U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wasn’t contesting Malinina’s win, only your thought about its importance to the family now for Ilia to win at the same competition. ;)
I only thought compete. I never said win…at least not yet. Too many other great skaters from 4CCs countries this season.

LeafOnTheWind

What do you think about it? I'm debating between the audio version and the regular book.
Nathan narrates the audio version. He actually does a pretty good job with it. Someone got him to slow down a little. I started out with the audio only because I don't have time to sit and read. That let me play it in the car or while I was cleaning/cooking. It is more expensive though. I think somewhere around $30. I ended up getting the eBook version for the pictures. It was $13 so I splurged on seeing a baby Nathan in diapers up to his gold medal Olympics.

Allskate

Nathan narrates the audio version. He actually does a pretty good job with it. Someone got him to slow down a little. I started out with the audio only because I don't have time to sit and read. That let me play it in the car or while I was cleaning/cooking. It is more expensive though. I think somewhere around $30. I ended up getting the eBook version for the pictures. It was $13 so I splurged on seeing a baby Nathan in diapers up to his gold medal Olympics.
Thanks. I actually have a couple of credits on Audible, which was why I was considering that version. Nathan sometimes doesn't have the most dynamic speaking voice in interviews, so I was wondering how his narration was. I thought he might be better when he was telling his own story rather than just answering a boring interview question and trying to say the right thing.

Trillian

If only this sport was so big and popular that we could just have continental championships on all continents and do away with 4CC.

Or we could just be really efficient and get all the continents together at once for one big championship … hmm … what would we call that …

Honestly, Euros is a bigger deal because a) it’s been around forever, b) it predates some of the more high profile events like the GP series, so it gained prestige in an era where there were even less high-level competitive opportunities than there are now, and c) it involves a lot of countries that don’t have large national fields. There are a lot of skaters at Euros who might be one of the very few active senior competitors in their countries. The U.S., Canada, and Japan (in singles) all have huge, competitive nationals, so 4CCs doesn’t necessarily serve the same function for the skaters. Not to say it’s not prestigious - but it developed for very different reasons and in a very different environment than Euros did.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
And let's not forget that 4CCs HAS been a boon to both dance and, to a slightly lesser extent, pairs teams. Maybe in singles it will never quite have the prestige that winning Euros is for European skaters, but it most definitely DOES have value and prestige for dancers and pairs teams.

Sylvia

TBD
For Jason's birthday today (Dec. 15), Jordan Cowan has uploaded this video of the final section of his 2023 Free Program to Josh Groban's "The Impossible Dream" (choreographed by Rohene Ward), filmed in November 2022 at the Toronto Cricket Skating & Curling Club: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmcTlfgcSM

Jason also shared the same video ("Another year older… another year to continue chasing my dreams! Let’s see what you got 28! #theimpossibledream ✨"): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmNvAl2DVIL/

mtnskater

Regarding Art on Ice, I thought it a bit strange that it takes place during the ISU competitive season and a major ISU championship. Stephane Lambiel is normally a fixture in that show. If he is again skating in it this year, will that mean that Shoma will not compete at 4CCs…or would he compete without his coach?

Personally and selfishly, I would love to see Ilia, Jason and K&F at 4CC since I just bought tickets. But I will be seeing them all live at US Nationals just before. I totally support the skaters doing what is best for them, whether it be earning money or taking a break from a competition so close on the heels of a hugely stressful nationals. Often U.S. skaters don’t fare so well at 4CC because there is so little time between Nationals and 4CCs to rest, recover and resume training.

I’m super excited 4CCs is back in Colorado and I’m happy for the skaters who get the opportunity to compete there.

Allskate

Regarding Art on Ice, I thought it a bit strange that it takes place during the ISU competitive season and a major ISU championship. Stephane Lambiel is normally a fixture in that show. If he is again skating in it this year, will that mean that Shoma will not compete at 4CCs…or would he compete without his coach?
Stephane isn't listed as participating.

