U.S. Swimming Olympic Trials, June 4-20, 2021

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It’s two per country per event, not three. The only way a 3rd place finisher would be able to swim an event is if it is a relay event or if one of the original qualifiers were injured.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Ryan Lochte’s fluff piece - I’m just not sure what to think…..WAIT. NBC has a documentary about him and what happened in Rio and afterwards on Peacock? 🤔

JEAH!!! Lochte made the 200 IM final. 😐

His kids are cute.

ryanj07

I'm glad to not be the only one to remember Ryan's "JEAH!" lol. I remember all of the NBC fluff about him and his "art" during the 2008 Olympics. I had the biggest crush on him back then but thankfully it has not stood the test of time... my only excuse is that I was 18 at the time :lol:

I feel for Simone as she's the reigning Olympic and World champion in the event. As much as I hate the selection process for gymnastics and figure skating sometimes, I wish there was still a way she could be considered for the event and relays as she deserves another chance but that's sport.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I found out what Victory Row meant. Thats where the swimmers walked after medals and would sign autographs. After Flickenger and Smith got their medals, it was packed. Almost didn't get to see Dressel swim.

ETA - the live swimming was over an hour ago. NBC is saying live coverage.

Last edited:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Wall Street Journal has a column about the mayhem that is the warm up pool with a potential for 20 swimmers in a lane at one time. It's behind a pay wall, but the article makes it sound similar to an overcrowded pairs warm up.

On Tuesday morning, 18-year-old Ms. Denigan tried to make the smallest splash possible after jumping into the least crowded lane in the pool to get ready for the 400-meter individual medley. Then, she noticed Caeleb Dressel, the fastest swimmer in the world, pulling up alongside her. “He was sprinting and I was worried I was getting in his way, so I was like, ‘Oh, I’ll just scoot over a lane,’ ” she said. “Even when he’s just swimming regularly he’s still faster than my fast.”
Accidents can be painful. Mr. Phelps recalled a time moments before racing the 100 fly at the 2009 FINA World Championships when, as he was doing a butterfly breakout—pushing off the wall at top speed—his shoulder collided with an Australian backstroker’s face so forcefully that her goggles broke. “When I came up, I was like ‘whoa.’ I felt awful,” said Mr. Phelps. It didn’t help that, just like storm systems in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, Americans and Australians circle in opposite directions when lap swimming.

Sylvia

TBD
Thursday, at the end of a jarring, difficult day that she feared was coming, Manuel opened up. Her struggle was laid bare. After finishing ninth and failing to qualify for finals in her best event—leaving her with just one chance left to make the Tokyo Olympics, in the 50 free this weekend—she shared the heart-wrenching misery of her 2021 season. She talked about the elevated heart rate, the fatigue, the depression, the slow process of figuring what was wrong, the time away from training, and the too-little, too-late attempt to piece her Olympic quest back together.
In layman’s terms, Manuel burned her body out training and wasn't able to fully recover in time for the Summer Olympics.
:(

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Just FYI but turns out the Australian swimming trials are available on Amazon Prime - very cool to be able to watch in addition to US trials! Canada’s trials start tomorrow and will be streamed on CBC.

Sylvia

TBD

U.S. OLYMPIC TEAM TRIALS – SWIMMING - final weekend of coverage:
DateCoveragePlatformTime
Fri., June 18Qualifying Heats – Women’s 800m Freestyle, Men’s 100m Butterfly, Women’s 200m BackstrokeNBCSN/Peacock6 p.m. ET*
Finals –Women’s 200m Breaststroke, Men’s 200m Backstroke, Men’s 200m Individual Medley, Women’s 100m Freestyle (+ multiple semifinals)NBC9 p.m. ET/PT
Sat., June 19Qualifying Heats – Men’s 50m Freestyle, Women’s 50m Freestyle, Men’s 1,500m FreestyleNBCSN/Peacock6:30 p.m. ET*
Finals –Men’s 100m Butterfly, Women’s 200m Backstroke, Women’s 800m Freestyle (+ multiple semifinals)NBC9 p.m. ET
Sun., June 20Finals – Men’s 50m Freestyle, Women’s 50m Freestyle, Men’s 1,500m FreestyleNBC8 p.m. ET
*delayed coverage

Caeleb Dressel "swam 50.17 in the men's 100m fly aka the fastest in the world this year AND the 9th fastest swim in history.
(please note: this is a prelim 🤯)" - clip of his finish earlier today: https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/status/1406018198185578498 & https://www.instagram.com/p/CQR1bqZs0_q/

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

Is there an exact time for men 200im? I getting weather breakin all night probably and don't want to miss it.

ilovepaydays

Thank goodness! Nathan Adrian (#3) and Simone Manual (#2) were ranked overall well in their 50m prelims. 🤞

Although, for Nathan, #1 and #2 were literally Caeleb Dressel and Michael Andrew. 😬

ilovepaydays

Anyone else liking the addition of Elizabeth Beisel commentating with Rowdy Gaines during these Trials? I’m assuming Dan Hicks will be back for the Olympics (I believe Hicks is covering the U.S. Open Golf Major right now). Mike Tirico will be going back to the anchor desk, or course.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I do. I also enjoyed Aaron P in the arena. I didnt recognize the other in arena announcers, but they were very much like a Tanith/Charlie vibe.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Heads up for anyone watching KGW out of Portland - no tape delay tonight, same with tomorrow. They are broadcasting the swimming trials right now and track & field will be on at 7pm. No re-broadcast scheduled for later either.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Due to ADHD, I often drift from paying attention when they are not actually racing and then the race starts and I realize I don't know who is in which lane or even what race this is about to be so I'm like "well, it's the men, ah, this seems to be a fly, I wonder when it'll end???"

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information