Status
Not open for further replies.

skatfan

Hosts can take whomever they want, even two in the same group. (They just skip a selection from the next group, so it balances out .)
Let’s remember that at last year’s Skate America we had Nathan and Vincent - our top 2 mens skaters. (Yes I know Vincent had bombed at Worlds).

I can totally see 2 of our top 3 women at SA this fall.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I can too -- I think they'd want to ride the momentum of Liu's Worlds medal, but why bypass the reigning National champion, a crowd favorite and just behind Liu at Worlds?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just a note about Bradie and the GP. If she has recovered from her injury, I believe she could do the GP as a returning skater.
She can, but because her placement at Wotlds 2021 was 9th, she qualifies only for a host spot and her 2021 SB (Worlds 2021 score) gets slotted onto the 2022 SB Top 75 which makes her eligible for a 2nd selection. Same boat as Rika Kihira.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Didn't Gracie and Ashley go to the same Skate America in like 2016?

Gracie was reigning National Champion and Ashley was the highest finisher from the most recent Worlds.

carriecmu0503

Sometimes Skate America has the top two Americans competing because it really helps to excite the audience to buy tickets, and they can set up a rivalry to drum up interest. Sometimes they don't - I like to think it's due to it being smarter to try to get multiple entries into the GPF but I'm not sure if USFS thinks that strategically sometimes. I do think the more confidence the USFS has in their skaters in making the GPF, the more likely they'll pair them up at Skate America.

The most loaded Skate America had to be the 1995-96 one where the top four from Worlds plus Irina Slutskaya all competed. It was the first year of the "GPF" where it was called the Challenger Series Final. Now that the GPF has evolved to what it is now, and the rules are what they are, there's no way the top 4 from Worlds would ever be in one GP event ever again.
It was called the champions series final, not challenger. It had that title for the first two years of the series, for 9596 and 9697. For the first couple years at least, the final was actually after US and Canadian nationals but before worlds. I believe it was in February. It was really weird to have a competition that was supposed to be the fall finale happen only about a month before worlds. I’m glad they moved it to December.

honey

It was called the champions series final, not challenger. It had that title for the first two years of the series, for 9596 and 9697. For the first couple years at least, the final was actually after US and Canadian nationals but before worlds. I believe it was in February. It was really weird to have a competition that was supposed to be the fall finale happen only about a month before worlds. I’m glad they moved it to December.
It continued to be in January or February up until the 2002/2003 season. The exceptions being Olympic years when it would be in December. It moved to December permanently in the 2003/2004 season. I agree December is a much better time frame for it.

concorde

In case anyone is interested, rumor has it that Isabeau is competing in a local competition this weekend, Philadelphia Areas hosted by the Philadelphia Skating club in Ardmore. As with any early season competition, there is a high withdrawal rate.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Isabeau skated her short this morning and she will skate her long later today.

Apparently this is considered an "exhibition" since she is skating her Junior Worlds program there but domestically she is a Senior.
I was wondering about that because there were no senior level competitions at all at Areas.

SkateFanBerlin

I'm gob-smacked. I thought the world medal might encourage her to go on. Best of luck to her. She gave it her all in the last 2 years but faced some daunting obstacles.

Speaks to the need to raise the age of seniors in the US. Her winning nationals at 13 and 14 couldn't help but affect the careers of older US ladies. Again, proves that the highest jumping levels in young girls most often don't last.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Wow. I think, especially after this past season, we all sort of expected this, but I was hoping that her success at Worlds would spur her on for at least a couple more years.

Wishing her all the best and success in life. Skating is barely something that will define her, I'm sure.

jenny12

Aww man, I’m sad. Alysa looked like she was on an upswing at the end of the season, of course with her World medal. When she’s on, she has such a brightness about her. But if this is what she wants, I’m glad she’s doing it and not being forced to stay in skating. I wish her all the luck in the future and will greatly miss her.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Alysa Liu just announced her retirement on Instagram, sorry I tried to link the tweet but messed it up.

I’m crushed - love her! - but no surprise. I selfishly hope that she’ll stay in the public eye and even write a tell-all book someday. 📖 🕵️‍♂️ Just 16 and twice a US Natl champ…and bronze medalist at both the Jr and Sr Worlds. 🥳

Last edited:

livetoskate

I'm surprised too - who will still be competing this fall? Amber Glenn or Lindsay Thorngren, possible US champion for 2023? On the other hand, Alysa's life, as well as her dad's, has been in a lot of upheaval in the last 2 years and she's accomplished so much. She sounds like a very smart girl who will be heading off to a top college and having a great career outside of skating too. Thank you, Alysa, for so many great skating moments.

Jammers

Alysa had so much more to give this is a shame for sure. She could have dominated US ladies at least for a few of more years and won a couple more National titles and made another Olympic team. Karen is probably done Amber is inconsistent and Mariah is almost 26 and is maxed out technically. That leaves Bradie to keep the US ladies relevant until the younger girls like Lindsay and Isabeau get experience and take over. I'm sure there is some 13, 14 year old who's name we don't even know that will come out of nowhere and become the face of US skating by 2026.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information