U.S. Men 2023-24 news & updates

skatfan

It's a wonderful opportunity for him, but it makes me a bit sad as I felt like he had a real shot at winning juniors this year.
In an interview he sounded very psyched to go on the ice where Hanyu won and Chen skated his six quad program in 2018. He’s in first place after the short with a very well-skated program where he landed a beauty of a 3-Axel!

Allskate

Better Ilia skate like that here than at Worlds.
I'm sure this was a lesson for him and even designed to be one. I'm guessing that he'll go for the quad axel at Worlds, but won't go for the quad loop. It looked like he was almost laughing at himself after the loop. I'm optimistic that all the mistakes today aren't going to mess with his head going into Worlds.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm sure this was a lesson for him and even designed to be one. I'm guessing that he'll go for the quad axel at Worlds, but won't go for the quad loop. It looked like he was almost laughing at himself after the loop. I'm optimistic that all the mistakes today aren't going to mess with his head going into Worlds.
Oh, yes - he most certainly was laughing at himself or the jump itself. He quickly moved past the error.

Allskate

Oh, yes - he most certainly was laughing at himself or the jump itself. He quickly moved past the error.
Well, he did have other jump mistakes later in the program. That may be an argument for not going for the loop, but it could be the boots that caused some of those errors. At least he's got time to sort that out now and get some more practice time in with good boots. (Count me as one who thinks it's smart for him to skip Four Continents.)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Are they in skates? I don’t know how blades differ in height, but I’ve seen what look like pretty different heel sizes.

According to Wikipedia, Naumov is 5’6”, Pulkinen is 5’7”, Brown is 5’8”, and Malinin is 5’8.5”. The ISU bios, self-reported, say 168cm, 170 cm, 173cm, and 174 cm respectively.

DreamSkates

True, but when you look at Ilya's "all-legs" body, it's hard to believe that Jason is taller. I have seen all 4 of them in person, many times, and it still seems strange to me.
Yes, same view here. It's proportions, though. The longer legs make him look taller. I remember the first time seeing some skaters in person. Quite shocked, as most look tall on tv.

olympic

Tara commentating said it best, that (summary) he needs this kind of skate to learn how to skate well at Worlds.
A good example perhaps was Nathan 2017 Nationals v. 2017 Worlds: He blew every one out of the water at Nats and got a monster score, than stumbled to 6th at Worlds, after beating Yuzu, Shoma and Patrick Chan at 4CCs that year….

SidelineSkater

I've posted in the US pairs and dance threads about this, so I might as well for mens and womens.

It's a crowded field for the top 10-12 at worlds, which can be broken into a few groups.

With scoring potential, you have your top four likely as Ilia, Shoma, Yuma and Adam. Kao, Selevko, Britschgi, Shaidorov, in the second tier. Frangi and Memola rounding out the top 10. You still have to factor in Brown, Cha and Jin. We'll hopefully get to see the last two at 4CC this week to have a better idea where they stack up. Camden can also play spoiler a la Worlds 2022, but I see him more in the 11-14 range. I'm also happy if he proves me wrong!

Because it's A) men and B) quad city C) skating clean or not, there's no clearcut order. If clean, Jason B skates into the top 10 based on his PCS and GOE, because you know it's very unlikely for 10 others with quads to ALL go clean. However, it's a it's a very crowded top 10.

olympic

I've posted in the US pairs and dance threads about this, so I might as well for mens and womens.

It's a crowded field for the top 10-12 at worlds, which can be broken into a few groups.

With scoring potential, you have your top four likely as Ilia, Shoma, Yuma and Adam. Kao, Selevko, Britschgi, Shaidorov, in the second tier. Frangi and Memola rounding out the top 10. You still have to factor in Brown, Cha and Jin. We'll hopefully get to see the last two at 4CC this week to have a better idea where they stack up. Camden can also play spoiler a la Worlds 2022, but I see him more in the 11-14 range. I'm also happy if he proves me wrong!

Because it's A) men and B) quad city C) skating clean or not, there's no clearcut order. If clean, Jason B skates into the top 10 based on his PCS and GOE, because you know it's very unlikely for 10 others with quads to ALL go clean. However, it's a it's a very crowded top 10.
Well said. I think it won't take much for Jason to get there by March, ie- clean w/ 2 3As and super PCS. It will be an intense comp and there will unfortunately be a few men who have subpar performances. Probably the most interesting of the 4 disciplines this year and missing the Russian men the least [although their men were in the 2-3 quad territory and were likely final group material].

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information