Japanese Nationals takes place a month before U.S. Nationals, so I think it is much easier for Japanese skaters to participate in Four Continents. And this way they don't have a big gap between Japanese Nationals and Worlds. (However, it is a tough turnaround time between the GPF and Japanese Nationals. I'm sure that the Japanese skaters would prefer a bigger gap.) I hope you have a great time at Four Continents and at Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
Tomoki article by Jillian Martinez in the Fan Zone (Dec. 19):
Excerpts:
"[At Lombardia Trophy], I dislocated my shoulder during the practice right before my short program," Hiwatashi lamented. "After that, I felt like I was not able to prepare well enough going into my Grand Prix competitions, and they didn't go very well for me."
Despite being right-handed, Hiwatashi is one of the few skaters to spin and jump clockwise. However, during his short program at Lombardia, while practicing his triple toe loop, Hiwatashi over-rotated and fell on the ice. In an attempt to break the fall, he reached his hand out. But, instead of breaking the fall, his hand continued to slide out from underneath him and he felt the impact on his shoulder, again.
"It's kind of a bad habit of mine," Hiwatashi explained. "That was the third time [on the right shoulder], and I've done it twice before on the other. I've been given the choice to have surgery, but that would mean losing six months or more. So, I've decided to try and strengthen my shoulder and work on the soft tissue."
In addition to changing his fall pattern and protecting his shoulder, Hiwatashi realizes he needs to improve his consistency and confidence.
"I felt like I've been lacking a lot of that [confidence] these days," Hiwatashi reflected. "But, I'm getting better at it."
Hiwatashi admits he's not a fan of mind exercises or meditation. Instead, he prefers to zone out to his favorite music and finds strengthening his skills is the best way to increase his confidence. A strong spinner already, Hiwatashi is continuing to increase his speed on his spins and selling his step sequence with cleaner turns and movement.

Dobre

Undoubtedly, I should back up more than two pages in this thread & read this whole discussion as the past has probably already been discussed somewhere; but since USFS didn't let Ashley skate at Art on Ice in lieu of 4CCs (presuming I remember that correctly), I wouldn't think they would let Ilia do so? He could sit out both, as she did; but why would they alter their policy?

(Especially during a year when they are footing the bill to host 4CCs. But really, it wouldn't be a policy unique to this particular season).

----
Oh, yes. Also I finished watching the GPF men's events today. Congratulations to Broussard & Malinin:).

sus2850

Maybe if figure skating as a sport were important in the US and most other countries, then skating brats would actually prefer competing to flying out to skate a couple of numbers for $$$, featuring local pop stars, such as Rag n Bone Man.
Not just Malinin; also K/F, also from US.
This has nothing to do with the venue…we can watch on Peacock or VPN, wherever it happens.
What I learned from this thread: Rag‘n‘Bone Man is not big in the US? He is British, not „local“ as in Swiss, and had a number 1 album with „Human“ all over Europe. There were some stranger choices at Art On Ice in former years.

Also: The ISU gives out their skating awards at AoI, so I am sure some of the skaters there will win in some category (Loena, Gabriella & Guillaume, Jason and Alexa/Brandon are nominated, maybe Ilia was angry not being listed and withdrew 😊)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I came across this Jimmy Ma video interview from the Grand Prix in Sheffield that was taped on Nov. 13 and uploaded by Golden Skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOcdHla-21I
The 27-year-old from New York shares the relationship dynamics with new coaches Alexei Letov and Olga Ganicheva, his new programs, and goals for the rest of the season. The skater has rediscovered his love for the sport and is committed for the next three seasons!"

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Forgot to cross-post this link from his fan thread ;) - Judith also did a 12-minute Q&A with Ilia at the Grand Prix Final for Golden Skate (uploaded on Dec. 15): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c0_3I1AvLE
USA's Ilia Malinin talks about his experience in Torino, Italy, at the 2022-23 Grand Prix Final. He discusses his current program layout, transitioning into the senior ranks, the process of learning a jump, who he looks up to, and more!

sk8momma

Nice to see that Nathan Chapple (along with Ting Cui) was a main focus of World University Games press release on Dec 8 re Team USA figure skating contingent.

Two U.S. figure skaters are hoping that the Lake Placid 2023 FISU World University Games will be the launching pad to regaining their form after years lost to injury. Ting Cui, from Pikesville, Md. who attends Middlebury College, and Nathan Chapple of Solon, Ohio, who attends Cuyahoga Community College, are healthy and have high hopes for the FISU Games, held every two years. ...

