suppose it can hurt to try out with Jeffrey even though he is several years younger than her. I'm not sure this is a potential partnership that would get either of them to the Olympics.
She should try out with Eygor if he is still around.

Dobre

I'm not sure this is a potential partnership that would get either of them to the Olympics.
It would have a heck of a lot more potential than a partnership with most human beings on the planet.

Starting over is starting over. It's very hard.

Lorraine has been with WISA since the beginning of her career and attends U of MD (unless she is graduating). Jeffrey seems happy at MIDA plus he is in school at U of MI. I guess we'll see what happens.
Well, this is the big question, isn't it? Probably this is the reason they haven't tried out before now. But they are both of them reaching the point where you have to make tough decisions. What is the goal for their careers? Because if it's to compete in Senior Bs or GPs, they've already been there.

I doubt this partnership will happen because I would love for it to happen, and--therefore--it probably won't.

Last edited:

ice coverage

This afternoon's gracious post from Jenna Hauer:

just tuned in

This afternoon's gracious post from Jenna Hauer:

Not what I wanted to see.

jlai

Question everything
If N/M moves up and there are ? by some of the other jr teams, there may be a bit of a transition year at the junior level.
Senior level, however, may be a blood bath :watch:

Dobre

I feel like some of these junior athletes are likely to show up with each other next season. There'll be some room on the JGP, for sure; but I still suspect some experienced athletes at the top.

Having said that, things are looking up for Ilin & Cain with some of those top athletes shuffling around.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Julia Epps & Blake Gilman recently spent some time in London, Ontario: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5d0_cXLoal/
They are pictured with their coach Slava Uchitel and Scott Moir, Madi Hubbell, Adrian Diaz.
"Looking forward to returning again soon" - potentially the start of a Browns-style split coaching situation?

This last season was a bit disappointing for Epps/Gilman so I'm not surprised they're trying something different.

Dobre

Is Horovyi aging up to seniors this season? (I'm thinking yes?)

The Peals, Mullens, and Ilin & Cain are still age eligible and still on the ISP. (And all did well on the JGP this season).

Does anyone know if Bland & Sperry are planning to make the leap to seniors?

dancing_on_ice

The Peals, Mullens, and Ilin & Cain are still age eligible and still on the ISP. (And all did well on the JGP this season).

Bland Sperry are not internationally junior age eligible next season

azcalder

"Looking forward to returning again soon" - potentially the start of a Browns-style split coaching situation?

This last season was a bit disappointing for Epps/Gilman so I'm not surprised they're trying something different.
Blake has been accepted at the University of Pennsylvania, which is basically in his backyard. If they go north, it probably will be on a short term visit situation...just a thought.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Both are aging up - Helena's DOB is April 14, 2005 so she's 19 before the end of the season. Volodymyr's DOB is July 28, 2002 so he turned 21 this season.

Of course, that could change if the ISU increases the age max for juniors - it wouldn't surprise me if pairs/dance women are increased to 21 while pairs/dance men are increased to 23. I was looking back at the 2022 age proposals earlier today and there was a proposal to increase the pairs/dance women to 21 because of the change to the senior age minimums but the ISU Council was opposed at the time saying they wanted more time to study the impact of the senior age minimum increase on the junior ranks.

The Peals, the Mullens and Ilin/Cain are going to be contenders on the junior circuit next season, IMO. The Peals placed 5th at Jr Worlds. We always worry about contenders at the junior level until some new teams come up through the novice ranks and grab our attention the way all three of these teams were doing a few seasons ago, lol.

azcalder

Both are aging up - Helena's DOB is April 14, 2005 so she's 19 before the end of the season. Volodymyr's DOB is July 28, 2002 so he turned 21 this season.

Of course, that could change if the ISU increases the age max for juniors - it wouldn't surprise me if pairs/dance women are increased to 21 while pairs/dance men are increased to 23. I was looking back at the 2022 age proposals earlier today and there was a proposal to increase the pairs/dance women to 21 because of the change to the senior age minimums but the ISU Council was opposed at the time saying they wanted more time to study the impact of the senior age minimum increase on the junior ranks.

The Peals, the Mullens and Ilin/Cain are going to be contenders on the junior circuit next season, IMO. The Peals placed 5th at Jr Worlds. We always worry about contenders at the junior level until some new teams come up through the novice ranks and grab our attention the way all three of these teams were doing a few seasons ago, lol.
Both Bland and Sperry have aged out of juniors.

coralline

MIDA has just posted an Instagram story clip of Jean-Luc Baker teaching in Canton.

ETA that Charlie has reposted it. :) I counted 12 skaters on the ice with Charlie.
I think I‘m able to recognize everyone except the lady standing between Dima & Michael. Any idea who that is?

Sylvia

TBD
I think I‘m able to recognize everyone except the lady standing between Dima & Michael. Any idea who that is?
No but can you list everyone you recognize? I saw Green/Parsons, Bratti/Somerville, Mullen/Mullen, Tsarevski, Yahli Pedersen (between Michael & Caroline) and Jeffrey Chen (next to Brendan M.)...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information