Chapple has been competing for more than a decade and hopes the World University Games can propel him to long-held goals of competing on the senior international circuit for Team USA in the Grand Prix series, skating’s top annual tour.

Injuries like patellar tendinitis in his left knee, a high ankle sprain, Achilles problems and stomach surgery kept him off the ice for most of the past four years. Chapple has been healthy this year, regaining his form enough to post second- and sixth-place finishes in sub-national competitions. Getting named to the FISU U.S. World University Games team was big. Chapple said he had gained a sense of accomplishment from “finally earning a spot in something amazing like an opportunity like this.”

Chapple’s home base was Winterhurst Figure Skating Club near Cleveland, Ohio before he moved to work with coaches Amber Gil and Rohene Ward at the Glenview Community Ice Center outside Chicago, Ill. Chapple got into skating at age six after watching the Olympics on TV and seeing short-track speed skater Apolo Ohno. The nearest speed skating program was too far away, so Chapple decided to pursue figure skating.

Chapple, a Black skater, is an ambassador for the Diversify Ice Foundation, whose mission is to support and mentor underrepresented groups in competitive figure skating.

“It’s very important because there’s not really that much diversity in the sport,” said Chapple, 23. “Seeing an organization that’s trying to promote it is nice to see in the sport – to see that there’s something improving, that there are people that are putting in an effort to advance the sport.”

Chapple says he takes his inspiration for hard work from his mother, Angela, who adopted him as a single mom while she worked – and continues to work – three jobs as a college professor and teaching consultant after decades teaching in inner-city schools.

Chapple has found he likes teaching, too. For the past seven or eight years, he has taught in Learn to Skate programs, and he coaches at the rinks where he trains. “I just like giving back to the sport,” Chapple said. “I like having people feel accomplished with something they’ve done, whether it’s planning a jump or getting a spin better.”

I hope that Nathan has a great experience at World University Games. 🥳

(Although Nathan had the fifth highest NQS score in the nation for senior men, he ended up not qualifying for Nats.
I enjoyed his skating at Mid Atlantics, and had hoped to see him in San Jose too.)
While clearly disappointed about Nats, I know Nathan plans to give his all to the WWUGs. One bad skate cannot define the athlete. He had a stellar 2022-23 season. He definitely is still on the radar and plans to make his mark at the games.

Sylvia

TBD
For some reason, only one Team USA man shared his New Year's resolutions for 2023 in USFS' 1/1/23 Fan Zone article ;):

Dinh Tran
I will be continuing my third year of mechanical engineering as well as starting my fourth year at CSULB so I would like to study hard and pass all my classes. I also have a goal of landing more quads so that I can be somewhat more competitive. My last resolution is to continue to fight and not give up, especially when challenges arise.

Today I came across this feature on Dinh -- from Feb. 21, 2022 -- that was one of California State University Long Beach's top 10 articles of 2022 :):
Excerpts:
“Time management and discipline are major factors in balancing both school and skating,” Tran said. “It takes years and years of experience to learn how to take on both, but a lot of credit goes to my mom for helping me through this process.” [...]
“My mom has always emphasized the importance of education and so school is always considered a priority over skating,” Tran said. “It is hard to manage that balance, but college and general schooling have always been in the plans. I try my best to work out a schedule so that my education would not be interrupted by my athletics.”
Achieving that balance has not been easy, he said. In fact, he has contemplated giving up skating completely.
“You come to your senses, and you realize and trust that everything will fall together and work in harmony,” he said. ‘Juggling both school and skating might seem extremely difficult – and it is – but you will be surprised by what the human body can do when you really want to achieve your goals and dreams.”
So, while his American teammates were competing in the 2022 Winter Games, Tran was attending classes on campus. He said he wants to use his mechanical engineering knowledge to design components for Formula 1 race cars. Skating, at that point, might take a backseat.
“While there are many types of positions as an engineer in F1, I am striving for a position that would allow me to work with a team and design parts that would allow the car to go faster,” Tran said.
“I do believe that one day I will achieve this dream of being an engineer in F1 and it may not involve skating. But I can say that the intense and competitive environment that I have been in and love to be in with skating is very similar to F1.”
Next up for him is the World University Games in Lake Placid, Jan. 13-15 (along with UCLA's Goku Endo and Nathan Chapple who attends Cuyahoga Community College).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information